Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Fantastic Four & FF (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Fantastic Four & FF
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm...maybe X-Men fans need not worry after all, BUT...

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally bought, and read, the first TP of FF(collecting issues 1 thru 6).
I'm hooked!
I just love the kids & the way they're written.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also love the way he writes them. They're all great in their own way, with Val as an immediate fave and Franklin being the one you can't help but route for. My other favorite is Bentley who is so enjoyably intent on the path to villainy (though subtly being heroic).
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved Val's thought about Bentley in FF #16. The rebuilt Baxter Building and Foundation made for a good spine around which to build this aftermath sort-of issue. Val's thoughts about the impermanence of Marvel HQs were funny.

As is the thought of Johnny Storm inviting himself to be Spider-man's roommate! Is that going to happen? Even in Spidey books? Am I going to have to start reading those? 'Cause I love Torch and Spidey scenes. They are a believable match as friends and their sparring is something I enjoy reading. They also help each other out- as Spidey does for Johnny during a family sit-down with a Doom loving Valeria.

Speaking of which- is that girl crazy? She gave Doom-- read it yourself. You'll be shaking your head, too.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Recent ASM had a great Spidey / Torch 2-parter! The banter / camaraderie were worth it alone!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Speaking of which- is that girl crazy? She gave Doom-- read it yourself. You'll be shaking your head, too.

If you're referring to the glove he picked up, they only work in their home universes, remember.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Maybe it's because I'm a new Dad, but I found the Reed / Franklin sequences (and the parallel to the earlier Reed / Nathaniel Richards) to be really moving. Hickman tapped into something there...it wasn't tears streaming down my face, but I was on the verge of being choked up throughout the end of his big saga. Hickman writes the best Reed IMO.

And the Franklin / Leech scene in FF was great too.

Haven't read the latest ish with Val referenced above but I can't help but always feel she knows more than everyone else.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The latest issue of FF was absolutely terrific! It was hilarious and full of charm--a fantastic buddy story featuring Marvel's best pals, Spidey & Johnny.

The art by Nick Dragota really put it over the top. A reall great, classic style that also has great facial expressions and comedic trappings. He's officially on my radar.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Poor Crystal and Ronan. I wish she'd take on Black Bolt. She's just about the only Inhuman who might have a chance beating him.

He and Medusa are *this close* to being villains, in my view. No wonder Black Panther's been enshrined as Reed's best 'non-FF' friend. At one time, Black Bolt might've gotten the nod.

Given how things ended in FF's August issue, wouldn't Crystal joining the new FF team have made more sense?

Hickman's apparently not using her in his mammoth AVENGERS cast (or is dissembling about it), which surprises me. There's obviously much more story for the exquisite elemental, if only someone would actually write it. And her. She gets the cover, and the story's *about* her, but she actually appears in it very little.

Despite that, I thought it was an effective issue with some somewhat surprising positions taken by Reed and Sue. The two of them individually counseling Ronan and Crystal was quite ironic. After all, Reed's fought Ronan several times. And Sue Crystal, at least once, memorably. Less memorable- did they ever really 'make up'? Hmmm.

I'm still burned (ha!) that Johnny and Crystal still haven't even spoken since his death(s) and her marriage.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Given how things ended in FF's August issue, wouldn't Crystal joining the new FF team have made more sense?

Can you please spoil it for me? Thanks in advance.

quote:
Hickman's apparently not using her in his mammoth AVENGERS cast (or is dissembling about it), which surprises me. There's obviously much more story for the exquisite elemental, if only someone would actually write it. And her. She gets the cover, and the story's *about* her, but she actually appears in it very little.

As a Crystal fan of twenty years standing, all I can do is sulk.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Click Here For A Spoiler To accomdate the Supreme Head Thingie's wishes in bringing about a truce between the Kree and the Inhumans, Black Bolt decreed that Ronan go back to Hala with the Kree and Crystal return to Earth with the Inhumans, their marriage dissolved.

I went ahead in put this in spoiler space, though I'm not sure it was really necessary.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So an interesting and awesome thing has happened in the final year of Hickman's run: after his major, epic arc, he's done a years worth of one off issues and two-parters that have been nothing short of FANTASTIC. Each month, Fantastic Four and FF both have delivered terrific stories that are full of character and heart, showing that in addition to his epic storytelling style he also has a masterful understanding of character.

