Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
jafabian
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmic Toast Man:
The killing of a character as 'cutting edge' story telling is getting soooo old. It is also (IMO) LAZY story writing.

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER! Get this, one time Chris Claremont was asked about his replacing Cyclops with Angel after the death of Phoenix storyline, and why he got rid of him after less than a year, and his reply was that the character was "functionally redundant." That all he did was fly around. Geez, compare him to Wolverine or Nightcrawler. You could say the same thing.

Steve talks about Ferro Lad. At least Ferro Lad wasn't around long enough for the reader to show attachment to him and the Sun-Eater/Fatal Five storyline was a damn fine story.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Chris didn't kill the Angel.

He just felt he didn't enjoy using Warren in stories.
Every writer has that right and they all evercise it, chosing the individual line-ups they will use in their stories.

It would have been different if he'd killed Angel because he didn't like using him in stories.

DC does it all of the time, if the posts on the boards are to be believed and some of them are.

Hippolyta and Maxima were a travesty, especially Hippolyta.
[Frown]
Anyway, . . .
hrumph!

Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
The Man From Cargg said:
<< I don't think ever gracious M'onel would be very attracted to Umbra's current edgy persona. And if he was able to tame it - then she wouldn't be as interesting a character. I think Steve's suggestion of Brin and Tasmia could work. Brin has enough of an edge to match her's but has demonstrated a strong loyal and caring side ... >>

I don't know why, but I can just see them as a team. as Shady pointed out, it might not be a perfectly stable relationship, but I could certainly see it as a passionate one. Who knows if it would last. Wolves have gotten a bad rep through the years, but aren't they supposed to be fiercely loyal too?

Of course, the next few issues of Legion may tell us a lot more about the temperament of this incarnation of Timber Wolf. It should be interesting.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espike
unregistered

I don't think that Vi's progression with being more outgoing or Masculian had to do with her being a Lesbian. In fact I would call her Bisexual rather than Lesbian. I think her being attracted to Ayala was well written and didn't sterotype a certain role. So she wasn't a "lipstick" lesbian.
Chemical King and Invisible Kid "hinted" at relationship was extremely well done in the Secret Orgin issue of Chemical King. Really what was hinted at was Chemical King being "attached" or in Love with Invisible Kid and Invisible Kid was protrayed as a good friend and role model. Now Element Lad should have been totally out! I would rather see legion characters turned gay then turned into a big snake with mechanical arms.

SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Espike said:
<< I would rather see legion characters turned gay then turned into a big snake with mechanical arms. >>

Well, when you put it like that ... LOL!

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
. . . Of course, the next few issues of Legion may tell us a lot more about the temperament of this incarnation of Timber Wolf.
Steve

I really hope that DnA make Brin follow the wolf in temperment and habit, as closely as possible.

I love wolves.

They're one of the most wonderful animals in the animal kingdom, I think.
But, their loyalty to their mates is one of the reasons that I'm not sure a Brin/Tasmia relationship would work.

The alpha males seek an alpha type female, true, but she has to be able to function as a team player ~ not just for duty's sake, but for real and true.

Currently, Umbra has been shown to be a loner, who only participates in a team because she has no true alternative that doesn't lead to obscurity.
Her planet wanted her in the Legion, she wants to champion her planet again, so she complies.

You drew the cover for her origin issue, Steve.
That story made it very clear that she considers herself 'the One'.
She may make room for a husband, if he's powerful enough and helps her postition on Talok (and she loves him, if she's capable of loving anyone, at this time) but she won't want a 'team' or 'pack' around.

Unless she changes, of course.
We never know.
[Smile]

I think I'd prefer Shikari and Brin, if I haven't said that already.
She's a throw-back warrior, who's skills are very much like Brin's (other then the tracking/pathing abilities), only without the great strength.
She comes from a warm, team environment, as well.
She's definitely alpha, too.

I think she's perfect for him.

Maybe a competition between her and Tasmia would be interesting, as long as Kari wins!
Brin might like it, anyway.

Shady

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowplay in Candlelight:
Chris didn't kill the Angel.

He just felt he didn't enjoy using Warren in stories.
Every writer has that right and they all evercise it, chosing the individual line-ups they will use in their stories.

It would have been different if he'd killed Angel because he didn't like using him in stories.

DC does it all of the time, if the posts on the boards are to be believed and some of them are.

Hippolyta and Maxima were a travesty, especially Hippolyta.
[Frown]
Anyway, . . .
hrumph!

Shady

I know Chris didn't kill Angel. But I understand your point.

My point was how I believed the reason of Angel being "functionally redundant" was actually his not being inspired to write the character. Were we to believe the "functionally redundant" statement then Hawkman wouldn't fly as a book. (Oww...I really typed that?)

But I completely agree with you on what you said on Maxima and Hipployta. All comics mangement executives say at one time or another that comics needs more female characters. When they allow stories to elimimante two who have had a large impact in the DCU it only shows just how indecisive they can be.

Question for you Steve: what is the due process for a script that introduces something that would have major impact in that comics' future issues? Example, let's say you take over the writing duties of LSH. You decide to right a wrong and bring back Leviathan, even though he looked pretty dead in his final issue. Where does the script go? Does it just go to the editor then back to the writer, or do other people look at the script? What if the editor says no and wants a rewrite? Does the writer have the right to appeal to any higher ups? Does it depend on who the writer is? (I bet Paul Levitz never had that problem!)

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowplay in Candlelight:
She's definitely alpha, too.

That raises an interesting question. Are there any Legionaires who aren't "alpha"?

After all, they were almost all chosen for the Legion because they were the best acording to their planetary standards. You could say being an alpha is a requirement for membership.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne3003
New Old Guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne3003   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne3003         Edit/Delete Post     
In today's CBG Express e-mail to its readers was an item of interest. Listed among those with upcoming bithdays: Steve Lightle, November 19.

Happy Birthday, Steve.

From: Athens, Georgia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

One day before my 47th.
So, Steve, here's my favorite poem about our shared sign--

If you should see a Scorpio,
Then, goodness gracious, say hello!
For if his presence you ignore,
He'll soon declare a private war;
However, if you're over-nice,
You'll pay an even bigger price;
For once he says your friend he'll be,
You'll never never an enemy!

--Frank Jacobs
MAD for Better or Verse

DavidEdwardMartin
unregistered

One day before my 47th.
So, Steve, here's my favorite poem about our shared sign--

If you should see a Scorpio,
Then, goodness gracious, say hello!
For if his presence you ignore,
He'll soon declare a private war;
However, if you're over-nice,
You'll pay an even bigger price;
For once he says your friend he'll be,
You'll never never an enemy!

--Frank Jacobs
MAD for Better or Verse

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Well, DavidEdward is approaching in 47th, Happy Birthday!
What year is Steve approaching?

Shady

--------------------

Come, join me!

SteveLightle

Wow! Now this is a surprise ... Birthday wishes and poems! Cool!

One year I forgot my birthday altogether, until my wife spilled the beans on the 18th. Thanks for the reminder ... heh, heh ... She won't get me this year.

: )

SteveLightle

Shady says:
<< What year is Steve approaching? >>

I'm close enough to David that he can see me in his rearview mirror ... just a few years and I'll catch up.

Steve

Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Steve,

Funny that I should be catching up on a few posts this morning and I see there is birthday talk. Today happens to be my wife's birthday and for the few moments I'm not tending to her birthday needs, I'm sending out this query (non-birthday related; it's obvious you are being vague about revealing the truth of your age!)

Here's my question. Perhaps it's already been asked before, but if you had to pick just one, do you have a personal favourite legionnaire?

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.