Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
1. Invincible- good indie super-hero book.

2. Ex Machina - that Vaughn guy has some good writing skills. the art isn't bad either.

3. Conan - sword and fantasy

4. LSH- so good, I can't wait till we get action figures.

5. JSA - awesome

From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
1. All-Star Superman. Just the best thing going.
2. Justice Society of America. Fantastic relaunch.
3. Fables. Still bringing it after 50+ issues.
4. Mystery In Space. No points for guessing why.
5. The Spirit. A reinvention that has worked brilliantly so far.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
1. Justice Society -- I don't need to say any more.
2. newuniversal -- I'm finding this really intriguing and the art's spectacular
3. S&LSH -- It was weak for a few issues but it's really picking up now.
4. Birds of Prey -- ditto
5. Skip Beat -- I wasn't going to add this since it's not a monthly, but I just can't put any other comics I'm reading ahead of it.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
1. All-Star Superman. Just the best thing going.
2. Justice Society of America. Fantastic relaunch.
3. Fables.

I'll agree with Miner on these three, and add:

4. Strangers in Paradise. It's had its ups and downs, but as the series heads for the finish line, it's been quite good.
5. Welcome to Tranquility.

I'm probably forgetting something, but right now those are mine. It's probably the first time since the late 80s that superhero books dominate my top choices.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wndola1
Ex-Female Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wndola1   Author's Homepage   Email wndola1         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow great minds!

Here is mine:
1. Supergirl & LOSH
2. Birds of Prey
3. JSA
4. All Star Superman
5. X-Factor

Runaways and Checkmate are right up there though.

--------------------
http://twitter.com/wndola
http://www.diversionarium.com
http://wndola.livejournal.com

From: New England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
1. The Walking Dead
2. JSA
3. All-Star Superman
4. 52
5. Supergirl & SLoSH

The Walking Dead hasn't moved and the Legion is barely hanging in there, everything else is new. And that's mostly because I'm just not reading much anymore. Still getting Jonah Hex and a number of others but haven't actually cracked open the issues for quite a while. Really have become bored with comics as a whole lately. If I ever did bite the bullet and stop buying altogether, TWD is probably the only title I'd still collect, most likely in trades.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
1. S&LSH
2. JSA
3. Teen Titans - I'll be upset when Johns leaves ;-(
4. JLA
5. Green Lantern

It's amazing that I'm not really reading any Marvel nowadays. I agree with Lightning Lad that I'm a little bored with comics. I understand the business decision behind long story arcs for the trades but it would be nice to have some shorter complete stories every now and again.

From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
my current favourite 5 [ and in order ]

1. 'Justice Society Of America'

2. 'Supergirl & The Legion Of Super Heroes'

3. '52'

4. 'Teen Titans'

5. 'Justice League Of America'

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
1. JSA
2. S&LSH
3. Ultimates 2
4. Ultimate Spider Man
5. Ultimate Fantastic Four/Teen Titans tie

Funny, I'm not really that much of a JSA fan, but right now the title is excellent. It is not often that LSH gets kicked out of first place on my list... As for the Ultimates, it's just a treat. I just wish that it'd come out more often.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Like Lightning Lad and a few others I'm also a bit bored with comics at the moment. That, added to the fact that I'm in kind of a tight money spot right now too means I've dropped a load of titles recently, and most of the ones I'm still buying are just barely hanging on.

The titles I buy (ranked in order of enjoyment) -

1. All Star Superman
2. 52
3. Justice League of America
4. Justice Society of America
5. Wonder Woman
6. Teen Titans
-. Brave and Bold (whenever it starts)

Titles I've dropped within the last year or so -

* Legion of Super-Heroes ('cause I *hated* it)
* Green Lantern ('cause funds wouldn't allow it)
* Shadowpact ('cause it disappointed me - I loved Day of Vengeance)
* Fables ('cause it frustrated me - don't like Snow or Bigby)
* Jack of Fables ('cause funds wouldn't allow it - though I did love it)
* Superman/Batman ('cause it turned to suck)
* JSA Classified ('cause I just stopped caring about it)
* Planetary ('cause it just became pretentious twaddle)
* Astro City ('cause "realistic" doesn't have to mean "endlessly depressing" Kurt)

The only title I'm not buying right now that I *REALLY* wish I was - is Walking Dead. I read so many good things about it and whenever I flick through it at the shop (quickly so as not to reveal spoilers) I love what I see. I could kick myself for not buying the opening issues when I had the chance! No shops have them any more and on eBay they go for outrageous amounts. A Lot of the first 30 issues recently sold for something like $250 on there! I know I should just go the Trade route but I'm not emotionally ready for that yet. [Wink] I may as well give up comics altogether if I'm going to start buying books. [Wink]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
JSA, X-FACTOR, TEEN TITANS, UNCLE SAM & THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS and 52 are all consistently great titles that make me smile when I see them in my stack.

