Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
In no particular order:
- the immortal iron fist
- green lantern
- captain america
- daredevil
- JSA

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Among monthly-appearing titles:

Fables
Welcome to Tranquility
Legion of Superheroes
The Spirit
Umbrella Academy

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
It's hard to pick five...

Let's see:

The Boys
Fables
X-Factor
Noble Causes
Everything with the old Legion in it (from this month on: Action Comics)

If it would still come out -> Squadron Supreme would be another, but's it's been on hold for a year now... [Frown]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This was really a no brainer, and that surprised me.

1) Umbrella Academy - it is just that good.
2) Legion of Super-Heroes - less Kara has been much better.
3) Walking Dead - I read it in trades, but it still counts monthly.
4) X-Factor - PAD makes it a fun read.
5) Jonah Hex - and I'm not a western guy

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Lash’s post, so I’m stealing the way he did it. Here’s my last list:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
current Top 5
(1) JSA – I don’t think I’ve seen a stronger start to a relaunch since, hell, the gap in between Action Comics #1 and $2!! (I kid, I kid, I have no idea if such a thing exists). Hands down the ‘must read’ comic right now…

(2) 52 - …unless you’re reading 52. This is the comic I read first each week, and will be until it ends. This is IMO the best thing to come out of all comic book companies since I’ve been reading comics, which means about 1990. If you’re not reading it—ouch, that sucks for you.

(3) Captain America – The only other returning comic from a year ago for me (the other is JSA), Captain America remains the best thing Marvel is putting out there and I would say is actually tied for being possibly the best ongoing comic book in comics. The writing is so strong and so top notch that its like a punch to the gut, and the art is suberb. I’ve never read Cap this good, and I actually have read all the Cap stories in the Golden Age, Tales of Suspense and Avengers.

(4) Daredevil – Again, this is the other great thing Marvel is putting out that shows the House of Ideas is still able to produce comic books that are equally as good, if not better than anything else out in the industry. Probably the best transition from one writer’s long run on a comic to another would be Bendis to Brubaker, as Bendis’s run on Daredevil was IMO the single best piece of work he’s ever done (and I’m by no means a Bendis fan), and Brubaker’s run is actually even better! This is up there with Miller’s two runs, and may actually have surpassed them. About five years ago, I liked Daredevil but didn’t love him—now after these past few years, I can honestly say that Daredevil is one of Marvel’s best characters.

(5) Fables – Its official in my eyes, that Fables has inherited what Preacher inherited from Sandman, and Moore’s Swamp Thing before it. It’s a staggeringly excellent comic book that is filled with amazingly written scenes, dialogue, characters, subtle moments, intense action and great, great drama. Pure genius, pure brilliance.

Honorable Mentions
- Green Lantern
- Teen Titans
- X- Factor

And I’m actually a little shocked at how similar the list now is. Here’s my current top 5:

(1) Fables – still one of the best reads not only now, but anytime ever in comics. I actually think the series has never been better than it is right now. Each issue is usually the best comic in the stack of comics I need to read.

(2) Justice Society of America – the restart of the title kicked new life into it and it was already one of the best comics on the market. Geoff Johns shines here and I hope he never stops writing this comic. I never thought Hourman, Dr. Mid-nite, Liberty Belle and others would be some of my favorite characters and now they are! Plus the art has been fantastic.

(3) Captain America – Ed Brubaker may just be the best writer in comics, and Steve Epting may just be the best artist. Marvel’s Cap can go toe to toe with anything else someone puts up as the best ongoing series in comic books and has been that way for three years now. Each character, each page, each panel shines with something amazing. Marvel’s best comic.

(4) Daredevil – and this is Marvels second best comic. Brubaker here is equally phenomenal, and this may end up being the best period in DD’s history. I was never a Matt Murdock fan until recent years and now I probably feel more attached to him than 99% of Marvel & DC’s characters.

(5) Green Lantern – which has been nothing short of spectacular from the get-go (especially since OYL), but now moreso than ever with the Sinestro Corps War, which is probably the best thing DC has done in the last decade. Great writing, great art, amazing pacing and tension that keep me tuned but best of all is how Johns pays proper respect to all past Lanterns, whether Hal, Kyle, John or Guy, or the other alien Lanterns like Arisia and Tomar-Tu. Green Lantern Corp is also a great comic, but slightly below these top five.

Honorable Mentions
- Booster Gold – still too early to tell, but with a few issues already just outside the top five.
- X-Factor – consistently great, though what keeps it just out is sometimes it drags a bit, but still better than the majority of stuff out there.
- All-Star Superman – this is actually a great comic, but we’re doing monthly comics, not quarterly ones and I have no patience for that.
- Mice Templar – hey, its still way too early, but this was so fun that I can’t help but be pumped about it and rank it high.
- Jonah Hex – thought about including this in the top five, but GL beat it out. Amazing each week. Can’t wait for Jordi Bernet
- The Spirit – it sucks that Darwyn Cooke is leaving. This is the blueprint to what most comics should try and be. Its damn near perfect.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
1) JSA ~ This has been at the top of my list since it relaunched. Great art & great storytelling.

