Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

YOUNG AVENGERS ...Marvel's top book for me currently. Totally rolling with that "All-New X-Men/Perez Teen Titans/New Warriors" this book is a HIT vibe. I've loved every issue so far.

HAWKMAN ...the past 6 months or so have seen my favorite Hawk-stories ever. The current storyline with all the old villains and Golden Eagle has been totally aces.

JSA ...rocking the house as usual.

TEEN TITANS ...no changes here either.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ...It's back, baby.

FALLING OUT OF THE TOP 5...

OUTSIDERS ...that horrid 2-part fill-in knocked it right out of the top 5 for me. That mess shouldn't have seen print. Here's hoping next issue sees a rebound.

SUPREME POWER ...How the mighty have fallen. This book is on my list of ones to drop at the slightest provocation.

FLASH ...Geoff's run ends soon.

CONTENDERS FOR THE TOP 5...

SUPERGIRL ...0 & 1 were a LOT of fun!

JSA CLASSIFIEDS ...ditto.

SHE-HULK 2 ...She's back in October, you know.

ULTIMATES 2 ...Almost makes the top 5. Close, close.

Above were my stats as of last August, not counting minis.

Here's the current stats (no particular order):

YOUNG AVENGERS I *wish* the WaK Legion "felt" like this for me.

SHE-HULK Back with a vengeance, baby.

THE THING It's Slott-tastic!

JSA Still standing!

TEEN TITANS Ditto!

FALLING OUT OF THE TOP 5

HAWKMAN Still enjoyable, but It's golden run had to end at some point; am very curious about the upcoming change to HawkGIRL, though.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES I've not felt so blah about the Legion since the worst days of DnA's run.

CONTENDERS FOR THE TOP 5

OUTSIDERS It hasn't made it back to top 5 yet, but very close.

SHADOWPACT I loved the "Day of Vengeance" event so much, and I'm elated about Willingham's return to artwork!

BIRDS OF PREY Is always a good read.

DROPPING THE BALL

JSA CLASSIFIED Loved the Kara/Amanda Conner story; I was less thrilled with the Injustice Society story.

SUPERGIRL Is it still being published?!!?

ULTIMATES 2 Far too irregular shipping.

MINIS OF THE MOMENT

DEFENDERS was a hootenanny!

DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON # 1 was brimming with promise.

MARVEL ROMANCE REDUX Cannot *wait* to pick it up.

I (HEART) MARVEL I'll even read the Wolverine, Spider-Man, Daredevil and (insert top-tier Marvel character I could care less about here) stories.

INFINITE CRISIS **THE** comic-book event of the past... well, a LONG time.

X-STATIX: DEAD GIRL Milligan & the Allreds, together again. SWEET!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
My current top 5:

1. Young Avengers- is it just me or is there a real Barry Windsor Smith feel to that art?

2. Y-The Last Man- Brian Vaughan is a genius

3. Ex-Machina- see above

4. Ultimate FF- just plain fun

5. LSH- wouldn't have been up here 3 months ago, but I feel like it's starting to come together.

Too irregular but still good: Astonishing X-Men, Ultimates 2, Ultimate Iron Man

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Two new series have gotten me pretty excited. We'll see how long they remain in my top5...
1 Green Lantern
2 B.P.R.D.
3 New Avengers
4 X-Factor
5 Nextwave

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES I've not felt so blah about the Legion since the worst days of DnA's run.

And were you feeling so "blah" by Legion Lost #6? [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Scott... why is "Walking Dead" so appealing to you? I love "Invincible" and would probably consider trying just about any Kirkman penned title at this point, based on "Invincible". I'm just a little leary of a "horror/zombie" comic. If you feel like it, give me your best sales pitch for "Walking Dead". What makes it great?

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Young Avengers

2. Birds of Prey

3. New Excalibur

4. Teen Titans

5. JSA/OUTSIDERS (TIE)

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
AND just for fun!

6. Manhunter (Awesome awesome book)

7. New X-Men

8. Exiles

9. She-Hulk

10. Hawkman

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It's a whole new year, and possibly a whole new ballgame.

Let's see what comics are currently flipping my switch...

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA.... *THE* best book out there right now!

TEEN TITANS.... The Johns/Daniel run has been pure excellence!

HEROES FOR HIRE.... This Gray/Palmiotti series off the heels of DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON has been a lot of fun, and the current issue (# 6) has been the best yet!

SHE-HULK.... Still hard to beat this for fun and well-written comics.

52.... I think I can pretty much call it an ongoing; It's surpassed my hopes!

FALLING OUT OF THE TOP 5:

YOUNG AVENGERS, how I miss thee (and no, I'm not interested in the YA/Runaways miniseries).

