Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
jafabian
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
I liked it when Saturn Gil and Cosmic Boy were an item for awhile. They have a lot in common in their personality traits. Both are extremely dedicated to the LSH and see a lot of the same viewpoints.

A brief fling between Saturn Girl and Timber Wold might be interesting, just as a poke at the whole Jean Grey/Wolverine relationship.

And I'd like to see the flirtatious Sun Boy/Inferno from the Bierbaum days go with Dreamy for awhile. But they're really just using each other. But who' s using who??? (Whoa. Sounds like a Three's Company episode.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

I liked it when Saturn Gil and Cosmic Boy were an item for awhile. They have a lot in common in their personality traits. Both are extremely dedicated to the LSH and see a lot of the same viewpoints.

A brief fling between Saturn Girl and Timber Wold might be interesting, just as a poke at the whole Jean Grey/Wolverine relationship.

And I'd like to see the flirtatious Sun Boy/Inferno from the Bierbaum days go with Dreamy for awhile. But they're really just using each other. But who' s using who??? (Whoa. Sounds like a Three's Company episode.)

jafabian
unregistered

Steve, just read your message on you primarily posting on this thread. I posted this originally on the Steve Lightle return to the Legion thread:

Hey Steve. Count me in on having you return to the LSH.

I haven't collected the book since Live Wire was killed off. Since Keith Giffen's "Blade Runner" experiment w/ the LSH I have felt this book had begun to lose the qualities that made this series unique and special. The Bierbaums and Chris Sprouse slowly began to recapture it but when they left I felt the book began to go in a different direction again. Live Wire being killed off was the final straw for me and having Element Lad killed only pushed me away further. I don't even need to mention how I took it when Leviathan was killed.

I must stress that I'm not taking these "deaths" personally. I fully understand that these are fictional characters and that the writers have every right to write their stories. In my opinion though, these actions were done for the sake of writing a story and were not a natural progression. In fact, quite the opposite. I felt the death of Colossus in X-Men was similar to these situations and also out of character and unessesary from a storytelling perspective. Consiquently, that book lost a reader. I hope I made my point clear and if I didn't I apologize.

The recent Ra's Al Ghul storyline caught my eye however. And news that you will do some upcoming issues only makes me excited to collect LSH again. It was the story "The Fatal Five Who Twisted Time" by Cary Bates and Dave Cockrum that got me started in comics and as far as I'm concerned you drew the last LSH issues where they were true to their original conception.

I heartily applaud your return and anxiously await the publishing of your latest work. Now if only you could go over to Doom Patrol with Gary Martin again, life would be perfect.

No Watcher. I don't live in the past. I just know a good thing when I see it.

IP: Logged

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I replied to this on the LegionPics list, but I don't think I made much sense (I hate the flu), and it's more appropriate here anyway sooo...

I agree with Shady about a Brin/Tasmia or an Imra/Querl pairing. They're just too much alike.

If the conflict between Umbra and Cham was for a reason other than xenophobia, then I'd like to see them together; I thought they had some good scenes together during Legion Lost. But I think the xenophobia is probably an insurmountable obsticle at this time.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brin and Vi get together. They're both avid fighters, and they're also both supportive types. However, they react to things differently. Brin lives by his instincts; Vi doesn't trust hers. She's an introvert; he's an extrovert. He's volitile; she's calm. I think it's a good ballance.

