Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Mattel: LSH action figures! (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Mattel: LSH action figures!
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think in this instance it's more about trying to drive traffic to the Matty Collector Web site. From their perspective, the more people they bring to the site, the more merchandise they stand to move, based on customers seeing something on the site they didn't know was available. Also, the more they sell direct, the more direct profit they make on the sets. A set like this is also likely a limited run, so they have more control over orders if they do it directly. For the Legion, they're probably assuming that the audience isn't that big to begin with, so why go through the effort and expense to solicit the set with Diamond?
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colossal Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colossal Boy   Email Colossal Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
My daughter wants these now too. No way I can afford two sets...

Yeah... I understand the $15 individual pricepoint, but as a 12-figure set it's a bit much. And $360 for the originally-intended 24 figure set?? [Eek!] [gasp] [Gasp]
It's rather interesting in that the $180 for 12-pack (or $360 for a 24pack) works out to $15
a figure, which is the average retail price you would pay for DCUC in stores (assuming you can find them). So you would be spending the same amount of money on average over time if you were to buy the figures individually (if they were made available that way). But by putting them into a single pack, Mattel has created sticker shock by making people go wow I spend a lot of money on this hobby and do I really want to spend that much on on a Legion sub-line.

It wouldn't surprise if down the road that certain figures (ie Brainy, Saturn Girl, etc) get re-released as All-Star singles in part of a future DCUC wave. But for figures like M-E Lad, likely the only place to get him will be this 12-pack.

Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
Someone who talked with Mattel at SDCC posted that these wouldn't be out until April/May.

So, plenty of time to save!

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Birthday GIFT!!!!

My parents will buy this for me!

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
It would be a cool early Christmas gift ... I think I'll start dropping hints to friends and family ... not to mention Matty's e-mail address!
[Big Grin]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

If you mean early -- as in 2011! Won't be available this year -- unfortunately.
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Oh my, why do they have to make it so complicated? Wouldn't they reach a much bigger audience if they would use Previews?

That's really a bummer. Guess I'll have to ask my comic book shop if they can support me on this one.

Actually, it's pretty easy to buy through MattyCollector, even from abroad. I've bought from them a number of times. Very simple.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
Oh my, why do they have to make it so complicated? Wouldn't they reach a much bigger audience if they would use Previews?

That's really a bummer. Guess I'll have to ask my comic book shop if they can support me on this one.

Actually, it's pretty easy to buy through MattyCollector, even from abroad. I've bought from them a number of times. Very simple.
In Germany, we have a saying: "Your word be in God's ear" meaning that I hope you're right [Smile]

Let's hope the Euro will have stabilized til spring 2011, might be a major price factor...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet, but I saw on eBay that someone is taking preorders for a Tyr figure, which is supposed to be part of Mattel's DC Heroes Wave 14 line. This figure seems much more detailed than the one offered by Kenner in the mid-eighties.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Well...yeah.

DCUC figures are much more sophisticated than the Super-Powers line of the 80s.

Most, if not all, of the figures from the 80s Super Powers line are finding their way into the DCUC waves.

I just wish Tyr had his original ball-shaped gun that Dave Cockrum designed as opposed to the clunky bazooka arm Jack Kirby added.

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
I cringe whenever I see an ad for one of these things. Because they're always aimed towards adult collectors. They're one more sign that the comics industry is in the middle of a long, incredibly drawn out, collapse.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Keep an eye out for the next Toyfare magazine...it will talk extensively about these legion action figures. I saw the preview and got nerdgasm.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by future king:
quote:
Originally posted by kcekada:
Actually, with prices likely to go up each year, we'd all pay well over $180 for 12 figures if they came out periodically over the long haul.

$180 seems like a huge amount on the surface, but it's actually reasonable when you get down to it. Shipping has me a little worried, but I can deal with it.

I'm more worried about ordering it through matty.com. I've heard horror stories about that site.

If by "worried" you mean their shipping costs, well I have ordered from them 3 times now and I've always found their prices to be quite fair (and I'm in Canada remember so that is a factor). If you're worried about the condition of the package being shipped, again they are pretty good when it comes to wrapping the boxes tightly enough that they survive the trip. They even open them at customs first before they arrive to me in Canada, and the toys and packaging have always arrived in mint condition.

This has been my experience with Mattycollector in the past and I will be using them again in the future. Hope this info helps you.

I ordered the JLU type figures from them and had to pay almost the same amount again for postage costs as I did for the figures! I don't know why but the post office put some sort of import charge on them when they arrived in the UK.

So be careful when ordering these things!!

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
Keep an eye out for the next Toyfare magazine...it will talk extensively about these legion action figures. I saw the preview and got nerdgasm.

It didn't offer much new information.

The 12-pack was done in response to DC wanting something special for hardcore collectors.

The wanted to do Bouncing Boy, but it would require a new sculpt and was cost-prohibitive at this point. They wanted to do Duo Damsel, but couldn't make it work for the 12-pack. Other characters they would have liked to included -- Sun Boy, Phantom Girl (empahsized), Invisible Kid, Dawnstar, Blok, Ferro Lad.

More Legionnaires will probably show up in the C&C's.

Could be variants of the figures in the 12-pack down the road. Brainiac 5 was mentioned.

They want to finish the remaining four characters of the Fatal Five.

ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Has there been any further update on when this comes out? I know we had a few threads on action figures in general and the DC Universe Classics line but I can't seem to find them.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.