Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » THE WALKING DEAD tv show (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  50  51  52   
Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD tv show
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, they just fired the writers, so something's going to change for next season:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/01/the-walking-dead-axes-writing-staff-considers-freelancers-for-season-2/

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I read the same thing today. However, I disagree. I don't think much is going to change. The writing staff honestly didn't do that much this season. Darabont wrote two of the episodes, and Kirkman wrote one. Another freelancer wrote another one. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this "firing" is just procedural, and he brings some of the writing staff back as freelancers next season. Of course this is all contingent on union rules, but surely this is hardly a gloom-an-doom decision. It's the biggest show ever on basic cable, after all. I'm loving it, btw.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crymsun Kid
Subs Auxillary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crymsun Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Crymsun Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I have been loving this show! After the first ep, I had to go out and read the entire comic series.. So good. I don't normally like the horror genre, but this has me hooked.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Merle might end up being the Governor?

--------------------
Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/

From: Korugar | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Crymsun Kid:
Is it just me, or does it seem like Merle might end up being the Governor?

I hope not because, after all, the Governor should end up being the Governor! [Smile] Seriously, he should end up being his own original character. Not to mention that Merle doesn't appear to have a zombie daughter to feed!

It has occurred to me, though, that Merle might pop up in Woodbury down the line. They've got something in mind, otherwise they wouldn't be setting all this up, and as I (anti-)spoiled earlier, I've read that neither Merle nor Morgan will be popping up in Sunday's season finale. So Woodbury would be a nice potential landing spot for Merle down the line. But I wouldn't be fond of the idea of making him into the Governor.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
So, I'm record at this forum as HATING zombie stuff. It really does terrify me. Having people close to me be turned into enemies/monsters has always been more terrifying to me than just about anything else I can imagine (and I can imagine a LOT). So I'm amazed that I've been able to watch The Walking Dead, and more or less enjoy it. The acting and the characters are so well done I've been able to squint through the horrific zombie attacks.

Last week's episode was particularly powerful and hard (for me) to take, precisely because the characters lost people close to them, and we got to see how different characters reacted differently to that. I figured battered wife (Carol?) would have her comeuppance at some point. Didn't think it would be so quick. But the way that relationship and its end was handled was extremely subtle and powerful.

I also have to say that the scene at dusk outside the CDC at the end was one of the most terrifying things I've witnessed. Total confusion, overflowing emotion, the demoralizing dimness of dusk, a gathering gloom almost worse than the darkness of night. Just overwhelming. And then, Monday night, I had that very experience -- intruders in our back yard that I couldn't see, the dog barking and biting them, the confusion over what was going on. It's all been a good test of my resilience (although I didn't sleep again until last night).

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah those last few minutes outside the CDC were pretty horrific. I was terrified that half of those corpses were going to stand up at any second.

DC, you make a good point about why some people DON'T enjoy the zombie genre, a point I hadn't considered before. I'm glad you've been able to get past that and watch.

And sorry about your scary real-life experience-- hope that turned out to be nothing major! Whew!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
*Finally* just got caught up on episodes 2-5. Quick thoughts to follow -

* I definitely see the Lost comparisons Lash mentioned earlier. Both shows are character pieces using a heavy 'genre' backdrop (sci-fi for Lost, horror for The Walking Dead) featuring a number of age and ethnically diverse characters surviving in a hostile isolated environment against threats coming from both without and within.

Couple that with all the technical similarities like the excellent use of location shooting, make-up, special effects, set-design, music, cinematography, acting (for the most part) and so on (not to mention the love triangle and the rabid fanbases) and I can definitely see why some would say this is their new Lost. I'm almost ready to say the same thing and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVE Lost even more than I love The Walking Dead.

I can't believe you've never watched it Lash?! I think you would really like it. Netflix that baby ASAP!

---

* I (like everyone else here I think) had always expected that this season would end with you-know-who shooting you-know-who. There is no way enough time for them to do all that in the one episode they have left so I definitely think that plot will be delayed until next season.

I am very happy with that since a) the victim in that scenario is one of my fave characters (in both the comic and show) so I'm glad to see them staying around for longer; and b) I never liked that plot point anyway so if they do away with it completely, "hear, hear" I say.

---

* The ending of episode 5 was very good but would have been SOOOOOOOO much better if we had never had that long, drawn out, boring scene with the scientist(?) earlier in the episode.

How much more exciting would it have been if we had been just as surprised as Rick was when that camera moved? And had no idea whether that door was going to open or not? As it was, every single audience member knew full well that that scientist was going to open that door for them, otherwise - why spend all that boring time introducing him? So so much of the suspense was lost from that scene.

Frustratingly bad writing there IMO. Which was a real shame because the rest of the episode was SOOOOO excellent. A lot of very emotional scenes this episode which they handled very well across the board.

---

* Loving Andrea just as much as I do in the comic!

---

* I'm also surprised to say that I am loving all the new characters introduced too (well, not Merle) like T-Dog, Jacquie, Morales and his family and Daryl. In fact, and I already know I'm going to be the only person in this thread (or probably any The Walking Dead thread anywhere) but I think I prefer them to a lot of the regulars from the comic!

