Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The All Spider-Man thread! (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The All Spider-Man thread!
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
What I don't get isn't Ultimate Spidey suppossed to be more baggage free?

Isn't the normal MU heavy on continuity and the Ultimatevrese an alternative for that?

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, 'Boot...I wasn't defending or supporting the deal with the devil...just agreeing with Quesada's stated reasoning behind not wanting Pete and MJ to divorce.

My parents didn't divorce, but I know that many young children whose parents divorce are emotionally wrecked by it. Sometimes they see one or both parents as "bad guys" for breaking apart their family. That could be how they would have seen it had Pete and MJ divorced. I believe strongly that no superhero is currently in (or anywhere near) Spidey's league in popularity among children thanks to the movies. I use my own sons and their friends as evidence. So divorce could really shatter their perception of him in a way it wouldn't other less popular characters.

Is a deal with the devil a better solution in that prism. No, not really. But I've yet to see any mainstream press coverage on OMD at all, let alone anything approaching what we saw with Captain America dying and other such coverage. If there had been a divorce, I think it's more likely it would have gotten a lot of exposure and possibly reached kids.

Of course...if the Christian right-wingers, like those who who demonize Harry Potter, get a hold of this and run with it--it could be a whole 'nother ball of wax!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, if anything, they got a mystical abortion as part of the deal. They don't have any live kids to emotionally wreck.

And remember that (1) Death of Cap hit on a Slow News Day and (2) Marvel sent out press releases and had a deal with a couple of papers to do pieces on it. Neither happened here, for obvious reasons.

And I'm half-hoping that something like Fox News gets a hold of it...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
What I don't get isn't Ultimate Spidey suppossed to be more baggage free?

Isn't the normal MU heavy on continuity and the Ultimatevrese an alternative for that?

Apparently not good enough for Joey Q... [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
 -

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

[ROTFLMAO]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Two Shortpacked! strips on this. The sad/amusing one is here: http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20080107.html

The hilarious-in-pointing-out-the stupidity one though (With side reference to something equally stupid elsewhere):

-

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Where was Mephisto when I was in college? My rap-sheet would be a lot less interesting.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Aside from the deal with the devil, you have MJ sacrificing her happiness for the happiness of those she loves. Isn't that supposed to be a moral good?

From that perspective though - doesn't that make Peter look even worse? Saying "yes" to a deal with the devil to make his life better and her life worse?
Who actually makes the deal? I thought it was MJ.

Still the deal is so that Aunt May (whom both MJ and Peter love) is brought back to life. So you could say Peter is sacrificing his happiness with MJ for Aunt May.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

From today's beaucoupkevin blog entry--

quote:
A pal of mine shoots me this link containing the new status quo for the Spider-Man books.

My take? They've reset things to the point where they're now telling stories about a single 30something nerd that lives with his mother figure, has dated two girls, and is perpetually broke.

This is Marvel's attempt to "relate" to their average fan, isn't it?

[ROTFLMAO]

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Joe Q just signed his pink slip.

I think this is a horrible idea. In comics I've never seen a retcon of this magnitude actually fix something. It just makes it worse.

And again...there is Ultimate Spidey.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Just a few things:

http://spideykicksbutt.com/DeepThoughts/OneMoreDay.html
http://forum.newsarama.com/showpost.php?p=4968879&postcount=529
http://forum.newsarama.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=1139 (p=4949670&postcount=523 p=4968007&postcount=357)

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
And again...there is Ultimate Spidey.

Until Teh Lobe blows up the Ultiverse.

[ January 08, 2008, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ugh. You just reminded me Loeb is in the Ultiverse. I pray he’ll stay away from Ultimate Spidey (or realistically, Bendis’ status at Marvel will let keep Ultimate Spidey sacrosanct). Ultimate Spidey is just about the last aspect of the Ultiverse I’m bothering to pick up anymore…
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I really feel with those die-hard Spidie fans who right now must feel robbed like we Legion fans did back in 94 when Zero Hour flushed Legion Lore down the toilet.

I for my part was a regular ASM reader since JMS came on board, and I liked most of his run. One More Day was a terrible exception to that - and I consider the final solution to be absolute nonsense.

To begin with, I never could follow the way of thinking that Peters and MJs marriage was a problem. That's simply rubbish. I thought that it was a nice twist to see Peter to gain that much power out of MJs love.

So there was no dilemma to begin with. Still, they had to retcon it. Perfect junk. The story did not work as well. An adult man with a wonderful marriage would never sacrifice all that for a dying aunt - at least he should not unless he is in some major psychological trauma...

Sacrificing his wife for his "mother figure" probably would Freudian psychiatrists happy, but storywise, it just does not work.

Now I don't know when in Marvel time this Harry Osborn revival is supposed to have happened, and how this hole gibberish is supposed to fit into New Avengers continuity, but I am happy that one decision has been made for me by such a weak storytelling and editing:

No way am I going to keep on reading Spiderman after the One More Day dedacle.

I quit. Which leaves me with just two Marvel books on my monthly pick (X-Factor and New Avengers).

Glad to have some free money now to spend on some more intelligent stuff...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Funny
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.