Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Drake,

I checked out the first episode of Fringe. It was good. Didn't love it but I will stick around for a few more episodes. Does the actress look just like Kate Blanchett or what? My wife is a fan of the Dawson Creek kid so it looks like we will be around for a bit. (He did good in Bobby).

I will also try to catch My Own Worst Enemy. I saw Slater in person once in 2001. Nice guy.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
P.S. I haven't posted here in a long while. I've read it the thread recently and got lots of comments on what you guys wrote but I need time! I also have watched lots of films since my last post I have to post about.

Latest film I saw was Ratatouille yesterday. Loved it. I never got over being grossed out about the rats making the food though. Really well written. Brad Bird rocks! (writer/director did Incredibles as well) I was amazed by the animation!!! All these new comic films should be animated IMO. Not the cheap animation either.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Just watched "The Grifters" tonight, for the first time since seeing it in the theatre close to 20 years ago. It has aged, but that final scene still disturbed me with just how vicious it was.

I find it odd how numb I am to most movie violence, but every once in a great while I'm still capable of being shocked. Even knowing it was coming, this is still one of those scenes.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
We rented 3 DVDs this past weekend.

"The Fall" - Though I liked the highly stylized look of this movie, the story of a suicidal stunt man manipulating a young girl through his storytelling was a little depressing.

Ram Boy's Review: "meh, you decide."

"I Heart Huckabees" - Amazingly enough, I understood everything about this existential comedy so either I'm getting smarter or they did a kick-ass job with the screenplay.

Ram Boy's Review: "See it and you'll feel smartr afterwards!"

"The Other Boleyn Girl" - We were really over DVDs by this point so we didn't actually watch this historical drama.

Ram Boy's Review: I'm pretty sure it would have been an OK movie! But then again, it might have sucked!

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I recently saw The Other Boleyn Girl. It did a good job with the history of the subject. Showed all of those ugly politics that probably was the cause of all their ills. It got a bit bleak (as expected).
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
22 pages!
Took my breath away when I saw that.

I'm trying to stick with Fringe but the gal is kind of generic and big conspiracies are getting kind of old (that's all X-Files seemed to be about after awhile).
I'm giving Primeval a 'chance', too.
I like the characters and love the special effects but hate the long lost wife and the possible conspiracy that might be surfacing.

I'm looking forward to Sanctuary, though! I love Amanda Tapping and the idea of a Sci-Fi/Fantasy mix!

[Smile]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Catching up with some old comments.

Still haven't seen Juno but it's on my list. [Smile]

I know Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skulls didn't get great reviews but I'm going to buy it.

Also going to buy Iron Man when it comes which I enjoyed just as much as the Dark Knight if not more.

Have to borrow Dexter from a friend. Never seen one.

EDE, I gotta watch The Happening still. I always said M. Night reminds me of a modern Hitchcock. I have to buy that Hitchcock collection as well.

Lard Lad, really glad you checked out The Prestige. I keep telling people to watch it at work and no one has. That film is amazing.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Films I've watched since my last posts...

Michael Clayton. Liked it.

No Reservations. As a huge Catherine Zeta-Jones fan and that NYC atmosphere I liked it. (Going to NYC in a month...it's been too long!)

Rush Hour 3 was horrible.

Sideways lived up to the hype. Really enjoyed it. Didn't know the main characters were such losers. Made the film more fun since I was suprised.

The Assassination of Jesse James. Ick. Probably a good book. It seemed to stick to the history pretty good. Didn't try to be glamorous. Brad Pitt did an OK job...not great. Didn't care for it. Way to long.

Goya's Ghost? About the artist Goya facing the strict catholic church and then the liberal yet oppressing French(Napolean). It was suprising. Had its moments. Natalie Portman did an amazing job acting. She was better here than in The Other Boleyn Girl. Javier Bardeem did very well also. Strange film though. The ending was pretty wacky.

Balls of Fury made me laugh. Watch it drunk though. Resident Evil: Extinction eh. Milla just does it for me so I watched it. It was fun/exciting.

