Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The All Spider-Man thread! (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The All Spider-Man thread!
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Sacrificing his wife for his "mother figure" probably would Freudian psychiatrists happy, but storywise, it just does not work.

-

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Newsrama article about Kitson on Spidey

Well I had a feeling it was going to Spidey. Seems like after OMD Marvel is trying to get big names on Spidey. Congrats Barry.

With that said I can't go there. [Smile] Not a fan of BND, etc. To be fair I wasn't collecting Spidey before. I would read my buddy's trades every once in a while.

Anyways, congrats again Barry. The preview pic looks great.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'll be picking it up, so this is a treat for me. Can't wait to see your Spidey, Barry! The only other franchise that I'm as big a fan of as the Legion (probably more so to be honest) is Spider-Man!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Combined threads.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
No serious Spidey-fan should go without reading this. It's an in-depth analysis of the Clone Saga by someone who sincerely thinks it has some worth, but who is not blind to its faults. The icing on the cake is:

- The DVD-style commentary by Glenn Greenberg, a spectator throughout the proceedings.

- The interviews with other people who were involved.

My thanks to Reboot for bringing this to my attention by posting a link to this in another thread.

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/introduction-and-update.html

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, that's a great link. I have another great Clone Saga link I just have to find (it used to be in my favorites back when I had my laptop, but I haven't taken the time to refind all my Spidey websites).

I just read the latest ASM arc with Zeb Wells and Bachalo, and it was actually pretty good! Definitely something 'different', but all in all a fun Spidey story with limited amounts of angst, which was very welcome. Usually Bachalo's work can be beyond distracting and I've never even heard of Zeb Wells until like two months ago.

All in all, and this is for about 90% of the Brand New Day relaunch, its been pretty fun and pretty well done! The problem of course was getting there with the horror that was 'One More Day' but the thrice-weekly relaunch is probably the best Spidey has been in awhile (probably since JMS first set of stories, though the tone is so different that its hard to really compare).

Still, I have no intentions of converting anyone to remain Spidey-faithful if One More Day caused them to drop Spidey forever. That's Marvel's job. [Big Grin] I am enjoying everything so far with some minor complaints (and one major complaint--get Peter the HELL OUT OF AUNT MAY's HOUSE!!!!).

Also, all of this Jonah Jameson subplotting better lead to him being as omni-present as ever in Spidey's stories. He's more essential to Spider-Man than almost any supporting character to any series in comics history (akin to Alfred in Batman I'd argue).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I’ve yammered on and on over the years about great links to Spider-Man websites I know about, especially lately with the Mary Jane thing, and I’ve at last taken some time to provide one. “Spider-Man kicks Butt” is a website that is highly opinionated and often I don’t agree with the blogger, but sometimes I find him 100% brilliant and dead-on. He also has an intense knowledge of Spider-Man minutiae that rivals my own.

To restate my own opinions on MJ, the Marriage and Brand New Day (As I feel they were misread by some):
(1) I love Mary Jane – I can’t see how any really serious Spider-Man Fan could not. Gwen is my favorite, but I certainly don’t want her brought back—part of what I love about Peter/Gwen and MJ/Peter is the history of their development.

(2) I was not a fan of the Marriage to MJ initially (when I read it of course since it happened when I was like four), and didn’t think it was a good move for the series. But I still loved MJ

(3) I’m going to buy Spider-Man’s comics whether they kept the marriage or did something stupid

(4) I do think “undoing” something is usually a pretty stupid move in comics, even though I agree they backed the series into a corner in the last ten years prior

(5) I believe “One More Day” may be the single worst Spider-Man story ever written, including “Gathering of the Five”, “Maximum Carnage’ and a host of other crap. The one story that could be worse? “Sins Past”, which I’ll never forgive anyone for.

(6) I’m “kind of” enjoying the new series, and if I’m in a good mood can list what I like but if I’m in a bad mood, I can list why I think they have their heads up their asses on certain things. There are a few things that annoy me to no end, far more than the marriage situation (re: Peter as a loser).

[Edit] #7 - The major problem with Mary Jane after a period of time was making her a super-model and celebrity. *That's* where things went wrong in terms of a married Spider-Man.

