Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Justice League (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  39  40  41   
Author Topic: Justice League
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I finally got around to reading the second part of the BN tie-in since my enthusiasm for it was so low after part one. I think the second part was a big improvement over the first but the issues still weren't anything that great. I can't really recommend anyone buy them in good conscience.

On the one hand, there were some really great Vixen and Gypsy scenes with the undead Vibe and Steel, and those really worked for me. Both Vixen and Gypsy had some great sequences were they used their powers and intelligence.

On the other hand, the Dr. Light vs. Dr. Light stuff was yet another lame attempt to incorporate Dr. Light into the DCU mega-events because as a rapist he's so terrifying. And like most others, it was pretty boring and ineffective. I really like the heroic Dr. Light but I can't really say I enjoyed the sequence (not because of any potential rape sequences, since he was a corpse, but because Dr. Light the villain just plain sucks these days). I do like the mention of her children though and hope Robinson keeps some degree of focus on them in her future stories since its a little mentioned fact in her appearances.

The prior issue's Zatarra / Zatanna stuff IMO was played out and has already been done to death in the past. I feel like I've read that sequence before with her in like three places.

All around, I thought this tie-in wasn't terrible but mediocre at best. Still, a step up for Robinson so far from his other JLA stories.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read JLA 40 (referenced in Cobie's above post) and was underwhelmed. Really, it seemed BLs Vibe and Steel were mostly just really annoying. Yeah, both Gypsy and Vixen do have issues and those do go all the way back to their beginnings--but it seemed the BLs were really more about pissing off and demeaning them more than anything. Playing off their guilt over what happened to their teammates would've seemed more natural.Vibe's speech patterns were just annoying (though unfortunately accurate).

And then, there's rapist Doctor Light. *groan* Did Robinson really have to play that up so much? It's really just sickening, and I really regret that my son got ahold of that and read it before I did. He's really gotten in to Blackest Night and reads all the tie-ins I buy. Hopefully, he had no clue what that dialogue was all about.

I hope next issue starts to show the potential of what Robinson's planning, or I won't be buying this much longer. There's apparently a master plan here. We need to be shown something when the new lineup debuts next month--really fast!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Gotta say, I've followed every incarnation of the league since the satelite era in the mid 70's. After the last three or four years, I'm having a lot more fun collecting issues from before I ever started reading. Just got the one where the original Nekron showed up and fought the league. Wonder Woman returned, only to "die" as the cover said with Hawkman holding a "dead" diana.

Couple of weeks ago, I got the issue where an alien race kidnaps superman to save them from Despero, and convinces superman that some actors they are using is the justice league. This was back when supergirl wore hotpants and was...well...hot.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So, Donna's gone and rounded up her ole Titans gang to form the new JLA. There were so many things I could comment on this issue, but all that stays with me is the image of Donna's boobs practically busting out of her costume! (bad pun intended)

I don't understand Diana's need to push Donna into the league when she herself is staying out of it.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I can understand Diana thinking that it'd be good for Donna at this time in her life and deciding to step back so that Donna get out from her shadow. I know it mainly fits in line with the advancement of the "mini-Trinity" (with Dick and Mon) more than anything else though.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Robinson at last begins assembling the team that will make up his League and its an improvement over the last few issues. But really, it still isn't up to snuff.

Of course, whether its unfair or not, I can't get the awful Cry for Justice series out of my head, which still hasn't ended (and the spoilers on how it ends make it look like it'll be even worse than we imagined). Robinson has to actually be better than everyone else to make up for that; so far he hasn't even been "good".

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
so....who's gonna be in the titans?

personally i always liked the idea of the titans graduating and taking over, maybe one at a time like roy, is more realistic, but i wouldn't think it wouldn't happen for a while...or in soem drastic incident where all the originals were outta commission (rather than just not feeling like it)

(why dont they just change the title of jla to titans!!)

what is the problem with supes, batman, wonder etc....being the justice league?

i mean wolverine is in like 6 or 7 books in the marvel u.

and btw i've always thought kimiyo could hand dr.light his butt. without the whole i love my children bit.

i just hope we dont get many more book full of characters whining that they dont want to be in the league.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raging Bull
Maverick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raging Bull           Edit/Delete Post     
Is the JLA still crying for justice?

--------------------
♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦

From: The open range | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

No actually, they've started crying "LEAGUE!!" instead. (I think in the third part of Robinson's trilogy, they'll be crying for america...)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
League together, that would be... more fitting... all those Titans in the JLA - kind of logical step, if the old heroes would have gone away... but they haven't...

Anyway Starfire won't stay for long, cause she has already Click Here For A Spoilerbeen announced as the next REBELS addition... probably to boost sales there.

But as long as all those Titans are running around in JLA I will give this book a chance (already quit it twice since #1... third time a charm...)

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
About CRY FOR JUSTICE-- I can understand folks' problems with the story, but I haven't seen much mention of the text pages at each issue's end. I've quite enjoyed them, in fact, they've elevated my enjoyment of the book much more than the story itself would've warranted.

I like the characters assembled here, I like the art when it's not being so over-the-top gory, don't care tuppence about Prometheus (what an insult to the Titan who first bore that name, mythological firebringer to man, legendary sufferer). Sad about Roy, don't recognize Donna, glad to see Mikaal (and Shade) back in a book, curious about Congorilla...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
OK- I really liked #42. I loved the way it encompassed the DCU's breadth, even into its past. Challengers of the Unknown, Metal Men, Josiah Power, Uncle Sam and a couple of Freedom Fighters, Blackhawk... cameos that were as fun as they were unexpected.

I even liked the new group of New God knockoffs, for what they were. If the real thing are off-limits for awhile, why not some 'evil' copies? Don't know if I want to see them persist as is, but as entry level villains? I'm somewhat intrigued, at least.

The Shade! Still a great character to read... I don't know what to make of the Green Arrow/Shade subplot. I'm certainly curious about it.

Now for the line-up... I like each of these characters... I even like them together. But are the Justice League? Not yet- but they could read that way, I suppose.

Surprisingly, the character that I currently would want to stick around whenever Kal-el, Diana and Bruce return (and we all know they will) is Cyborg. I liked his scene with Red Tornado and think they'd make a pretty nifty sub-team within the League.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked #42 as well. Great to see Josiah Power & all the other cameos.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Considering Robinson's track record with "Cry For Justice" it's a minor miracle Power Company didn't end up in body bags, dismembered, turned into mulch or furniture or something equally horrific.
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Whine For Justice finally finishes and with it so does the life of one of DC's best supporting characters.

I have no words for how much I want James Robinson and Dan Didio gone from DC Comics. They are everything that's wrong with the company today.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.