I think it's also a case of a really good writer becoming better over time and now just being flat out great. His creator-owned work has always been spectacular but even there I've noticed him reaching new heights. It's pretty awesome to watch him grow.

These final issues have spotlighted the various FF kids, the Wizard, the Black Panther, Johnny & Pete, the Thing & Reed, etc. The underlying theme is of course family & friendship, and choosing your own destiny (re: choosing your own family).

I've loved this run. And this last year is probably my favorite part of it.

Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
So the last issue of F4 came out a week or so ago. Loved it--really tied up a big running thread with Dr. Doom, with one of his best moments in a while.

Click Here For A Spoiler"I was a God in their world. ... I found it...beneath me."

Also, the preview for the first issue of the MN Fantastic Four is out. Some good stuff--you can never go wrong with the team fighting dinosaurs. [Big Grin]

Also, a short story for FF focusing on Scott Lang was featured in the Marvel Now Point One issue. Pretty fun story, gives a good idea of what his feelings and motivations will be in this story. And the best part?

Click Here For A SpoilerSpray-painting a mustache on a mural of Doctor Doom in his own castle as the first step in his path of revenge.

Gotta start somewhere, right? [Big Grin]

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Much like I did with Thor / JiM, before the Marvel NOW phase started for Fantastic Four (which does look exciting, especially FF), I wanted to first and foremost read the final issues of one of the greatest eras in the history of the franchise, which of course if the Jonathan Hickman era. I know it certainly has some critics here on this board, but I’ll be very clear just how highly I think of it: I think in the history of this comic series there are three important eras: the Kirby / Lee era (which is the truest and ‘real’ Fantastic Four series), the John Byrne era, and now the Jonathan Hickman era. I think Hickman basically saved and reinvented this franchise when dozens of creators had tried and failed before him, and he made it relevant again.

He also did the impossible: he reinstalled the ever-elusive “Spirit of the Series” while making it modern, fresh and original.

How he did this is a conversation to have many times over in the future, but I stand by those words. I loved this run. And I’m going to miss it terribly. Hickman has become a personal favorite writer of mine—certainly in my top five—and I’ll buy anything he does henceforth. And all of the incredible artists he worked with on this run have been terrific too, especially Eaglesham & Epting, and also newcomer Nick Dragotta, whose work on FF has been eye-opening. I’ll be following him closely.

This final year’s worth of issues have in my opinion been the absolute best of the best in the series. Mostly single issue stories, they are chalk full of the magnificent and grandiose ideas that Kirby made the standard of the Fantastic Four, but also chalk full of major character moments again and again. Never, and I mean ever really, have the Four plus Franklin & Val, plus the kids & Nathaniel, plus Doom & a host of others, felt more “real” to me. Hickman made them fully realized in their complexities and I loved it.

Both Val and Franklin have become real favorites of mine for the first time ever.

Since this series is at its heart all about creation, newness and exploration, I fully expect and hope Fraction to carve his own path with his two amazing collaborators (and who can’t get excited about Bagley & Allred?). But I do hope he continues a few major themes: the ever-growing family in that it’s not about bringing it down to the 4 or less which helped kill this series for decades but about growing; the ever-present sense of adventure & exploration where there is no ceiling to the ideas being explored; and I also hope he continues to use the Future Foundation kids. That last one would really mean a lot to me—not just Franklin & Val, but Bentley, the Moloids and the rest. Even if only as supporting characters, they are too good to pass up.

I loved this run. [Cheers]

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
What do peeps think about the first couple of issues of the NOW FF titles?

I think the second issues for both kind of dipped in quality a little after a decent start, but am still gonna hang in and see how things turn out.

There are a lot of little things I am not 100% ecstatic about (Medusa expecting to be pampered, Darla even being there, BEN YELLING IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME, etc)...but there are a lot of things I really like that I hadn't expected to at all (Artie and Leech not being relegated to the background, the other Foundation kids, Darla whom I quite like as a character even if I do find her presence pointless)...and I do love Shulkie and Medusa as well as the artists on both titles, so I'm happy to hang in here for a while and see what happens once all the introductory stuff is out of the way. [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.