Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Your 5 CURRENT favorite titles
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow... after reading my current batch I think I would have a hard time narrowing down to 5.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^You've come THAT far after considering dropping comics altogether, like, 2 minutes ago? [tease]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Leave him alone Chief...you know how he gets.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I was over them until I read them [Smile]

It may have helped that I recently did drop a lot of my borderline titles.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

It's been a year-plus since I updated this.

With the axe about to fall on the current DCU next month, I figured I'd go ahead and update now, for future reference.

My top 5 in JULY 2010 were:

THE WALKING DEAD... read 74 last night... Still love this book... Am so excited for the TV Show I could burst.

BOOSTER GOLD... the Giffen/DeMatteis/Batista team is golden.

SECRET SIX... Maybe DC's most consistently-good book.

DOOM PATROL... Ambush Bug. Crazy Jane. Good stuff.

I ZOMBIE... Mike Allred art at its POPpiest. A cast of characters I can truly appreciate. A premise that is both gross and fascinating.

NOWADAYS (in no particular order):

THE WALKING DEAD... pretty much a mainstay

SECRET SIX... there really is nothing else like it.

YOUNG AVENGERS... Children's Crusade still has 3 more issues which will probably take the better part of a year to come out, so I don't feel guilty about listing this one... besides, I consider it pretty much a series of miniseries these days anyway.

ZATANNA... I think DC is about to lose one of its current best titles next month.

I ZOMBIE... I swim in the lovely ocean of Allred's art. The story's picking up pretty well too!

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

(4) Scalped – When I finally meet LardLad face to face, I owe him a drink. Because his introducing me to Scalped is one of the two best recommendations for a title I’ve ever had. Scalped is the grittiest, roughest crime / noir comic book I’ve perhaps ever read and its also one of the most powerful and poignant. The characters in Scalped are so well developed that they appear to have more layers to them than most people I know in real life. There is no doubt that the best comic book company these days is Vertigo (sans the rest of DC Comics), and Scalped is a major reason why.

Sadly, I've learned today that Aaron announced at CCI that Scalped ends with issue 60. (51 was just released today.) I know it's going to end the way it's intended to end, but I was hoping for about 70-75 issues. [Frown]

Hopefully, Aaron and Guera will tell some untold tales as OGNs and what-not as they have said they might. I'm gonna miss this book!!!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

At least it's ending as it should. It's been so mind-blowingly good.

FYI, my little brother(age 23) just read the first 6 trades.

Only Walking Dead and Fables approach Scalped in terms of quality.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Gonna have to check the trades of this out.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Lash ordered me to come to this thread (because I am just now discovering Secret Six) I feel like a bad puppy ... that pooped on the carpet ...

But I am hard pressed to come up with 5.

1. Secret Seven 3 issue limited series
(It just ended and I could be more thrilled about the ending ... but it's still grrr eat)

2. X-Men Legacy
(yeah i kinda think so, I love Frenzy's dialogue, and I like the tracking down Legion's alternate personalities plot, and the characters are actually doing something rather than going on and on about something big that is coming that will change everything. )

3. IZombie

4. Journey Into Mystery
(It's more of a back story but I love the schemes/efforts of innocent little Loki)

5. Young Avengers Children's Crusade (whew I had a hard time thinking of five)

----------------------------------------------------

The big events have really taken the wind out of many titles for me. Before Fear Itself, another Avengers title or another X title might have made it on the list. The reboot has also totally juggled what I want to read, I'm trying a lot of stuff that will go away in September. I'm giving Power Girl and Zatanna another try and I'm pretty happy with them.

-------------------------------------------------
Some honorable mentions that I appreciate but don't love unconditionally

The Mighty Thor sizzles off the page because of Coipel.
Uncanny X-Force is well done all around.

-------------------------------------------------
I'm actually currently reading A LOT of back issues I missed the first time around.

Giffen did a short run on Outsiders recently I'm trying to track down. Tons of old Action Comics, and X-Force/X-Statics.

I'm devouring and in LOVE with Jack Knight Starman!! This has jumped into one of my all time favorite titles ... and is a contender for that desert island.

I'm waiting to read the Walking Dead and Irredeemable in the trades. so I'm a few months behind the rack on those.

I'm also just geting to know Secret Six and Birds of Prey through back issues. I quite like them!!

I'd like to give Batwoman and Batgirl Year One a go but I haven't been able to find them at the store.

It seems like my top 5 can change every few months based on the creative team and the big events.
-----------------------------------------------------

AHH I almost forgot. Dark Wolverine! Daken is still cool. He's Number 6.

[ August 03, 2011, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PB, I'm with you on Journey into Mystery--I'm loving it! Loki's schemes are great, and it's loaded with characters I like reading about (Tyr--yes!).