Warning: these articles are incredibly thorough and long, which I why I personally enjoy them. It takes over a ½ hour to read each one if you really give it the time it deserves. They also appear very fair to me, and I think it’s the single best argument I’ve ever read why Mary Jane is the one for Peter and why the Marriage was so important to keep:

Why did it have to be you, Mary Jane? Part 1

Why did it have to be you, Mary Jane? Part 2

Why did it have to be you, Mary Jane? Conclusion

[ July 09, 2008, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Another funny take on the OMD fiasco...

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Somebody at another board asked, "If Norman Osborn doesn't know who Spider-man is, WHO killed Gwen Stacy?"

Now the SPIDEY fans know how the LEGION fans felt all these years.
(Thank YOU, Mike Carlin-- and Keith Giffen-- and Mark Waid... etc. etc.)

Maybe we can do this like TV GUIDE did it when Bobby Ewing turned up
in the shower. (ALIVE! ALIVE!) They asked several famous writers for
explanations. My favorite was from Stephen King, who said, "Bobby is
still dead. He was brought back as a zombie..." I laughed, because
DARK SHADOWS had actually used that exact plot once... (Maybe more
than once, heh)

As new SPIDER-MAN holds no interest for me whatsoever, I think I'll
just take a stab at it, for some perverse "fun".

Pete felt guilty about lying to Gwen all this time. He finally wanted
to get married, but felt he wanted to be honest with her. So, in his
guise as Spidey, he "kidnapped" her (the same way he'd "kidnapped"
Peter Parker twice already right in front of Gwen-- heh) and swung
around town with her, trying to to convince her "I DIDN'T KILL YOUR
FATHER, DAMMIT!" in between her screaming. He got tired of lugging her
all over, and finally took a breather... on top of the Brooklyn
Bridge. (NOT George Washington Bridge-- somebody PLEASE get Gerry
Conway a guide book to NYC!! Gil Kane had already drawn the art-- you
CAN'T mistake those two bridges for one another unless your memory is
as bad or worse than Stan Lee's.) He figured, up there, she can't get
away, and she'll HAVE to listen. "WHY should I believe you???" she
screamed. "Because..." He took off the mask. ("...I'm the guy who
loves you!" In a state of SHOCK-- she stepped backwards, lost her
footing, and FELL OF THE DAMN BRIDGE! Key up Kane-Romita art, exactly
as before, "SNAP!" Only this time, it was ENTIRELY his fault. Imagine
the GUILT!!! Oh, my-- HORRORS!!!!!

Hey, that can't be anything worse than marvel has actually published
over the last 35 years...

Henry

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Remember, "Norman will make the hard choices. Norman has no feelings. Norman will make the girl pregnant and then snap her neck in public. Norman won't mind. Norman will do what it takes."

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

You know, I was going to comment on this directly, but I think it's more damning without comment on my part:

quote:
Marc Guggenheim's (one of the BND core writers) response to fans who are still upset over "One More Day:"

"Part of the problem with the controversy behind One More Day is the understanding of what was retconned overstates the extent of what was done. Everything that happened in the last twenty plus years of comic book history happened! The only difference is that Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson weren't married. They still dated. They still lived together. They still love each other. They just weren't married. Judging from the letters and death threats we received, I think some people were confused. It all still happened. Here's my attitude, if anyone is upset about the marriage going away, then they must all be pro gay marriage. Because if you're pro gay marriage, you understand the distinction between a marriage and a civil union -- that a civil union is not equal to a marriage. We downgraded Mary Jane and Peter to a civil union. If that bothers you, then you're pro gay marriage."

--------------------

Pov

What an asshole. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Flowchart explaining the statement (no, I didn't make it, I just agree with that it's what he said):

-

(Guggenheim also writes Young X-Men)

--------------------

Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Peter and Mary Jane were never married, but lived together in sin?! What kind of filth is Marvel trying to peddle to kids these days!

Oh, why can't the regular Spider-Man continuity have the same old-fashioned, wholesome morals shown in Spider-Man Loves* Mary Jane?

*"Loves" in a strictly platonic, let's-have-an-ice-cream-soda-at-the-malt-shoppe way.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

[JD]"LAAame..."[/JD] [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.