The only couple a see as set in stone are Tinya and Jo. If Sensor started walking, I might add Val and Jeckie to the list. They deserve a happier ending than they got the first time around.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yarky
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yarky           Edit/Delete Post     
I am still hoping for an Invisible Kid - Violet pairing, they would make a wonder Spy oriented couple. And Lightning Lass and Chameleon was such a surprising match in the early reboot that it should be given another look. For something a bit more unusual, how about Imra and Lar Gand? He certainly has the patience needed to work with her and both have earned the other's respect numerous times. Imra (with permission) could understand Lar in ways that only she has the ability and control to manage (via telepathically seeing his memories). Two strong people with troubled pasts, working together toward a better future.
From: Houston TX | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think ever gracious M'onel would be very attracted to Umbra's current edgy persona. And if he was able to tame it - then she wouldn't be as interesting a character. I think Steve's suggestion of Brin and Tasmia could work. Brin has enough of an edge to match her's but has demonstrated a strong loyal and caring side (with Tinya and baby Nah) as well. I'd love to see Lar with Lu this time around. They seem to have some kind of a bond (see their interaction in Legion World #1 as well as their mutual Ra's butt kicking session). It would be nice, post-boot, to finally see Lu's crush on Superboy-substitute M'onel reciprocated.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael C Lorah
unregistered

in the current continuity, I would have some serious reservations about M'Onel and Lu being together, simply because she considers him a god. That sort of worship doesn't really equate well to equal partners.

However, if you want a Superboy substitute, I know reaction to Kon-El has been pretty lukewarm around this board overall, but I thought there was some interesting chemistry between he and Lu during the brief SB-LoSH crossover and I've always liked the character. I relate to Kon-El in a wearing our hearts on our sleeve sort of way. [Smile]

The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
[in the current continuity, I would have some serious reservations about M'Onel and Lu being together, simply because she considers him a god. That sort of worship doesn't really equate well to equal partners.]

Michael - I know that was Lu's reaction to Lar in the beginning but I think she has come to terms with it and now sees him as humanized, while still appreciating his Valor legend. In any case, I like the idea of switching the couples around a bit post-boot so I'd be happy to see her with anyone but Chuck.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd like to see some couples switch around, too.
Just not the 'great loves'.
Somehow, those should stay intact and there really wasn't very many of them.

Jo and Tinya
Shady and Mon
Lydda and Rokk

Any other couples really have long term Legion romances, ones that crossed eras and minor boots before Zero Hour?

Garth was Proty, so I don't think Imra and he count ~ especially since he was dead and Proty revived before they had a romance.
Brainy and Kara only kissed.
Laurel ended up having a child with Rond.

Ayla was with Vi only after years with Brin.
I seem to remember Lightle saying something to the effect that he and Levitz certainly never intended the two of them to be a couple during their run on the Legion.
(I hope I'm remembering those comments correctly.)

I might add Val and Jeckie, except to this point, there IS no Jeckie.

I'm not usually a traditionalist, and I'd be interested in other combinations for those 6 people, if I had to.
I'd just like them to END UP with each other.

sigh
Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, I just realized... after all this time in the reboot, Lydda and Rokk STILL have not met.

Someone should really fix them up!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Shady said:
<< Ayla was with Vi only after years with Brin.
I seem to remember Lightle saying something to the effect that he and Levitz certainly never intended the two of them to be a couple during their run on the Legion. >>

I think that the attraction was the brainchild of a later creative team, but my memory isn't clear on that. The funny thing is that some fans credit my issues for laying the groundwork for the relationship. They cite a sisterly hug that I drew, suggesting that it was an expression of physical attraction. I suppose that any personal interpretation is valid, that certainly wasn't my intention. I simply wanted to show a real moment of human camaraderie. I probably would have been slow to embarrass Brin by having him lose his girl to another team mate. I always thought that Timber Wolf didn't get enough respect, in those days.

I do remember being invested in the idea that Vi should show more self confidence, and often tried to show her strength. It was other creators who interpreted that strength as masculine. Personally, I despise stereotypical interpretations. A strong woman should not be assumed to be a lesbian. In fact, I believe that stereotypes are generally uninteresting and are a lazy man's plot device.

I remember drawing one fun scene, in which a female hand snakes its way inside Sun Boy's tunic. Dirk automatically assumes that he is feeling the touch of Nura, but is surprised to find that the hand belongs to Vi. This girl was full of surprises, and certainly wasn't beyond an interest in the guys.

