Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 38)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
My husband, Chuck, is watching the latest Steven Seagal movie now.
I HATE the later Segal movies (however you spell his name.)
[Disgusting]

It's bad, because I won't watch it with him.
It's good, because he'll have to stop crowing that his movie picks are better than mine, which he's done since he chose Gran Torino and I picked Benjamin Button.
[Frown]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Watched two movies with the wife.

The Happening by M. Night with Marky Mark. (i still can't remember his real name). I liked it. It wasn't great but it kept us entertained. I think I read he wanted to do a B movie justice and he did exacly that. It felt like the Birds mixed with a zombie flick.

Donnie Wahlberg (just remembered) did pretty good. I like when movie stars don't act like THE MAN and all of that. I've said on this thread before that actors impress me when they act like a surburban dad, or a school teacher instead of a hitman, etc.

Fools Gold. Never really enjoyed Matthew McNaughey (though ofcourse my wife does). He's a bit too animated for me. BUT I kind of liked this film. I know he played Dirk Pitt in Sahara and now I kind of want to watch it. You know a friend of mine always debate who should be the next Indiana Jones. Matthew made an argument. With the right direction (Spielberg!) who knows? Ofcourse Nathan Fillon is our top choice.

It's a fun action/adventure story in the Carribean. The star of the movie is the YACHT!!! Holy moley! Kate Hudson does nothing for me. I mean she does more than Dunst or Maggie Gyllenhall (a whole of a lot more actually) but not much. [Wink] I think she reminds me a friend's mom.

I recommend the Happening. If you are in the mood for summer escapism then I also recommend Fools Gold. If anything it will inspire you to work out more. (just finished. d'oh!)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
TV wise, the new series 'Mental' is interesting.

The headguy is sort of a nice House (with the accent that they should have allowed Hugh Lorry to keep.)

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Mark Wahlberg (just remembered) did pretty good. I like when movie stars don't act like THE MAN and all of that. I've said on this thread before that actors impress me when they act like a surburban dad, or a school teacher instead of a hitman, etc.

Best Mark Wahlberg film, IMO, is The Corrupter, with Chow Yun-Fat. Awesome, but not a happy funtime movie.

For Wahlberg fun, The Big Hit dishes it up. [Smile]

The Italian Job is also pretty neat, although the death-spiral void of emotional prescence that is Ed Norton drags it down. (Even with Norton doing his best job of sucking the life out of every scene he appears in, it's a better film than the Ocean's Eleventy-Billion franchise, IMO. Note that I'm biased by finding Charlize Theron about a googleplex better to watch than Julia 'watch me smile so grotesquely that you can see my face peel back and show off my skull' Roberts.)

If you ever get roped into seeing Wahlberg in Shooter, just rupture your ear-drums with a pencil or fake a heart attack or something. It's really that bad. Preachy, moralizing, condescending, screamingly offensively political, etc, etc.

It's like pain. Pain that hurts.

quote:
I know he played Dirk Pitt in Sahara and now I kind of want to watch it.
Very, very fun movie. Matt McWhoosywhatsis usually seems to be a little too 'intentionally charming' (and coming close to veering past charming into 'schmuck') for my taste, like he's hamming it up for the ladies (see also, Grant, Hugh), but Dirk Pitt *is* an over-the-top goofy James Bond pastiche, so it totally works in that movie.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot The Corruptor! Love that movie!

I've seen parts of Italian Job and really liked what I saw.

I will check out Big Hit. And thanks for the heads up on Shooter.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Slum Dog: after watching the Academy Awards, which thankfully gave away nothing, I think I was expecting High School Musical: the India Years.

Totally blown away by this movie.

Nixon/Frost (I love our library): Was most impressed at how even handed it was and any movie that can keep the tension up when covering fairly recent events is okay by me. Maybe not so surprising, the other movie that comes to mind that did this was Apollo 13, same director.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw Memento yesterday, and actually had an easier time following the plot than I expected to. Maybe I was just having a particularly lucid day. [Big Grin] The DVD extras didn't really hold my interest, though. Guess I'm not enough of a cinema geek.

I resisted the urge to re-watch the scenes one-by-one in reverse-reverse order: just to see if I missed anything. [Wink]

[ June 24, 2009, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I guess the lack of shows right now has me watching tons of movies.

Raging Bull. Great movie! There was one or two parts that got a tad slow with long shots. Though when this film first came out that was revolutionary (in America atleast). Now I am used to it and want to fast foward. That is the only knock! DeNiro had an amazing performance! I believe he won the Oscar for it. Great movie. Maybe my favorite Scorsese film.

The Doors. Wow. Music is something I wish I was more into. I really enjoy the sixties and seventies music...always loved The Doors. Another great film. Stone did a great job of capturing the magic and then the disaster. Val Kilmer was pretty good. I don't give too much credit when an actor plays a drunk, druggie, crazy, or mentally challenged sometimes.

Meg Ryan was a horrible casting job. She was 29 or 30 years old and played a role of Pamela Courson between 18 to 24. The bangs were a tough sell as well.

Kyle MacLachlan did pretty good. (I'm a Twin Peaks fan ofcourse).

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge: Val Kilmer was pretty good.
I still have some fond nostalgia for Real Genius and his character in Willow, but Kilmer's a total hit or miss. When he's on, he's close to Johnny Depp levels of on. When he's just there to cash a check, it shows...
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Saw The Corporation last night. My favorite segments were those talking directly with people doing street-level actions against corporate takeovers: such as the Bolivian citizens who rebelled when water privatization forbade them from even gathering rainwater when they were too poor to pay inflated prices. (!! Thank You, World Bank. !!) There was a lot of filler, but stuff like this made up for it.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen yesterday with my family. I was really dreading it from the advance reviews, but I was pretty much trapped, having two little boys who are obsessed with them.

Really, though, I found it better than expected. The story was better than I've heard it described, and there were some genuinely touching moments in there. But the main purpose was to entertain, and I felt it succeeded in that pretty well despite it running too long. Some of the jokes were definitely a little too racy and the humor a little too broad, but all of those moments drew big laughs in my packed cinema. And the Twins really were nowhere near Jar-Jar levels of annoyance.

That said, it's really not a film I'm anxious to see again. It was fun for one viewing but would offer little to nothing in repeating. Just a good popcorn flick--nothing inherently wrong with that.

Of course I'm not really what anyone would call a hardcore Trans-fan.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
Just saw Memento yesterday, and actually had an easier time following the plot than I expected to. Maybe I was just having a particularly lucid day. [Big Grin] The DVD extras didn't really hold my interest, though. Guess I'm not enough of a cinema geek.

I resisted the urge to re-watch the scenes one-by-one in reverse-reverse order: just to see if I missed anything. [Wink]

Yeah I think it's a testament to Nolan that he pulled this off and it wasn't hard to understand. Love that film.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
<----------- Huge fan of Memento
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
<-----------Me, too!

[Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've kind of halfway watched the first two episodes of the Philanthropist (on NBC, I think?). Really just thought I'd check it out because of Neve Campbell. It seems like there's the potential for a halfway decent show there, but it doesn't really do anything for me.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.