2) Invincible ~ Continues to be one of the best reads every month.

3) Checkmate ~ As much as I hate, hate, hate Amanda Waller, this is a great book. Glad I took a chance on this one because it certainly isn't the type of series I would normally pick up.

4) Teen Titans ~ I'm really enjoying the way the team has evolved, particularly with the new members. Love Kid Devil, Ravager, & Miss Martian and of course, Tim has always been a favorite.

5) Blue Bettle ~ Much like Invincible, it's a great book dealing with a new hero coming to grips with his powers and the responsibility they bring. As much as I miss Ted, this is a great book on it's own and pays significant homage to Ted as a true hero. If you aren't buying this, I would encourage you to give it a shot.

Some also rans:

Shadowpact ~ Still enjoying it though it seems to have lost a little bit of steam recently.

Infinity Inc ~ This could easily break into my top 5 if the creative team manages to maintain their level of excellence.

Tranquility ~ Gail has a winner on her hands here.

JLA ~ This series started out slow & I almost dropped it but held on for the Lightning Saga. I've really enjoyed it since.

Green Lantern ~ Picked it up to check out the hype. I'll be onboard at least until Sinestro War finishes.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLK
longtime listener/first time caller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLK   Email SLK         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Fables - I agree with everything Cobalt Kid said. It's the one book I look forward to the most each month.

2. JSA - I was annoyed at the thought of starting the book over again with a new #1, but Johns really is taking it in a new direction. Starman is the breakout character of the year AFAIC.

3. S&LSH - Bedard's put some new life into it for me. Smaller focused groups taking on smaller missions should be the norm. Waid was a bit too ambitious andnever let us get a feel for the characters before he put them in earth-shattering situations.

4. Green Lantern/GLC - I admit I only got on board for the Sinestro Corps, but I like what I see. I may stay on after the War is over.

5. Countdown - Ok, I probably lost most people here, but I like this series. Sure the art needs work, but it's been an entertaining read for me each week. Plus it's got Lu in it. She's my fave, so unless they kill her, I'm hooked.

From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
As 2009 draws to a close, what's doing it for you these days?

THE WALKING DEAD

Wow, just like in 2007... this book easily retains a slot in my top 5.

BLACKEST NIGHT

I might as well count miniseries. Especially ones that are done WELL. And make use of heroines like Mera. I mean, c'mon.... MERA. She freakin' rawks, as I always knew.
Plus I'm uber-excited about the upcoming 1-shots that continue numbering of long-cancelled titles.

DOOM PATROL featuring METAL MEN

I will freely admit that it is the Metal Men by Giff/DeM/Maguire that throws this easily into my top 5. I love everything they have ever done together and this is no exception. The DP lead has amped up with the current Blackest Night tie-in as well.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Even the wretched death-soaked ending of the last issue I read isn't enough to pull this usually-excellent book out of my top 5.... YET. Waiting to read the next issue and see if that still is true...

SECRET SIX

This book has been vastly underappreciated, IMO.

BUBBLING UNDER

ADVENTURE COMICS

Krypto!!!! The LSH (I really enjoyed the recent Sun Boy/Polar Boy tale)!! Paul Levitz on the way! Excitement level for comic... rising!!!!

JUSTICE LEAGUE

Yeah, Robinson shocked the crap out of me by recently killing 2 of the rare established gay JLAers... something he would have been the LAST writer I would suspect of doing... but I'm still excited about his all-new all-now JLA coming up...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Flash
JSA
Legion
The Losers
Teen Titans

Fables would be in here if IU read the book monthly...but I'm getting the Trades.

Been a while since I did this...kinda weird too, since I don't really read 5 books on a monthly basis.

The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead is by far the best book I am reading at the moment. Being a fan of Zombie Cinema, I love the concept itself...a zombie movie that doesn't end. There is an ever changing cast, with a few steady characters that have been around for the long haul. Others come and go...usually by some horrific means. New threats are introduced, and some of the most frightening threats are not the living dead that roam through the book.

Adventure Comics - The Legion of Super Heroes

I love the Legion, always have and always will. Looking forward to the new Levitz era.

The Flash

Whichever book/mini is currently going. Barry Allen is back, and while I would have been happy without him returning, I am enjoying having my favorite character of all time back in comics.

Blackest Night

Just reading the mini, with a few odd issues here and there, for the rings. Enjoying it, and should probably be reading GL as I love the trades I have read of John's run so far.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
REBELS

Stealth's (current) fate keeps this out of my top 5 for now... we shall see where this whole Blackest Night thing goes...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
1) The Walking Dead - Consistently well written and suspenseful.

2) Detective Comics - Beautiful imaginative artwork. I'm having fun getting to know this new version of Batwoman.