Any of the following could replace US&TFF when it's run ends next month: RUNAWAYS, ATOM, SHE-HULK, JLA, BIRDS of PREY, UNCANNY X-MEN (which would've made the top five if Brubaker hadn't committed to featuring villainous Vulcan without the other characters in a third- or is it a fourth? of his initial 12 issue storyline. Drop those issues, and you've got a sold piece of entertainment. Would've worked as back-ups spread throughtout the series). Adjectiveless X-Men might make the cut once the lineup shifts a bit (it's a tad too unreformed villains as members heavy, for me).

I'm looking forward to THOR, MIGHTY AVENGERS (though I'm leery of it's writer), COUNTDOWN, Dwayne Macduffie's FANTASTIC FOUR, BRAVE AND THE BOLD...

I also want to mention two series that come out very infrequently but are worth the wait and effort searching them out: AGE OF BRONZE and A DISTANT SOIL. They're both black and white and would be fairly difficult to join 'in progress'. Fortunately, earlier issues of both are available in trade paperback.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
It's a whole new year, and possibly a whole new ballgame.

Let's see what comics are currently flipping my switch...

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA.... *THE* best book out there right now!

TEEN TITANS.... The Johns/Daniel run has been pure excellence!

HEROES FOR HIRE.... This Gray/Palmiotti series off the heels of DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON has been a lot of fun, and the current issue (# 6) has been the best yet!

SHE-HULK.... Still hard to beat this for fun and well-written comics.

52.... I think I can pretty much call it an ongoing; It's surpassed my hopes!

These were my stats as of Feb. 2007. Tme for a FALL 2007 update!

Favorite 5 (no particular order)

THE WALKING DEAD

It's absolutely addictive, even moreso once you've read the whole thing. My advice to those wanting to try it: Go the trades route, and don't buy just one. Get at least 2 (more if you can afford it) because you WILL want to see what happens next!

WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY

Gail Simone's small-town story has me completely hooked. Something for everyone.

BIRDS OF PREY

Making its first official entry into the top 5 after many mentions of being on the cusp, Bedard's recent done-in-one issues have pushed it over the hump, and I'm loving the new young teleporter Misfit.

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA

Pretty much a standard here, for me.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA

I'm digging the whole "Legion of Doom" thing.

Contenders:

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES

The recent B&C run has been MUCH better than the WaK run, but I'm betting once Shooter starts, we're going to see a quick re-entry into the top 5.

SHE-HULK

Too soon to tell how PAD's run will go, but his first issue was good.

SHADOWPACT

Still a favorite. Is Willingham gone?

GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY

That first issue was very good.

BOOSTER GOLD

I'd probably place it at # 6. Could break the top slots if quality maintains.

INFINITY INC

And I'd likely rank this at # 7 after only 2 issues. Time will tell wether it's upwardly mobile or not.

This top 5 is a first for me... Not 1 but 2 non-mainstream titles!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Supergirl and the Legion
Legion 31
Green Lantern Corps
Countdown
Castle Waiting

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
1. X-Factor -- So the conclusion of the last arc was unsatisfying. So what? There's still plenty to keep this at the top of my list: characters I care deeply about, an atmospheric setting, strong plots, sharp humor, good art (on every other arc, at least).

2. Captain America -- I don't know where it's heading, but the journey is a thrilling rollercoaster ride.

3. Green Lantern -- The excitement of the rocking Sinestro Corps War epic has been diluted by a dip in quality as it approaches the end (or is it? See below.) And where will Johns take the book once the SCW is over? After all, this story had been building since GL: Rebirth. In brighter news, the art continues to be consistently great, with Mike McKone scheduled for the next arc.

4. Green Lantern Corps -- Dave Gibbons will be leaving soon; his replacement, Peter Tomasi, is the former GL editor who revitalized the franchise, but can he write? Also, DC's apparent last-minute decision to extend the SCW because it's their only unqualified success ATM could have disastrous consequences.

5. X-Men: Emperor Vulcan (LS) -- I never would have thought I'd enjoy an LS that spun out of the disastrous year-long Shi'ar arc in Uncanny X-Men, but I am enjoying it, a lot. It's space opera done right, and if the next issue treats the Imperial Guard with the respect they deserve, it could rocket (forgive the pun) to the # 2 or # 3 spot.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Umbrella Academy
Atomic Robo
Captain America
Fables
Birds of Prey

--If the Lightning Saga Legion hangs around after their run in ACTION, That title could be one of my top 5. Barry and Matt Frac's Order is a solid T5 contender, as is IDW's Fallen Angel. JSA, Booster and ASSupes are in my Top 10. TWD is on my trades-only list.

Hopefully Francis and Shooter can revive my interest in the WaKboot Legion.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.