Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Fantastic Four & FF (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Fantastic Four & FF
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
I totally predicted it, pity I didn't have any money riding on it.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
They hadn't really had a "death" before, had they?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Heck, in a year it will turn out that was a missing Skrull!

Click Here For A Spoiler Which would lead to the realization that a Skrull impersonating Johnny unknowingly married a Skrull impersonating Alicia Masters!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
They hadn't really had a "death" before, had they?

Not one that lasted. A couple of years ago, either Ben or Reed "died" and I seem to recall the FF going to Heaven to bring him back or something like that.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Reed "died" when Defalco was writing it (I think it was Defalco). Lasted for a little while. Yeah, Ben died and they went to heaven and got him back from Kirby.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
So, it was Johnny's last wish that Spider-Man should take his place on the team? Seriously? Spider-Man? As little sense as this makes to me, I'm just grateful that it wasn't Wolverine.

I'm going to give this a try, but I can honestly see myself dropping FF after a few issues.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I've really enjoyed the THREE storyline & I actually went out & bought the 1st issue of FF.
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Thought it was a solid opening issue to new arc (er, series)! What I'm looking forward to the most is how Franklin and Val will play into the series since Hickman has done the impossible and made the FF kids genuine assets to the franchise by being both interesting and likable.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, he does well with them. I really like the characters he's surrounded Franklin and Val with, too. I only wish there were an Inhuman or two in the mix.

Speaking of which, I'm really looking forward the Four Cities continuation. Didn't I see a solicit that had Click Here For A Spoiler Black Bolt back from the 'dead' on it? Can't wait for that.

Maybe around then we'll get to see Crystal's reaction to Johnny's death. That's the one beat that's gone unexplored.

Spider-man joining makes more sense than him continuing with the Avengers, though I enjoy him there. The most recent addition Click Here For A Spoiler Dr. Doom has me scratching my head. Click Here For A Spoiler What is about von Doom that has young blondes like Val and Layla Miller trusting him, seemingly against all reason?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
#2-3 of this title prove that Hickman and Epting are nothing short of excellent. I'm loving just about every facet of this comic.

I really enjoyed the idea of a "Symposium on how to finally destroy Reed Richards" (or something like that) with the High Evolutionary, the Thinker, El Diablo and the Wizard invited by Dr. Doom to the FF's HQ. A totally quirky, cool idea!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
With #4 I'm again blown away by the sheer amount of plot density here, which I just love. Compiled on that is Hickman's ability to really make each character stand out with real characterization.

Not only has Hickman done the impossible (as I stated above) and make Franklin & Val an enjoyable part of the FF series, but Val is actually emerging as the best character in the book! Hickman also has the rare talent to write both Reed and Sue incredibly well. IMO, he's become the quintessential author of Reed Richards.

Still loving the 'Symposium' of villains on how to destroy Reed (which includes Reed, Val and Nathanial Richards). The idea was presented in #3 but in #4 we get to actually see the meeting and its just awesome. The best lines are by Diablo of all people.

I love the complexity and the scope of the whole thing. It's how the Fantastic Four should be--grandiose on a level that borders on the overwhelming (to the characters and readers).

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So it looks like the Torch is returning *already* in November, probably in a renumbered Fantastic Four #600. REALLY, Marvel?

Look, I know Johnny's death was off-panel and unconfirmed, but if they're going to use the event to rename, repurpose and relaunch the book, then shouldn't the effects last somewhat longer than ten friggin' months?

I dunno. That just may be my jumping OFF point at least for buying the FF monthly. I've a feeling Hickman's stuff reads better in trade form anyway.....

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

My prediction: a new Fantastic Four starring in a series continuing the numbering of the old series (re: get a #600 issue), while the FF continues as is. This way Marvel gets the best of both worlds. They used the same trick with Hulk two or three years ago.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^I was right, natch (or close enough as content of each is still unclear). I work in corporate America after all--I know how these execs want their cake and want to eat it too...and your cake as well.
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I was really disappointed in the issues depicting Black Bolt's return. The art was horrible, IMO. And I'm really ticked about the short shrift Crystal is getting, once again. Her reaction to Johnny's death is one I've been waiting to read since the death happened. I guess the fact that we *didn't* see her reacting is a point in his resurrection's favor, in a weird way. It's sort of like if I don't see Crys crying over Johnny, then it didn't *really* happen.

Would she have taken Ronan's hand if she'd known what her friends in the FF were going through?

I don't think so. I do like the way that gesture was presented, though. As a reader, am I meant to now believe their marriage has become a 'true' one? Or is she still the political pawn, making the appropriate gestures to serve her ever-demanding royal family? I like the ambiguity.

I also liked how Lockjaw found Black Bolt. But then, I always like the big doggie.

The multiple wives for Blackagon Botlagar creep me out a bit. But I'm meant to be, I think. Once again, the 'In', as in not a part of the succeeding word, in 'Inhuman' becomes vividly apparent. Hopefully, the 'human' that *is* and has always been there will follow shortly thereafter.

I'm wishing that the Inhuman royal family and the Richards (and extended clan) will be fast friends when this war between cities concludes. An Inhuman child or two should move into the Future Foundation... A Royal family member should join some Earth team or other, depending on where Attilan next roosts.

I do appreciate that Hickman is making The Inhumans such a big part of the burgeoning FF story. Clearly, he appreciates their history. Keeping the entire regular cast out of two successive issues was a big risk. That I appreciate, as well. Unfortunatley, I don't think it was a risk that paid off.

I wonder if Black Panther will be showing up soon?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.