Quills. Disturbing for the wrong reasons. I was expecting disturbing but I guess it still suprised me. Unless you are a real fan of the Marquis I suggest to skip it.

Knocked Up was pretty funny.

In Bruges with Colin Farrel, Ralph Fiennes, and Brendan Gleeson(love that guy) was really good. Two hitman from England just come off a kill and are sent to Bruges (Belgium) to hide out. Colin being the young hitman gets bored in this quiet but beautiful town. Gets into trouble. Highly recommend it!

Vantage Point. Pretty good. I expected better to tell the truth because it had so many good actors. Yet the nature of the film (fast, fast, fast) didn't give time for much great dialogue. I enjoyed it.

No Country for Old Men. Javier Bardeem freaked me out! Really good film though didn't care for the ending. Again based on a book I had to rewatch the two last scenes with Tommy Lee Jones a few times to "get it". Not sure if I did. [Smile]

Jumper. Loved it. Just for the exciting escapism it provided and action!

Ladron Que Roba a Ladron. Spanish film based in Los Angeles. It's Ocean's 11 en el barrio. I really enjoyed it. My wife used the subtitles and she did as well so not much was lost in translation.

The Magus with Michael Cane. I'm a sucker for the european films that take place on a Mediterranean island BUT this film wasn't great. Had a young hot Candice Bergen(Murphy Brown). Cane had way too much make up. Still enjoyed some parts of it. Woody Allen I think said this was the worst film ever made. It wasn't that bad but it was bad. [Smile]

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Loved it! Alberty Finney I believe is one of the best actors ever! His Hercule Peroit was amazing! I'm a sucker for detective fiction stuff though.

Just the Ticket was an Andy Garcia/Andie MacDowell was a film I enjoyed 10 years ago on HBO. While my wife really enjoyed it I didn't care for it the 2nd time around. I'm a fan of both actors though so I wanted to check it out again.

Blah! Sorry guys I started this thread and haven't posted in months. Life has been really busy but as you see I've still been watching movies. Will post about what shows I'm watching later. [Wink]

Anybody seen or have ideas about these films I just posted?

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Drake,

I checked out the first episode of Fringe. It was good. Didn't love it but I will stick around for a few more episodes. Does the actress look just like Kate Blanchett or what? My wife is a fan of the Dawson Creek kid so it looks like we will be around for a bit. (He did good in Bobby).

I was on the fence about this after the first episode, but I'm actually starting to dig it. There are a couple of that I find really distracting, though, like Anna Torv's accent which comes and goes. I'm not sure I like the Will Eisner-esque integration of the location info into the backgrounds. I mean, I like the concept, but I'm not sure it works in live action stuff.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Loved it! Alberty Finney I believe is one of the best actors ever! His Hercule Peroit was amazing! I'm a sucker for detective fiction stuff though.

For some reason I remember not really caring for this adaptation. Big fan of the book, though.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I haven't read any Agatha Christie but my wife told I would love her work.

I like the location info planted into the scene personally.

Eryk Davis Ester

Agatha Christie rocks beyond all belief.
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Tuesday's Fringe pretty well, too.
I guess I'm in for the long run.

Mystery Theater has a lot of Christie's work, both Peroit and Marple.
Love them, but my favorite 'Orient Express' is Houstonof's. I just have a soft spot for him. (Yes, I know I probably spelled his name wrong!)

I'll buy the last Indiana movie as well, even though it was a bit of a letdown.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Shady, Ustinov is the one I think you are talking about. The Poirot with white hair? I actually own the dvd for Murder Under the Sun with him in it. Pretty good.

I just imagine David Suchet though when I think of Poirot.

Eryk Davis Ester

Agreed about David Suchet.

Re: Fringe, I'm also kind of bugged by some of the goofy psuedo-science. It wouldn't bother me if it weren't such a central element of the show, but since it is, I'd prefer if it were a little more realistic.

This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.