3) Warlord - A total nostalgia trip. No heavy thinking. Pure escape. Grell obviously loves this series and his love for it is infectious. As a bonus, not a Black Lantern in sight.

4) Doom Patrol - The perfect team for Giffen's sensibilities. He's just nailing the characters of Cliff, Larry, and Rita. This is the most fun I have ever had reading the Metal Men.

5) Batman: Widening Gyre - Since we're counting miniseries. The return of Silver St. Cloud has captured my heart. The mysterious Baphomet is keeping me guessing.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
In no particular order:

1) Fables - continues to captivate, and I'm warming up to the current storyline.

2) R.E.B.E.L.S. - I love this odd assortment of cosmic characters sucked into the ever-infuriating Vril Dox's web, as well as the development of the DCU's various worlds and races. I didn't like Stealth's fate either, but I'm hoping for some reasonable resolution.

3) Guardians of the Galaxy - wonderful space opera. The characters are mostly new to me, not being much of a Marvel reader, so it's all fresh. Best talking super-animals around. They're fiddling with alternate timelines, so some of the many deaths may get undone.

4) The Unwritten - an unusual journey into literature and a good mystery story. Different.

5) Doom Patrol/Metal Men - I'd buy separate issues for each team if they'd publish them. The Doom Patrol has discarded some of the extreme strangeness of Morrison's run yet developed beyond the simplicity of the classic DP. A good balance. And the Metal Men really are fun.

6) The Unknown - It would be in the top 5 if it wasn't a mini-series, but if it wasn't a mini-series, it might lose it's punch. A brilliant detective has a brain tumor, a limited lifespan and a burning desire to discover what happens after we die. Lots of surprises and double crosses in this.

This is probably the first time the Legion comic hasn't been in the top 5 for me. I like the Adventure stories, but they're nibbles - and by the time I get the actual issue, I've got a pretty good idea of what's gone on from the previews and posts from this forum. It will probably move back into the top 5 when Levitz comes on board and we get a full issue.

The Umbrella Academy, Secret Six and The Walking Dead I read in trades now. The Spirit lost me when Darwyn Cooke left. Welcome to Tranquility discontinued, or suspended - it's supposed to be returning but no news as to when.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
My DCU reads in order:

1. The Brave & the Bold - it's only just begun but I really think this is going to be one of THE great runs in comics. JMS is telling so much more than just simple super-hero stories here. Fantastic.

2. Blackest Night - the logical end-point of DC's 'death and destruction' journey of the last few years. I just hope that, as promised, we leave the era behind for good after this. The fact that it's a fun, surprising and exciting story with great art is icing on the cake.

3. Green Lantern - Absolutely top-notch superhero stuff. I read each issue and just have fun!

4. Adventure Comics - So much better than I was expecting. I'm even liking both of the Superboys. Will probably rocket up the list when Levitz takes over.

5. Detective Comics - The best art in comics. An absolute joy to behold. And a new character that I am very much enjoying.

And the rest:

6. Green Lantern Corps
7. Superman: Secret Origin
8. Batman & Robin
9. Superman: World of New Krypton
10. The Doom Patrol
11. Flash Rebirth

My non-DCU reads are just Madame Xanadu and The Walking Dead both of which are fantastic and would probably take the #4 and #5 spots from Adventure and Detective if I were to add them to the list.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
INCREDIBLE HERCULES-- Laughs, mythology and superheroics, loads of guest-stars... I think I enjoy this title month in and month out more than any other book. THOR's a close second, but it's schedule and change in creative team has me wary.

ADVENTURE/SUPERMAN-- A cheater's way to get the LSH in there- combining the back-ups in ADV. and the fleeting Legionnaire appearances in the Superman family of titles.

NEW MUTANTS-- Sure, I've got reservations, but I'm just enjoying these characters appearing together. Doug Ramsey's treatment in the most recent issue makes me hopeful for the direction of the title. Maybe.

DOOM PATROL/METAL MEN-- Empasis on the Metal Men, though each month the DP gets more enjoyable, I think. It's about to head into BLACKEST NIGHT. Maybe participating in a crossover will be a boon saleswise, too often I think such a situation just derails whatever momentum is being gained by a new title.

REALM OF KINGS/INHUMANS/IMPERIAL GUARD-- Are three minis the equal of one ongoing? If I had to pick one, it'd be Inhumans, as one of my favorite characters is once again the POV focus. Marvel's cosmic corner is a fun place to get sent.

I'm surprised Marvel outnumbers DC, as its usually the opposite for me. JSA, Teen Titans, etc. have been less enjoyable for awhile. Wonder Woman is close to the top. So are World of Krypton and Supergirl.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
New Mutants (So nice to see Dani kicking ass again. That schoolmarm stuff just did not work.)

Dark Wolverine (This is not your father's Wolverine. [Wink] )

X-Force (The gore's a little much, but the story and art are great.)

Adventure (Although I'm two issues behind right now.)

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.