Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
Salchow30
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
Someone mentioned Paul doing a fill-in (which I would love dearly)......but I've always thought Paul and Keith should do an Elseworlds Story about THEIR Legion.......the one that last showed up in 89, in LSH #63. There would be no reboot, no five-year-gap........just our gang of heroes living life after the "magic war". Granted, it would not be something the new breed of Legion reader would necessarily understand or appreciate, but that's why it's Elseworlds.

I think a lot of us old-timers would relish a small-scale project of this nature....kind of like a valentine to folks who have been reading the book since the 50s, 60s, 70s (that's where I fall in the mix). One more look at the LSH we grew up with.

Maybe Keith could even "evolve" again, coming up with a style combining the sensibilities of his current look with maybe a touch of the realism and detail he used to portray.

This has just always been a little dream of mine. And LARRY MAHLSTEDT inks it!!! No exceptions!!!!!

Jamie

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jafabian
unregistered

Lord, I miss Larry! I LOVED his work. Any idea what he's up to lately?
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
JaFabian,

I'd love to draw the Doom Patrol again, but unlike the Legion, I'm only interested in the original version. I am still geeked over the first appearances of the Doom Patrol in "My Greatest Adventure!" No matter how good any of what followed may have been ... THAT was the real Doom Patrol, case closed! In fact, I've even proposed a Doom Patrol graphic novel, but at the time, DC wasn't interested in reintegrating the DP into the mainstream DCU. I suppose that things have changed since then.

As for Paul Levitz doing the Legion ... I think that Paul would be bitten by the bug again if he wrote another Legion story. My guess is that Paul knows he couldn't write just one. It would be too much of a reminder of how much he loved it all.

Salchow30,

I share your enthusiasm for Larry Mahlstedt. He's a good guy and a talented inker. I haven't seen his work in comics since a Flash 80-Page Giant that we both worked on a few years ago. He was inking Butch Guice's pencils on a Flash story in that issue, while I was doing the art on an XS story. I don't think Larry has done a lot of comic work lately, but I could be wrong. Whatever he's up to, I certainly wish him the best.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Ahem.

Oh, don't mind me ... just clearing my throat.

Steve : )

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Steve, are you getting 'into the groove' on your LEGION issues ??
I just know you're gonna blow us away !

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeh! Where are the free-bee sneek peaks??? Show us a little leg there Steve.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

I'd love to show you a preview of the Umbra issue, but Legion editor Stephen Wacker has laid down the law. He wants to keep it all under wraps for now, and he is the bossman.

Maybe we'll sneak something out to you all a little closer to print time. After all, if you get too familiar with it now, it may feel like old news by the time it's finally in print ... and we don't want that happening.

Thanks for asking though.

Steve

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Back to the top for Mr. L's B-Day! [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wesconnorsehny
unregistered

It will be incredible to see more of Steve Lightle on the Legion! I read all 12 pages and agreed with almost all of it (and had to copy some to put with my Lightle-era issues. It will be a good opportunity to read them again). I remember buying all the ToL issues over just for the Steve Lightle covers (they cut the stories inside, I remember). I remember being really impressed with "Election Day!" I practically memorized that one. Nobody said this but I think Steve's non-human Legionnaires were much more endearing and more carefully thought out than making Princess Projectra a snake. Projectra was so, you know, and it was really a kick in the, you know, to make her a big snake. I like the Jim Shooter appearance much better. Lightle & Levitz really created non-human looking characters we could like. I think there were a lot of readers asking for some non-Earth/human characters over the years. Quislet was great. There was one called "Quislet's Story" I think. That was an amazing one. I hope you, Steve, become a regular Legion artist. You could start a companion comic to the current title if you need to! Wasn't Dan Jurgens doing the Legion at the same time as you? Two comics featuring the Legion was going to be the norm, I thought. I think you could probably find some other ex-Legionnaires to re-join (some of them I've seen on this message board). I'm sure we would be willing to send you scripts free if you need them. I think you should talk to some of the ^i^s at DC about putting Superboy & Supergirl back in the Legion which I mentioned on another page somewhere. Or, if not, they need to find a place for Captain Marvel Jr & Mary Marvel. They would be adequate substitutions for the Supercousins. BTW, the current Supergirl already is a Legionnaire - genetically speaking. I believe she is made from the DNA of the pre-Crisis/reboot/Zero Hour/whatever Lana Lang of the silver age. I think this was established in a Byrne Superman story (no less!)? So, as Kinda Lana, she is an honorary member and has been an active Legionnaire in her Insect Queen form (not too far removed from one of her current popwers). Of course, neither the Legion nor Supergirl knows any of this, but maybe Brainiac 5 could figure it out in a routine visit to the clone bank (Superboy #206 got better with age, didn't it?). How about it, Steve? Yes, please keep the pairings as you listed them! Brainiac 5 and Supergirl, especially! You could start with Brainiac 5 checking the LSH DNA bank and being somehow drawn to a strange one, "Supergirl," and finding something not quite right with it......I like what you said about the relationships being "organic and not contrived." Exactly
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
I would love to see linda in the 30th centry for a while one of my fav stories was in one of the supergirl annuals where her and brainy become trapped in his force feild and there was a definet tension between them so this would be good to explore. Also for a while I beleive DC were considering the kingdom come story as the offical dc future. In this the legion were only in the back ground of one panel with both superboy and supergirl as members but one of the next generation heros looked like supergirl had similar powers and green skin so it was fairly obvious what somebody had in mind there.

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wesconnorsehny
unregistered

Wasn't it great that Brainiac 5 with his green skin, slighter build, & strong mind got Supergirl? The past relationships should be kept, as Mr. Lightle suggested. There are a lot of characters to play around with regarding relationships... do something NEW with some of them instead of messing around with an established pairing like Imra-Garth. The Legion writers of the past, like Shooter & Levitz, didn't need to change the basic Imra-Garth pairing to write good stories. They built on what was there! There are so many stories and directions... for writers with imaginations!
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Garth and Imra may have been paired, pre-boot, but I don't think that their relationship was a very healthy or good one.

I don't think that the original pairings have to be kept.

I'd prefer Tasmia with Lar, maybe, because of the way that their relationship ended during Zero Hour, it would just make Karma'c sense for them to seek each other out, again.
Tinya and Jo certainly are together and should stay that way.

The rest are up for grabs, I think, since these are not the same people and none of the other preboot relationships were that good or close.
Even Rokk became the Time Trapper and mostly abandoned Lydda.
Laurel/Supergirl ended up with Rond, not Brainy.
Vi and Ayla didn't have a relationship until after Imsk's war with Braal and Vi was discharged, so it was very short termed.

There's just too many new characters and interests, going now, to force the characters to follow old patterns, I think.

Shady

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wesconnorsehny
unregistered

I agree with you on Tinya & Jo. I think Jo & Phase worked for me to... I think that keeps in with Steve Lightle's belief that there be some "organic" foundation to the realtionships. I think of Laurel & Supergirl as two separate characters and agree with your pairings of Rond & Laurel & Brainy & Supergirl. Sounds pretty organic. I think I'd go along with many of the diversions you noted. Still, I do think a Lightning Lad/Live Wire/Garth/Proty III/whatever should be brought back and that's the pairing for Saturn Girl. Hope the relationship remains imperfect, too! (aren't they all?)
wesconnorsehny
unregistered

that was "Jo & Phase worked fro me toO"
oooch

Miss Understood
unregistered

Wes, darling, please try paragraphs when typing long posts!
My big baby blues are crossed and I haven't even started on the liter of Stoli in my freezer!![Wink]

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.