The best Thor writer in recent years was Kieron Gillen and he proves it again here. Loki is incredibly cunning yet his youthful boy status quo gives him an underdog / naive type quality your root for.

Well-written comic!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
July/August Top 5:

Xombi
Batman Inc.
Secret Six
Adventure Comics
Secret Seven

Hmmm, looks like my list will be radically different come September.... because NONE of those titles will be published!

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

From 2008 in the "Roundtable" thread (when I didn't know of this thread's existence [Embarrassed] ):

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
My list:

*Green Lantern: My most traditional superhero pick on the list. What can I say? Geoff Johns is THE MAN, and GL is the title where he's clicking on all cylinders! I've always liked Hal Jordan, and Geoff literally brought him back from the dead. Awesome, awesome comic with no signs of letdown forthcoming.

*Scalped: Wow! Vertigo lives again for me! I'd been in a Vertigo recession since Y: The Last Man ended, but I read a column in Brubaker's Criminal about this title about Indian mob bosses, a kickass nunchuk-slingin', hard livin' main character with loads of secrets and enough eye-opening relevance about life on a Reservation--and I haven't looked back since! It's gritty, brilliant, full of shocks and very different from anything you'd normally expect from Vertigo! I'm hooked for the duration!

*Daredevil: I knew I had to pick an Ed Brubaker title for this list. Criminal would've made the cut, but it's currently on hiatus while Ed and Sean Philips fire up Incognito. In any case while Ed's Captain America is in a slight slump, DD is really beginning to fire on all cylinders! Ed spent much of his first two years trying to tie up the Bendis era, but he's really starting to rock out on the title! This title is evolving more and more and is starting to feel like a huge epic that harkens back to the salad days with Frank Miller.

*Walking Dead: The single title I'm most addicted to currently! The zombie apocalypse has arrived, and it's not over in two hours! With no end in sight, we follow an ever-evolving core of characters (because many, many die as we go along--even hugely popular ones!) as they struggle to survive not only zombies but each other! Not for the faint of heart but really, really satisfying horror because of the human element.

*The fifth was surprisingly hard to narrow down, but I'll go with The Immortal Iron Fist for the moment. This is a character who'd been the butt of jokes forever until Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction finally realized the character's potential when the started his new ongoing last year. I was always fond of Danny Rand, and those guys showed me why. I love the mysticism, the legacy and the overall coolness this title has. Best of all, it hasn't dropped off at all since Duane Swierczynski took over this year--one story arc under his belt, and I'm sold! How often does that happen when a lower tier character is revived and the hot creators leave? Not very often.

Other than GL, all of these have in common a more nontraditional gritty, realistic or stylized artistic take. I've become quite enamored of art that is less traditionally "pretty" in recent years, but they are all very well crafted and appropriate to their subject matter. (That said, I think Ivan Reis's more traditional Neal Adams-esque art style is absolutely gorgeous!)

August 2011:

Walking Dead: Still there and the only book I read as soon as it comes out! Totally addicted to it and all its twist and turns.

Scalped: Such a great, great saga with compelling characters that live, breathe and constantly surprise you.

American Vampire: It was tempting to put Snyder's run on Detective here instead, but this is where he lets loose with his own characters! Snyder is the next big writer in comics. He's not much of a secret anymore, but if you try AmVamp out, I'm sure you'll see his rep is deserved!

Morning Glories: Before Scott Snyder was Nick Spencer. MG is an addicting mystery full of unexpected twists and turns. It's the comics equivalent of Lost with its layered mysteries. Like Lost, it's the characters that keep you coming back for more!

Chew: Awesome, twisted and, yes, funny comic book set in a world where chicken has been outlawed. John Layman & Rob Guilloroy may be the best writer/artist team in comics right now, for my money!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'll give it some more thought but my list may actual totally mimic yours, Lardy! I'd only sub-in Fables (which remains fantastic) but it's too hard to figure out which one it'd replace!

Also, Green Hornet: Year One! Okay, maybe that's 7.

Thunder Agents? I better stop...

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Wow--all of mine are creator-owned this go-round! I suspect this will be true in future updates as well, given where my tastes are heading... [Yes]

Closest corporate-owned books to getting in were Detective Comics (written by AmVamp's Snyder) and Amazing Spider-man!

--------------------

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... I think I'm going to have a hard time thinking of 5 titles that I really like. let's see:
- Green Lantern: Always a big fan of Hal, Johns's stories aren't my favorite, but they are big and feel important to the mythos.
- Moon Knight: I'm listing this mostly because I'm a fan of the character. I'm not really taken by Bendis's interpretation and I find Maleev's art attractive, but the photoreferencing makes people look too stiff.
- Hmmm.... Ok, I give up already. Everything else I'm currently buying is just kinda ... eh

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.