Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Museum of Legion Arts: WaK Wing - On Deck Circle (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Museum of Legion Arts: WaK Wing - On Deck Circle
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The WaK Wing - On Deck Circle will be opening January 1st (or end of December if you've got time-cosuming New Year's Eve plans) so I just wanted to set this up early. This gallery will comprise of creative works of "your own renditions of characters that didn't make the first cut of the Waid/Kitson (WaK) era team".

We love brand new submissions (stories, poems, prose, novels, artwork, action figures, statues, busts, micros, etchings, etc.) but we certainly want your existing work posted in the galleries too! Come join us on January 1st for the On Deck Party!

With so many WaK sophomores to chose from, who will you WaKize?!?

Go here to vote for the next gallery:
Click here to vote!

Go here to view past galleries:
The Post-Boot Original Legionnaires Wing
The Halloween Gallery
The Gim Gallery
The Substitute-Heroes Collection
The Founders' Wing
The Wing Wing
The Timberwolf Wing
The Luorno Durgo Collection
The Mano Wing

- The Curatorial Staff of the Museum of Legion Arts

From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
As i will hopefully be doing something naughty for New Year's Eve, I thought I'd go ahead and post these early. Here's Adam Brody (the O.C.) as my reimagined Waid/Kitson era Matter-Eater Lad and Jorge Garcia (Lost) as my reimagined Waid/Kitson era Bouncing Boy!
 -
 -

ART NOTES
Matter-Eater Lad: Notice the stripes - reminiscent of the original costume, and the shades, a nod to the last two incarnations. Also, since lots of Barry's new designs have new logos, I thought I'd update Tenz's with a nod to the 80s eating icon: Pacman!

Bouncing Boy: I really like the original costume so I mainly changed the piping on the costume, added a bouncing logo, and added the toussled hair that Cobie likes so much. Oh yeah, my reimagined Bouncing Boy is an alcoholic - he's addicted to vintage silverale (before the SP designed a non-alcoholic version)! [Razz]

** I forgot to mention, I just changed ISPs so all the files I host will soon be unhosted. I'll try to rehost the important files and eventually change the links but I'll have a lot less bandwith so I might not rehost everything...**

[ September 17, 2006, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Monkey Eater Lad ]

From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
The WaK Wing!
I can see this as a "West Wing" Parody!

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Not being anything close to resembling an artist like our other posters, I had to resort to using tools such as HeroMachine and the hero creator at City of Heroes to create my reimagined Legionnaires.

First up....2 versions of Mon, or rather, Marvel lad. The first is my version on City of Heroes. He has yet to earn his cape [Frown] so you'll just have to imagine how magnificant he'll be once he gets it! [Big Grin] (Or maybe one of our talented artist can add one to this pic for me!)

-

And below is a version created with HeroMachine...

-

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Next up are two designs for the new Mysa, both from City of Heroes. In the new Legion she would probably be codenamed Mystic Lass.

-

-

--------------------

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Next up is a version of Polar Boy (who SHOULD be in the Legion since there's no point for Subs this time around)

-

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Next is a completely new hero based on a merger of various other incarnations. In the Adventure era we met Quantum Queen, first as a statue in the Hall of Fallen Legionnaires and finally as one of the Wanderes. In the reboot, of course, we were given Kid Q 1 & 2, neither of which was very well liked by many.

Quantum Kid blends them all together into someone completely new.

-

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

And last but certainly not least in my book, is Condo Arlik, formerly known as Chemical King and now renamed Catalyst Kid.

First the HeroMachine version...

-

and next the version that has been so successful as a member of the Legion on City of Heroes (I particularly love this design! [Big Grin] )

-

I'm working on some other ideas but none are done yet, so I'll post them when they're ready! Can't wait to see everyone else's versions!

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Oops! Almost forgot one....

This is the new Quislet. In this version, he's still the little energy being that uses a transport system. However, he has spent a long time "watching" the Legionnaires from his universe and has modeled his transport system to resemble them. Of course he didn't realize how large the really were until he made his escape and arrived on Earth only to discover that he had misjudged sizes and only came up to their waists in most cases! [Big Grin]

Still, he's the Quislet we all know and love, fun loving, energetic, impetuous, and curious. And yes he still says "What fun!" [Big Grin]

-

--------------------

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Boy! My Netscape sure is being difficult these days.

Near as I can tell all of the pics above will load, but you may have to "encourage them" by hitting reload. [Big Grin]

PS: I can't believe I'm the only one besides Monkey Eater Lad that got some reimagined Legionnaires done in time for the gallery opening.

Let's see more!

--------------------

Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Oy VEEEEEEEEEEE! I love the Polar Boy design and Mystic Lass is a great name! How come were the only ones cranking 'em out?!? More! More! More! Its not much of a Museum if we don't have a diverse Legionworld contributing contingent...
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
You guys have done some great work on this! I've only just gotten around to depicting the WaK Legionnaires that HAVE been reimagined, so I'll need a bit more time to get to the ones that haven't, yet.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry I'm behind. I was a little under the weather last week, and didn't feel up to doing much. This is something I did at lunch time. It's not very polished (it's not even inked), but it's more or less just getting an idea I had down on paper.

The one thing that bothered me about Dawnstar in the past is that her look didn't make much sense to me in terms of her abilities. I mean, for one thing, her costume had a back to it... how on earth did she get those huge wings into it? Another thing was that she had long hair, but she flew. Now, normally that wouldn't matter to me, cuz long hair looks cool when you're flying. With Dawnstar, however, it was her wings that would look cool while flying. And all that fringe on her costume would have driven me nuts.

So, this costume incorporates the midriff element of many of today's Legionnaire lasses, and the top is also backless to accommodate her wings. The boots (which you can't see here) have a small fringe on the top. The costume isn't exactly "Native American" inspired by today's standards, but I decided to give it my own idea of what that might mean 1,000 years from now. Her hair is still long, but is worn in a more practical braid. The belt buckle is meant to be birdlike, but I think it might look more batlike in this pic.

I would probably tweak it in a more finished drawing, but this is the general idea I had going on [Smile]

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I know I'd love to see a more finished version, if you're inclined. Or this one inked, or colored, or both. It's an intriguing and plausible reimagining (there's that word again!).

I'd demur about her original look, created by Grell and Sherman: She didn't originally have a back to her outfit. The bodice was cut to the same depth and shape in front and in back. It was held up by going over and hanging from her shoulder blades, about two-thirds of the way toward her neck. (See "Superboy" 226.)

Others had the fabric moving in closer yet to her pinions, but you never quite saw where they sprang from her back, at least until Greg LaRocque's work (on occasion).

Her late-v3 Giffen redesign had a neck-circling ornament holding her outfit up, in a shape similar to yours. It also had braids, but unlike your softer look, they were wrapped enough to almost become deadly weapons.

Your minimizing of the fringe and using gauntlets as ornament works well here. Reactions to her long hair and fringe reflect individual tastes, and though I always liked them, I found them impractical for Legion battles.

On the other hand, Dawny rarely had cause to be in direct battles. And the hair and fringe, as with a cape, could show her relative motion or its lack on the comics page. That's probably why they were kept.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like the emblems for MEL & Bouncing Boy - and the faces chosen suit their personalities.

Polar Boy's costume is wild, Vee! Great name changes for Mysa and Condo. Love Mysa's icy purple look.

I sometimes wondered how Dawnstar got her clothes over her wings as well. You'd think she'd want maximum freedom for her wing movement. The braid makes sense, looks good and fits in with the native American look. What I really liked was the jewelry. I wonder if those bracelets could be like medals or symbols of achieving different levels of training.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.