THE THING, cancelled far too soon. Well, things for the memories. *tee hee!*

CONTENDERS FOR THE TOP 5

WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY, if its excellence continues.

SHADOWPACT.... waiting for the one, shining kick-ass moment, but continually pretty good.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by minesurfer:
Hey Scott... why is "Walking Dead" so appealing to you? I love "Invincible" and would probably consider trying just about any Kirkman penned title at this point, based on "Invincible". I'm just a little leary of a "horror/zombie" comic. If you feel like it, give me your best sales pitch for "Walking Dead". What makes it great?

Scott recently like got me hooked on the Dead. It's a great drama book, with characters that are very human. Kirkman nails them all.

I can't speak for him, but reading it is like reading LOST at it's best. Our heroes are faced with an unpleasant situation, and there's excitement with every new leg of their adventure. But that pales in comparison with watching them interact with each other.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
As for my Top 5 these days...

Fables is fun and gripping and exciting and breezy.

Ultimate X-Men isn't your X-men or my X-men. It's a whole new breed, and they kick butt.

Aquaman is the new adventure comic. It's not Orin, but it's still damn good.

Jonah Hex is reviving the western comic.

S&LOSH I think WnK are really getting into the team now. I expect it to just get better and better.

Those first two I only read in tpb. I came late to the party, so it just seems easier to read them that way (and it's cheaper.)

With Mouse Guard & Secret Six over this is a fairly recent change up in my list.

[ February 01, 2007, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: CJ Taylor ]

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't get that many comics, but I can fill out a top 5 list:

1. Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes. It's my favourite.
2. The All-New Atom. More fun than humans should be allowed to have.
3. Blue Beetle. Straight-ahead superheroics done right.
4. The Spirit. Its quality is obvious but I'm not yet attached to the character.
5. JSA. Oh, it's good and everything, but mostly what's keeping me with it is Starman curiosity.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
current Top 5
(1) JSA – I don’t think I’ve seen a stronger start to a relaunch since, hell, the gap in between Action Comics #1 and $2!! (I kid, I kid, I have no idea if such a thing exists). Hands down the ‘must read’ comic right now…

(2) 52 - …unless you’re reading 52. This is the comic I read first each week, and will be until it ends. This is IMO the best thing to come out of all comic book companies since I’ve been reading comics, which means about 1990. If you’re not reading it—ouch, that sucks for you.

(3) Captain America – The only other returning comic from a year ago for me (the other is JSA), Captain America remains the best thing Marvel is putting out there and I would say is actually tied for being possibly the best ongoing comic book in comics. The writing is so strong and so top notch that its like a punch to the gut, and the art is suberb. I’ve never read Cap this good, and I actually have read all the Cap stories in the Golden Age, Tales of Suspense and Avengers.

(4) Daredevil – Again, this is the other great thing Marvel is putting out that shows the House of Ideas is still able to produce comic books that are equally as good, if not better than anything else out in the industry. Probably the best transition from one writer’s long run on a comic to another would be Bendis to Brubaker, as Bendis’s run on Daredevil was IMO the single best piece of work he’s ever done (and I’m by no means a Bendis fan), and Brubaker’s run is actually even better! This is up there with Miller’s two runs, and may actually have surpassed them. About five years ago, I liked Daredevil but didn’t love him—now after these past few years, I can honestly say that Daredevil is one of Marvel’s best characters.

(5) Fables – Its official in my eyes, that Fables has inherited what Preacher inherited from Sandman, and Moore’s Swamp Thing before it. It’s a staggeringly excellent comic book that is filled with amazingly written scenes, dialogue, characters, subtle moments, intense action and great, great drama. Pure genius, pure brilliance.

Falling out of the Top 5
(1) Legion of Super-Heroes – I still enjoy it, but not nearly enough to make it qualify for the Top 5, or Top 10. The stories just aren’t knocking my socks off, and just like the Reboot, I still can’t get used to a different Legion than the REAL one. Seeing Thom in JSA has only made me long even more.

(2) Young Avengers – I’m kinda over this. It was great, but I’m greedy and the wait has taken forever. When it comes out again, that will be great, but in the meantime, meh.

(3) Hawkman – much like Flash the last time I posted to this thread, I’m annoyed as hell at what they did to Hawkman. They basically made one of the absolute stupidest moves ever by taking Carter out and the book has sucked horribly even with just Kendra. Terrible decision—someone should be cuffed across the back of the head like a kid acting up at the airport.

Honorable Mentions
- Green Lantern – Post OYL, Green Lantern and Teen Titans have been consistently excellent, making them must-reads that have me gleefully waiting in anticipation. Green Lantern has been great, and is the first time this comic has been this good since I have been on this planet. I absolutely love it.

