Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
There have been many creative developments since the reboot. I really loved the characters of Karate Kid and Ferro Lad ... both of which, I understand, have made a return since the reboot. I also understand that they're reintroducing Timber Wolf.

The reboot is here to stay, and I'm certainly not suggesting that we try to undue current Legion history in favor of a previous incarnation. Although, as I suggested, there was a time when the reboot could have been avoided. Personally, I would have preferred a solution that could have been integrated in a more organic way.

I've also long held the opinion that if a reboot was going to happen (as it has) then it should be handled by people who have a strong understanding and appreciation for what was essential to the Legion's greatness.

So, long story short ... it's cool to be happy that Invisible Kid is back.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
draub
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for draub   Email draub         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
There have been many creative developments since the reboot. I really loved the characters of Karate Kid and Ferro Lad ... both of which, I understand, have made a return since the reboot. I also understand that they're reintroducing Timber Wolf.

That's correct...although at current time they're stranded on a planet that's only accessible once a decade. At least until Shikari finds 'em [Smile]

That would probably be a big bonus for you...getting to draw Karate Kid under better circumstances than the first (and last) time you got to draw him.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Steve

Unfortunately at the loss of Colossal Boy/Leviathon, Lightning Lad/Live Wire, and Element Lad. [Frown] So it's a trade off.
They can't even give me a Sun Boy! Steve, WHEN [Smile] you start working on the book, please bring Dirk Morgna onto the team.

Thanks.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
<< We could have simply returned to a time before the "5 year gap" with the young Legionnaires. They could have reported their findings to Brainiac 5, who would assure them that the time line that they visited needn't come true for them. He might tell them to keep it a secret from the others, but to consider their experience as a warning. Then, after the others left, we might see Brainy pondering quietly ... wondering if he truly believed what he had told them. What if his friends and Earth itself were truly destined for ruin? "No, it can't be. Such a fatalistic belief could destroy the heart of the Legion." >>

After about a year we could again send a group of Legionnaires into their future, and this time they might find something completely different. Perhaps they'd see a positive future, complete with Earth President Gim Allon presiding over a prosperous future. Maybe the Khunds could be beginning their integration into the mainstream of the United Planets when the Khund home world is attacked .. and the time travelling Legion could join forces with the adult Legion to defend it.

This would not only be an interesting story, but it would then put to rest the notion that the "dark" future of the "five year gap" was not the most probable future.

Whoever suggested that this could make a good elseworlds story was right. Hmmm ....

Steve Lightle

See pages of original Steve Lightle art at ... http://www.geocities.com/stevelightle/home.html
Or see Steve's interactive online Batman adventure ... http://www.onstaradventure.com/ba_comic.htm

Corrosive Kid
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by yarky:
When Levitz' stupid Death of Invisible Kid was undone and Lyle restored in even greater glory, I was overwhelmed. Lyle being my favorite Legionnaire ...

Lyle was killed off long before Levitz touched the title. The blame for his demise belongs to Cary Bates.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Unfortunately at the loss of Colossal Boy/Leviathon, Lightning Lad/Live Wire, and Element Lad. [Frown] So it's a trade off.
They can't even give me a Sun Boy! Steve, WHEN [Smile] you start working on the book, please bring Dirk Morgna onto the team.

Thanks.

The loss of Lightning Lad/Livewire & Element Lad is not the result of the reboot. Abnett & Lanning did that. Along with stranding Karate Kid & Ferro Lad and transforming Kinetrix into a statue of dirt.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glenn1952
unregistered

Steve,

I initially suggested that your proposal for the "5-year gap" storyline be incorporated into the prior Legion continunity in an Elseworlds story in an Interlac email.

I think your idea has a lot to offer and certainly would give some of us old fart fans an opportunity to revisit this issue again and maybe put this whole subject to rest...

Additionally, it would certainly be nice to see another Legion Elseworlds story. Any chance of you proposing this to Paul & the powers that be at DC?

Glenn

numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Steve,

On behalf of myself and the others who chat in the Legion Chatroom, I'd like cordially invite to join us every Tuesday in the "New" Legion Chatroom. We've set up a chatroom address for non AOL users and we'd love to have you join us. We chat every Tuesday from 5:30pm-6:30pm EST. If you don't have AOL, all you have to do is go to http://www.aim.com and download the AOL instant messenger and get a USERNAME. From there, send an AIM message to myself Currieray or to Bunglehex and we'll send you a "personal invite" which will take you instantly to the chatroom.

Hope to see you there!

Ray Currie
Long Live The Legion!
P.S. the URL is

aol://2719:10-4-The%20Legion

------------------
"One day, I shall come back, yes, I shall come back...until then there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxiety. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!"

"Invulnerability? Ha! How do you measure that against a God?"

"I was alone. A billion years of solitude. A billion more. Time blurs after awhile."

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve Lightle's two-part suggestion above for How to Avoid Death and Dissolution (also posted on LegionPics, but it's easier to reply here) ... well, it's too perfect in its being hopeful, and in the spirit of the preboot Legion, to improve upon. That's all I can say.

The Legion deserved, after thirty years, more than someone who simply wanted to Blow It All Up Real Good. I only wish a Lightle-type had been its steward, not a Giffen-type its abuser.

