Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
You won't be disappointed. I'll look for Walking Dead this weekend when I go by Acme

Just so you don't think I didn't remember. My comic shop doesn't carry copies of Walking Dead. The only order in those on standing order. I'll have to see if I can track down a copy somewhere so I can live up to my end of the bargain. [Frown]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well so you know I did get issues 0-3 of Hunter/Killer and read them. I did enjoy them but I do prefer Waid's LSH. I will add it to my list though since it did intrigue me.
~~~~~
Posted from my PSP

[ August 22, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CreativityKid
Legion of Substitute Heroes Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CreativityKid   Email CreativityKid         Edit/Delete Post     
- Flash
- JSA
- Thunderbolts
- Green Lantern
- LSH

From: Pawtucket, RI | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Well so you know I did get issues 0-3 of Hunter/Killer and read them. I did enjoy them but I do prefer Waid's LSH. I will add it to my list though since it did intrigue me.
~~~~~
Posted from my PSP

Glad you enjoyed it Scott. I love the artwork and the story is really "intriguing" (good choice fof words for it)

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
It's been almost two years since I've been on this thread so I decided to review my current top 5 titles.

1. Still love Ultimate Spider-man

2. Invincible (if you are not reading this book, you owe it to yourself to pick it up) In fact... I like this book so much that I might pick up Kirkman's Zombie title "The Walking Dead" because of all the good things I've heard about it. Me and horror comics don't mix... that's how good Kirkman is on Invincible

3. Still waiting on the next Birds of Prey TPB

4. LSH... what can I say. The title has left me flat since Dream Crime and Foundations, but I'm a loyal kind of purchaser. Still my only monthly get.

5. Still waiting on the next Nightwing TPB

As for my previous titles...

Star Wars Clone Wars finished its run. Decent reading.

Bat Trades... Stopped after the two Hush Volumes. They were great though. Recently picked up Hush Returns and was left entirely flat by the book. So flat that I may not go back and pick up the War Games Volumes.

Exiles... well I hate to say it, but they've found themselves exiled from my reading list. I just stopped caring.

May go back to picking up Ultimate X-Men, but I'm still resisting that notion. Might put them on my gift lists.

[ February 08, 2006, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: minesurfer ]

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Lessee...currently I am really liking, in no particular order...

1) Birds of Prey
2) Jonah Hex
3) Wonder Woman

umm...not sure anything else I buy would make the cut...

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Fables
JSA
LSH
Gotham Central
Jack Staff (when it appears...)

And with Gotham Central now gone, Planetary moves into the Top 5, and mention must be made of JSA Classified and Rocketo.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Top Five books, huh? Well, in random order then...

1) Sam and Twitch (pay attention you Manhunter fans)
2) JSA
3) LSH
4) Hawkman
5) Planetary (this book makes me think, dagnabbit!)

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My Top 5:

1. X-Factor
2. Green Lantern
3. Fantastic Four
4. LSH
5. JSA (it's been tough going for the past few months, but I'm optimistic about the Levitz issues...# 82 hadn't arrived at my local shop yet when I went there last weekend.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Right now I'd say:

1. LSH
2. JSA
3. JSA Classified
4. Hawkman (I hope it will continue to be as Hawkgirl)
5. Infinite Crisis - I wasn't enjoying it till issue #4. I'm really looking forward to #5 now!

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
1. LSH
2. Green Lantern, Duh!
3. JSA Classified
4. JSA
5. Infinte Crisis

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thor2168
Cute-Baby-Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thor2168   Email thor2168         Edit/Delete Post     
1. LSH
2. Young Avengers
3. JSA
4. New Avengers
5. Hmmmm....

--------------------
I just can't BLOK it out!

From: The land of toys and stinky diapers!!! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I checked my old top five list and FOUR of them have fallen out, although one kinda by default.

Young Avengers What can I say that hasn't already been said? This is Marvel's best comic, and one of those rare comics that just gets it. Like the All-New X-Men, Byrne's FF, and even the Marvel Silver Age, it has an unknown excitement factor that somehow, despite many trying, cannot be bottled.

JSA This comic is the KING. Discounting Flash (due to upcoming changes), JSA has been comics best book for some time, and still is, and I'm confident, still will be for sometime. Top of my read list.

Legion of Super-Heroes I feel like its back. It's sharp and its fun and its the LSH again. Even with another reboot, I'm excited. Like many, I think I'm biased here, but I freely admit it. And I'm loving it.

Captain America Now this is good writing. And amazing art. And some risk-taking story-telling, but done in such a crisp, well-written way, with great characterization and I'm drawn in, despite early reservations.

Hawkman Anyone not reading this is stupid. Action, savagely likeable characters leaving my trying to catch my breath--and I'm loving it.

That was my post on August 16th, and its actually still the same. I have some slight reservations though: LSH is moving too slow for me and might now really qualify as a Top Fiver. JSA has me worried about post-crisis and Johns leaving. And the loss of Carter Hall to Hawkman could equal the loss of enjoyment for Cobalt Kid…but I’m willing to wait and see on all of these, because I’ve been so impressed so far.

I also don’t include mini-series, or I would put Infinite Crisis as a definite Top Five. Some of the Seven Soldiers stuff is also very good.

Honorable mentions
Birds of Prey
Daredevil – Bendis’ final arc was a return to a level of quality that shows how good he really is.
Ultimate Fantastic Four – Millar’s run right now makes it the best Ultimate title.
Fables
Runaways
Wonder Woman (by Rucka)
Green Lantern
X-Factor

Major Gripe
When this thread started in March 2005, I said (and still feel) that Flash was the best comic out there. Now I miss it terribly. One awful story following Geoff and now a new title…

Oh, and I'll really miss Gotham Central. One of the best comics out there since its inception and never a weak storyline.

[ February 08, 2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rurouni KJS
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rurouni KJS   Email Rurouni KJS         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Birds of Prey. It never sucks.
2. The Ultimates 2. Whenever it comes out, that is.
3. Freshmen. This mini has been quite a bit of fun.
4. LSH. Warts and all.
5. Aquaman. I wanted to list it much higher, but its pacing until these last few months leading up to the OYL revamp made Waid's LSH look like a Michael Bay film. Now, with the new writer coming, Jon Arcudi's made more of interest happen in 3 issues than in the six prior. (Someone tell these writers to stop writing comics like TV shows -- their comics only last 20 minutes and new episodes don't come weekly.)

Up-and-comers: JSA -- I've gradually tracked down nearly the entire series and am much more impressed with it than I was when I'd pick up an issue here and there. It's still hit-or-miss, but I like these characters well enough to want to follow along anyway. Johns' departure is a concern.... Young Avengers -- waiting on the 1st trade to sell me on it. Recent issues look pretty good, but the setup is the make-or-break for me.... X-Factor -- truth be told, this belongs in the top five. But I wanted to give Aquaman a shout out before it slips off into revamp oblivion.... Astro City -- every issue of this title is fine comics. Just not regular enough.

[ February 08, 2006, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Rurouni KJS ]

--------------------
-- Still here to help.

From: ATL, fool!!! WHAT!!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Some changes in mine since last August:

1. The Walking Dead
2. Jonah Hex
3. DC's Showcase Series
4. The Legion of Super-Heroes
5. Captain America

I have to admit the Legion is slipping. And with Warlord and Moon Knight coming up (assuming they are as good as the previews show them to be), the Legion may slip out of my top 5.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.