- Teen Titans – just like above, OYL, Teen Titans has been mind-blowingly good. I’ve eaten up every issue and loved them. I’d rank this higher than all Titans runs since Perez and even better than Young Justice (which I loved).

- X- Factor – all of the X books are good right now, though not all deserving to be in this elite group. X-Factor, on the other hand, most assuredly does. Absolutely excellent, and I highly recommend it.

There are of course tons of other great comics, but I’d rather not list them all in a “Top 5” post. Both Marvel and DC, and a bunch of independents. I’d rank All-Star Superman, but it doesn’t come out enough to deserve it, even if All-Star Superman #6 is the single best comic book produced since 1986. And really looking forward to reading more of Cooke’s ‘The Spirit’ series in 2007!

Oh, and…’Still mad an entire year later’
The final issues of Flash and the relaunch with Bart. Perhaps the most annoying thing to me personally in years. Flash has SUCKED since Wally left and it’s a decision that never should have been made. No good has come of it, not even 0.01%.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
A "top 5" list for me ought to be a simple thing... as I've been buying less and less as the months go by. In no particular order...

1 - JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA -- I'm hoping Geoff Johns has gotten over his "never-ending escalating" plot syndrome. I'd like to see him tell "complete" stories with an ENDING, and a nice gap between stories. Does everything have to be NON-STOP sopa-opera ALL the time? Dale Eaglesham is the 1st "regular" artist on this book (Jerry Ordway doesn't count) to blow Steve Sadowski out of the water. And he draws prettier women! Courtney finally looks like she always should have, and the new girl cracks me up. I admit-- I LIKE "new" characters, sometimes reading the 10,000th appearance of ANYBODY can be wearing...

2 - GREEN LANTERN -- I hope Hal finally gets it thru his head to stop taking STUPID chances (like not wearing his ring in potentially dangerous circumstances). Geoff Johns (HIM again?) performed another miracle when he brought Arisia-- my #1 FAVORITE GL-- back. Wow. Ivan Reis, "doing" Neal Adams' style better than Adams, is doing amazing work. I hope more stories get Hal off-Earth. The planet has too many costumed heroes to make his presence necessary-- or logical.

3 - GREEN LANTERN CORPS -- this has varied with different writers. Patrick Gleason's art is mind-boggling, but sometimes it's a bit difficult to follow the actual stories when the art is TOO "distracting". Dave Gibbons proved he's 10 TIMES better when he's doing the drawing himself. I could go for a lot more issues with him on the art. Guy Gardner is running neck-and-neck with Hal, I think he's being better-written now than ever before.

4 - USAGI YOJIMBO -- Stan Sakai never disappoints! I am very apprehensive about the upcoming "arranged" marriage involving Lady Tomoe-- I like her too much to want to see such a horrible thing befall her, and hope Stan can find a way out of it for her.

5 - BIG BANG PRESENTS -- with its rotating anthology format, you never know what you're gonna get from issue to issue, but that's always been one of the big appeals of this title. Of late, Protoplasman was fun, Super Frankenstein MORE so, the Will Eisner tribute episode of Knight Watchman was downright spooky in its "accuracy", and coming soon, Teen REX, a Jack Kirby KAMANDI tribute. I wish this could come out more regularly, it really deserves bigger sales & a higher profile.

It hit me the other day that far too many books I really have loved over the last few years have disappeared... or only appear on a sporadic basis. SUPER MANGA BLAST, which I only ever bought for CANNON GOD EXAXXION, is no more-- and I am NOT looking forward to "having" to buy EXAXXION collections in a shrunken "digest" format. the art deserves to be seen "full size". STRANGERS IN PARADISE has remained gripping, though often disturbing, and Terry Moore is bringing his epic to a conclusion very soon. There was -- what-- ONE issue of LIBERTY MEADOWS that came out recently, after it'd been MIA for far too long, and rumor has it Frank Cho is too "busy" at Marvel to be able to spend more time on what he really SHOULD be doing.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
My faves:

1) 52-- Like Cobie, it's still the first comic I read each week, which definitely says something for it. Not every issue is an A+, but it's been consistently good throughout the run.

2) The Spirit-- It's awesomeness cannot be over-stated. I've like the character since I picked up the first two Archives on a whim awhile back, and this title has put me on a quest to buy the rest of them. And, again, Darwyn Cooke may just be the best to happen to comics since the staple.

3) All-Star Superman-- I wish it came out a little more frequently, but few titles so consistently satisfy when they're there.

4) Jonah Hex-- Brilliant Western Adventure, and consistently interesting every month.

5) Detective-- Again, each issue manages to entertain me. What more can you ask for?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I regularly read and love Jonah Hex and Detective Comics too Eryk--great choices! Every month I'm entertained and walk away pleased with the purchase.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.