As to this, Steve:
>[...] This would not only be an interesting story [damn straight!], but it would then put to rest the notion that the "dark" future of the "five year gap" was not the most probable future. <

I think you must mean here "... was the most probable future," don't you? -That- is what oughtta be put to rest.

Its internal suggestion that the dark TMK-and-later future was probable or inevitable, with age and weariness, was what was wrong with it above all. The Legion is NOT properly about age and weariness! Not in characters, not in setting.

> Whoever suggested that this could make a good elseworlds story was right. Hmmm ... <

Put TMK-and-later into trade paperbacks with that Elseworlds seal on 'em, and they might actually be readable, as protracted graphic novels. Not a pleasant or enduring read, but a read. In monthly dribbled-out chunks, they were nearly unendurable, quite apart from ALL their other brutal faults.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Its internal suggestion that the dark TMK-and-later future was probable or inevitable, with age and weariness, was what was wrong with it above all. The Legion is NOT properly about age and weariness! Not in characters, not in setting.

I agree with this.
Although, I don't see that becoming older and more weary means that a team automatically becomes jaded and hopeless.
The JLA and the JSA are both teams of older members and they have very youthful attitudes, most of the time.

I wanted the team to age gracefully and the younger members to be added in as would normally happen.
We may not have ended up with Lyle and Andy, but we may have got a cousin or a nephew.

The Adult team didn't HAVE to self-destruct and the Young team didn't HAVE to be clones.
And NONE of it HAD to be rebooted.

Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

quote:
...When Paul saw that I had designed a Legionnaire with a full mask, I think that sparked his desire to spare Supergirl from her Crisis fate, by making her the lady behind the mask...

Ah-HAH! I was right!!! Thanks, Steve! Now I can put a copy of this next to my "Kara is Sensor Girl" letter that got published waaaay back when.

------------------
"Deathtraps: When the forces of Evil acquire superpowers, they apparently also develop the ability to conceive of ridiculously convoluted ways of finishing off the good guys. It's not enough to just shoot someone in the head; instead villains conceive of deathtraps involving a bandsaw, a tub of lard, six straws, a flock of geese, and the Statue of Liberty.
Some smart villains are probably seeking therapy to help them with this."

--A.C.E. Supers (a really fun RPG)

DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

quote:
...I'm still not sure what scientific reason might be given to explain why Quis' creations should always dissolve.
Maybe we need some Julie Shwartz science to explain this.

How's this--
The target object has an innate molecular/crystaline structure. The energy patterns of the Quislet entity over-ride and erase these, both reshaping the target and replacing the previous rigid structure with flexible patterns. For example, a diamond's interlocking hexagonal bonds would be transformed into an amorphous gel.

When the Quislet-induced energy vacates, the target automatically reverts to its original state. Unfortunately the now absence of an innate pattern causes the atoms of the target to fall apart as a fine dust that quickly blows away....

Theoretically a Quislet-altered target might be stucturally stabilized by either the imposition of a new pattern or by locking in the Quislet pattern. Unfortunately, such a process would probably take longer to set up than the normal Q-time limit. Still, it might be possible to accomplish this in a controlled environment, with Quislet affecting a target already prepped for post-Q stabilization.

Okay, lecture in paranorm metastructural re-engineering over. ...

Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Good explanation, I say.

Personally, I always like the disintegration after-effect.

And Quislet was always a favourite of mine, by the way.

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmic Toast Man
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmic Toast Man   Email Cosmic Toast Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
<< We could have simply returned to a time before the "5 year gap" with the young Legionnaires. They could have reported their findings to Brainiac 5, who would assure them that the time line that they visited needn't come true for them. He might tell them to keep it a secret from the others, but to consider their experience as a warning. Then, after the others left, we might see Brainy pondering quietly ... wondering if he truly believed what he had told them. What if his friends and Earth itself were truly destined for ruin? "No, it can't be. Such a fatalistic belief could destroy the heart of the Legion." >>

After about a year we could again send a group of Legionnaires into their future, and this time they might find something completely different. Perhaps they'd see a positive future, complete with Earth President Gim Allon presiding over a prosperous future. Maybe the Khunds could be beginning their integration into the mainstream of the United Planets when the Khund home world is attacked .. and the time travelling Legion could join forces with the adult Legion to defend it.

This would not only be an interesting story, but it would then put to rest the notion that the "dark" future of the "five year gap" was not the most probable future.

Whoever suggested that this could make a good elseworlds story was right. Hmmm ....

Steve Lightle

Didn't they explore this in Legion #300? We saw several different 'futures' while Braniac 5 was trying to cure Douglas Nolan (Ferro Lads Brother). At the end of the book we saw a reality where he was invited to join the Legion after the death of his brother and faded from their 'reality' to merge with his counterpart? Couldn't this whole 5 year gap be explained as the team viewing one of those 'other' realities?

..Ahh what might have been [Smile]

------------------
Better to have a mind open as a book than closed as a fist

From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Cosmic Toast Man said:
<< Didn't they explore this in Legion #300? >.

Yes, that was the issue I was citing as precedent for the "alternate futures" premise.

I think that the only continuity problem might be that post-Crisis DC seemed to be saying that all alternate futures were merged .. but that just doesn't make much sense to me.

Steve

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.