Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Steve,

I just wanted to say that we really do appreciate the insight and info you provide. We eagerly await whatever else you wish to contribute to our knowledge of the backstory of the Legion.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
I do want to thank everyone for the kind reception I've received here on the DC boards.

For those that have asked what I'm doing next ...

I've just finished the pencils and inks to a Flash interior story, written by Stuart Immonen, which should soon be scheduled to appear. I've drawn a short Lightray story that is, to my knowledge, has not appeared in print yet. I'm also looking forward to receiving a script from the Legion office very soon. I'm very much open to the idea of doing more comic work, possibly for DC Comics.

In recent years, I've concentrated on doing work that has appeared outside of comics, although I've kept my hand in with various comic related assignments featuring characters like; Batman, Red Sonja, Superman, X-Men, Tommi Trek, Spider-man, Wolfshead, Silver Surfer, Tim Can, and the ever popular Peking Tom & Bobbi Sox. I've recently contributed art to video games and electronic comics, sometimes featuring various DC characters. I've done animation and toy design work, once again, sometimes involving well known comic book characters. My art has appeared on-line at Cartoon Network's web site, and can currently be seen as part of an interactive Batman adventure at ... http://www.onstaradventure.com/ba_comic.htm

I moderate, and am actively involved in, an e-mail message group known as ArtPost. Anyone that is interested can register with Yahoo!groups and join ArtPost.

Thanks again to everyone who has welcomed me here at the DC boards.

Sincerely,
Steve Lightle http://www.geocities.com/stevelightle/home.html

See Steve's interactive online Batman adventure ... http://www.onstaradventure.com/ba_comic.htm

You can subscribe to ArtPost by sending an e-mail addressed to: ArtPost-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

ArtPost exists for people who want to share art files and images. This can include previews of upcoming works, as well as graphic files from private collections. Our emphasis is on comic book style art, but other graphic files are also welcome.
*Please note that ArtPost welcomes all ages and all artists at their varied stages, so postings must reflect a general audience.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Question for Steve--

What LEGION work have you done POST-boot?

To the best of my ability to recall, you did the awesome covers for SECRETS OF THE LEGION, which featured expanded post-boot origins for Star Boy, Spark, Umbra and Ultra Boy.

Is that it for the post-boot era so far?

Can't wait to see your upcoming LEGION work-- I'm sure it will look wonderful!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
MLLASH asked ...
"Question for Steve--
What LEGION work have you done POST-boot?

To the best of my ability to recall, you did the awesome covers for SECRETS OF THE LEGION, which featured expanded post-boot origins for Star Boy, Spark, Umbra and Ultra Boy.

Is that it for the post-boot era so far?

Can't wait to see your upcoming LEGION work-- I'm sure it will look wonderful!"

I did four covers on the Legends of the Legion miniseries (Umbra, Ultra Boy, Star Boy, and Lightning Lass ... I think). I also did a couple of Legion covers on Showcase a few years back.

I'm certainly ready to try my hand at the current Legion ... again. I hope old and new Legion fans will check out my issue(s).

Steve

See pages of original Steve Lightle art at ... http://www.geocities.com/stevelightle/home.html
Or see Steve's interactive online Batman adventure ... http://www.onstaradventure.com/ba_comic.htm

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's not forget the XS solo story illustrated by Steve from the FLASH 80-page giant a few years ago! It's worth picking up just to see Steve's lovely rendition of Jenni.
BTW Steve, isn't XS based on a character you created for the LEGION - ALLEGRA??

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

lil'rhino asks:
"BTW Steve, isn't XS based on a character you created for the LEGION - ALLEGRA??"

Ahhh! A man with a good memory!

Are you one of the Legion fans who first saw Allegra in issues of the Legion APA KLORDNY? She did later appear as part of a super team called New Genix, in much the same way that Dave Cockrum's Nightcrawler was originally intended for the Legion but ended up in the X-Men.

Allegra was part of the early planning for the Legion reboot. As I originally conceived of her, she was a descendant of Wally West who was born with the curse of both an accelerated metabolism and accelerated aging. Allegra's development, feeding, general well being and teaching were entirely overseen by high speed computers. No normal human could even begin to communicate with her. Thank God that Iris and Barry Allen could step in to raise her as their own. The idea was received by my editor and members of the Legion "reboot" team of creators with enthusiasm, as I recall.

You could certainly speculate that Allegra inspired both Impulse and XS. Who can say?

Thanks for remembering the first Hispanic Legionnaire, Allegra.

Steve

Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Why did you call her Allegra? Any pictures?

Any information about other Legionnaires you created who never made it into the book? What about that leopard-print wearing Legion applicant? Did you have any plans for her?

Also - did you design Tellus? Have you heard from any other Legion artists if they liked/hated drawing him? He was quite unusual-looking (which helped make him one of my favourite Legionnaires.)

Who was responsible for Comet Queen's "look" anyway?

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I just want to say that "Allegra" is a far better code name than "XS". I love Jenni, but that name really sucks.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Latino Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latino Lad   Email Latino Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
Thanks for remembering the first Hispanic Legionnaire, Allegra.

Steve

Woo hoo. [Smile]

Is XS is Hispanic too?

From: Arizona, Planet Earth, United Planets | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Comet King said:

<< Why did you call her Allegra? Any pictures?>>

I named her Allegra (before the much advertised alergy drug) from the base word Allegro ... which basically means music played fast. I changed the "o" to an "a" to feminize it.

Pictures of the character have been circulated since 1992, in Legion fanzines and eventually in Marvel Comics Presents. The version in MCP had short hair, although the original had shoulder length hair. The other difference is that Allegra was originally supposed to be wearing a scarlet and gold costume rather than the purple and silver that I gave her for her Marvel appearances.

Steve

Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Cool! Does anyone have any links to any pic sites?

Also Steve - anything you can tell me about my faves Comet Queen and Tellus would be most appreciated!

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve Lightle has also posted his Allegra design here ... but you'll need to join the LegionPics Yahoo! Group first to see it, if you aren't a member already. You can do so at the second link, if you have a free Yahoo! ident, or by sending a blank e-mail here.
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, that first link in the msg above was to a posting by Steve of his Allegra in action.
Here is a another, similar panel scan.

And here is Steve's posting of the cover of Marvel Comics Presents 175, the only mainstream comic that Allegra appeared in.

Here is a scan of Steve's one-page character profile with a design sketch for Allegra, along with his thoughts on the whole experience of proposing and submitting this character (and others) for the Legion. A smaller scan is available here.

Finally, that e-mail (not Web, though you can do it there as well) address/link above for subscribing to LegionPics does work, sans the "http" prefix that this msg board added ... but you'll need to join with a (free) Yahoo! ident in order to see items in the LegionPics archives.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xero
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
Instead of forcing to join a Yahoo group why not just post a mirror of the images that is more accessible?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

I would do just that if I had the bandwidth, but I don't. My allotment renews at my Internet provider every calendar month. All I can afford to offer is bandwidth for my own fan fiction. (And some art for my own Yahoo! Group, Pteraphiles.)

You're missing an excellent bet, though, if you don't try LegionPics. A host of fan artists, and other fans adept with a scanner and Photoshop, and a few pros such as Steve Lightle, all provide fascinating material.

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.