I think I really like having no idea what's going to happen to those characters. And that excitement/fear for them has made me more attached to them. Whereas most of the other ones I already kinda know exactly where they're going. And that familiarity has made me kinda bored of them in this version.

I think it would take real balls for the writing staff here to kill off someone like Glenn or Dale early and thus really tell the viewers "No one is safe!" unlike the way it is now which is "No one is safe (except for all the characters that you know are safe)!" I really hope they do that.

---

* Speaking of Morales and his family - was anyone else thinking they were the new Donna and Allen and Ben and Billy? I'm glad they're not since if they had been - why not just call them Donna and Allen and etc? It also seems realistic to me that some people in a group would want to go their own way and reconnect with their family somewhere or something. I wonder if we'll ever meet up with them again, like we (probably) will with Morgan and Duane one day?

---

* In some ways I think this comic book adaptation has really improved upon the source material. Sure, some scenes have been a bit unfortunately clunky (like the above-mentioned boring scientist scene, and I was not a fan of that stupid comic-booky stand-off/misunderstanding with the Latin 'gang' a couple of episodes ago) but so far, I have been VERY impressed with this show. Next October is WAY too long to wait for Season 2. [Frown]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I was in my CBS Thursday and was subjected to having to hear three fanboys absolutely tearing apart this series because it wasn't following the comic verbatim. I felt like screaming, "if it was exactly like the comic, what would be the point of watching?!?!"

You know what? It's a really good show with some exceptional character work! I LIKE not knowing what's gonna happen in every episode!!! I like getting to know some of the characters better and meeting some new ones like Daryl along the way!!! If it bothers them so much, turn it off and stick to the comics! YEESH!

Plenty of people here are hardcore TWD fans but seem to have little problem enjoying a quality TV show that takes some liberties with the source material. Are we all anomalies...or has someone eaten those guys' brains! I guess they're the kind of guys who felt that the organic web-shooters in Raimi's Spidey movies totally ruined everything else that was done so well in those (especially the first two) films. Man, I hate that kind of fanboy! Grr!

Anyway, I probably woulda went off on them, but if I had, I woulda been late for work. [Smile]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Forgot to add - as all the Lost fans in here will know (and weep for what might have been with Walt's storyline), having child actors in a show which takes months/years to film, but is meant to only take place over a few days/weeks/months story-time, can start to get very problematic as those child actors age and grow faster than their character should be.

So what will the writers do with Carl and Sophia? I hope it doesn't become a problem but I also hope they quickly get rid of them if it does. I don't want a 6ft tall post-puberty Carl suddenly walking around still pretending he's an 11 year-old (or however old Carl is meant to be).

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

P.S. Are spoilers from the comic completely out the window in this thread now? I notice some people in here just throwing big events from the comics into their posts without any warning of "Spoilers" or use of the Spoiler tags or anything.

If everyone in this thread has read the comic then that's cool I guess but I think there might be some in here that haven't.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still trying to be vague re: comic-book happenings in my posts. If I haven't been it was by accident.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Trying to be vague as well...although if things are out in the open after a few posts, I will comment on them.

I'm wondering how they will deal with the kids aging as well. They can always bounce around a bit in time...6 months/a year here or there may work to keep them on track. Not saying that it would be my favorite thing to see happen, but it could work. Especially if they take the characters to the spots they end up in with the comic.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Early on in this thread, I encouraged everyone to mention the very spoilery elements from the comic (like who died) only in the Gym'll's thread. Since that seemed too rigid, we've mostly kept things either vague or in spoiler boxes. Overall, I think it's been handled pretty well.

There HAVE been name-drop references to presumed-forthcoming people and places like Wilshire Estates, Woodbury, the prison, the Governor, Tyreese, Michonne etc., but I feel they've been non-specific enough to not feel too much like we're spoiling anyone as to specific things that will (likely) happen. I think the most spoilerish you could get here is by saying who will die in a character-focused series like this one, and that has been meticulously avoided, IMO.

Honestly, though, it sometimes seem like everyone who posts to this thread either was already a TWD fan or was so impressed by the TV series that they've quickly gotten into the GNs! Either way, I think we're keeping a good bit of self-restraint here.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I certainly wouldn't want the kids written out because of the Walt Factor. There's no reason why the series has to have the same timeline as the books. I think Carl at least will look pretty childish for another 2-3 years, I think.

Sophia looks a bit older than she should, but she's not a character that's exactly been given many defining moments in the books, unlike Carl. I'm more interested in seeing how they handle Carol's particular character beats.

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Re: Spoilers - Chief Lardy, Dev Em and Iam Legion all completely spoil a-certain-character-who-we-all-thought-was-going-to-die-this-season-but-probably-won't-until-next-season's death in their posts at the bottom of page 13 of this thread.

I think spoiler boxes were called for regarding those comments.

(Edited to add I forgot Iam Legion from the list.)

This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  50  51  52   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.