Like I have said before, Vi had a history of dating men, and I saw no reason why her growth in confidence should be interpreted as a masculine trend. I'd have preferred the introduction of new bisexual or homosexual characters, rather than changing the established sexual preference of existing characters. On the other hand,the suggestion that Chemical King and Invisible Kid were gay, seemed much more likely, as I don't recall seeing prior examples of their sexual behavior. I don't recall any inconsistencies with their previous characterizations.

Maybe it's just a matter of storytelling philosophy. I think that story and character developments should be organic and not contrived.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Steve Lightle

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Jafabian wrote:
<< I must stress that I'm not taking these "deaths" personally. I fully understand that these are fictional characters and that the writers have every right to write their stories. >>

I've got to say that I'm a little concerned about the high death rate of the Legion. I am glad, on the other hand, that there haven't been a lot of deaths in recent days.

I realize that the readers understand that these are fictional characters. Still, they have to seem real while you are reading about them, and you do form attachments to these fictional characters. If that were not true, then what would bring a person back for more adventures? If the readers don't care about the characters then why are they reading the books? If they aren't "real" to them, then why shouldn't readers jump ship each time that there is a change in creative staff?

When I was a kid, first starting to read comics, I heard about the death of Ferro Lad. It seemed unimaginable to me. How could a super-hero die? This just couldn't be. I had to seek out the issue, and find out if there was any truth to all of this. In doing this, I became invested in the character, and when I eventually found the Ferro Lad issues of Adventure Comics, I came to respect and admire this guy ... and Ferro Lad's death meant something.

Now that the superhero mortality rate is so high, do these deaths mean as much to readers? Are we becoming blase? Do we care as much? Are the characters caring as much? Ferro Lad was honored and mourned.

In our speculation about what character may die next, have we forgotten to mourn those who have fallen?

Has death just become a gimmick to sell more issues? Superman died didn't he? Hal Jordan died? Robin died ... and died ... and ... You know, maybe death is losing its sting.

If so, that's a sad thing.

Steve Lightle

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
... You know, maybe death is losing its sting.

If so, that's a sad thing.

Steve Lightle

Exactly.
The 'death' trend ruined the X-Men for me.
And DC's 'hit lists' for giant crossovers nauseates me.
[Frown]
Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmic Toast Man
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmic Toast Man   Email Cosmic Toast Man         Edit/Delete Post     
The killing of a character as 'cutting edge' story telling is getting soooo old. It is also (IMO) LAZY story writing.

In the first 25-26 years of the Legion I count only 4 Legion Deaths (5 if you count Lightning Lad but they brought him back). They were mourned. They were honored. And they were remembered for their heroics. (If I missed someone please feel free to add them)

Ferro Lad
Invisible Kid
Chemical King
Karate Kid

In the last 16-17 years after Crisis and especially during v. 4 It seemed as if they kept trying to up the death count in each issue. It got to the point they felt that blowing up the moon and the EARTH were GOOD plot devices.

Why must there be such a high body count to be considered 'trendy' or 'relevant'?
The trend to kill off characters someone doesn't want to write with the thought... "someone else can figure out how to bring them back to life" is getting old too.

If you want 'realism' in comics this is about as far from it as you can get.

The Legionnaires who passed on (with the exception of Lightning Lad) remained dead. (yes there was that clone story ... but it wrapped up in one issue). Other writers were still able to write these characters in flashback or 'untold' stories that didn't diminish their sacrifice or weaken the stories of their deaths.

Sorry for the long meandering post...but this is a topic that has bothered me for years.

------------------
Better to have a mind open as a book than closed as a fist

From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

I did like an earlier post where it was said a character should never be brought back from the dead, unless it's proven that they never died in the first place. Therefore, I still hold hope that things will be done right and our favorite Legionaires come back.

And dammit, I want Superboy back. But Streaky, Comet and Beppo can stay home. (Notice I didn't add Krypto????)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.