Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yay!

I think if we can hammer out some hotel details, like group rates, people sharing rooms, etc, we can maybe make this as financially 'smart' as possible. So we should all work on that too.

Director Lad mentions August--and that works for me so far. The only potential conflict would be a wedding I have to attend next summer but hopefully that's in another month. The one month of the year that def does NOT work for me is July.

We're all pretty tight around here: if there is an aspect of this that you're having trouble figuring out / getting comfortable with, let us know. We can all come up with a solution!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Anyone have a way to get in touch with Loser?

I'll check for email addresses, but maybe he can be emailed through the board? He actually might come, as he's made met up with us before!

We should also make sure CJ, Cali, Monkey Eater, Actor Lad, Faraway, etc all know! Facebook shall be our ally! Stu just found out and he's in! I suspect others will do the same.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Chicago seems to have gangster-themed tours and even a museum. EDE should be happy. I'm up for those, too.

August is no prob for me, especially mid to late august.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Chicago works so well for me on several levels. It's close enough that if I cannot get together enough for an overnight, I can make it there and back in one day...I've done longer trips.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm in. I just need to know when.

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I can probably swing it. My sister lives in the suburbs of Chicago, so I can visit with her before or after.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Ex, I was gonna call bunking with your Whee fem, but since tone-of-voice doesn't convey in posts, I won't even mention it. Not a word. I am the soul of forbearance. (You do know I am kidding, right? Although maybe she has a cute friend with low self-esteem? ha ha!)

As for car-pooling, I am in the Cincinnati area. If anyone wants to drive together, whether you are passing through here, or are between here and Chicago, let me know.

I think everyone in the same hotel would be best, if possible. I will start checking out Marriot properties in Chicago. Is there any particular part of Chicago we want to stay in?

Cobie, I also love walking around cities and just seeing what there is to see!

Anybody wanna be bunkies, btw?

Actually, before I start checking on rates, can we get an idea of who will be going to this? And are we talking basically a weekend stay?

Also, I am curious - who is planning on going, and what is the likelihood that you will go? I am 90% sure I will be going, btw. Chicago is maybe 6 hrs driving time.

To sum up, I basically need some general idea of location, and an approximate head count. I hope to see lots of you there!

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Boy, would I love to make this, but I'm doubtful it would work for me. We'll see, but the chances are pretty low.

If not, I'll be eager to hear how things went...

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
^Nonsense!

12 years is far too long to have gone by without you having ever "gathered".

I hereby make the promise that if you can get the time off for whatever dates we decide upon, I will personally make my way down there and drive you up myself!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
When I last posted to this thread I had somehow missed earlier in the thread that there was a poll, and somehow neglected to subscribe to the thread (damn I wish that were automatic on LW), so once again I'm just catching up.

Else NYC would have tied for first place. Ah well.

For me the big commitment is still going to new city to spend time with people, none of whom I've met yet. It's a lot of unknowns. Hell, it's only unknowns. I'm shy and careful. And I don't drink, which would normally mitigate those last two, I'm told.

It's not that I don't expect y'all to be a great bunch, but that doesn't guarantee social chemistry or common interests in city-exploring. Or overlapping tastes in dance music.

So I'll have to hear more about the timing and other plans, and read up on Chicago itself.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm about 90% certain.

@lance: I'd prefer downtown, myself.

I'm sure many of us are willing to bunk.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Shining Son: I know just how you feel. I was a bundle of nerves going to San Diego for the big LW meet-up a few years ago. I'm generally shy and careful, too. I roomed with three guys I'd never met beyond this board, and the whole trip was a blast.

I still haven't met a lot of people in this thread (which is the whole point of doing this meet-up), but if they're half as awesome as the ones I have met, this trip will be a success.

I don't drink, either, but it's not a big deal. Just get a Coke. And Chicago is smoke-free in its restaurants and bars, so there's not that to worry about.

I'm game for just about any time of year, though I know the city will be pretty full and hotel rates might be higher the last weekend of May (International Mr. Leather, which may be a reason to do it that weekend for some of us [Wink] ).

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, so... timing.

After a few days of discussion, it seems as though there are enough folks who are either:

- Committed regardless of timing
- Committed dependent on timing or
- Interested but not committed, pending additional factors

to say that we should continue on with formal planning.

Of the date suggestions that have been thrown out thus far, there appears to be a bit of a bias toward the month of August, 2013.

Looking at the average temperature chart, it seems (surprise!) that August is hot, but not unbearably so. Additionally, many available activites are inside, so... AC, or if you are a beach type, the beaches are open all the way through Labor Day as another way to beat the heat.

Taking a look at the calendar, there are 5 weekends in August, 2013 (I'm making the assumption that we would want to structure this around a weekend, overlapping on either side based on the needs/flexibility of the individuals involved) so the generic date options in question would be:

8/3-8/4
8/10-8/11
8/17-8/18
8/24-8/25
8/31-9/1

The final weekend above is Labor Day weekend, which has both built in benefits and detriments:

- That weekend has the built in Monday holiday, so extra buffer day for travel
- Holiday means greater range of activities/options (that weekend is also jazz fest)
- But it also meens greater crowds and possible premium hotel rates

So... specific thoughts?

Is there a month other than August that you prefer, or, if August is your preference, do any of those weekends jump out as being preferable over the others?

[ April 05, 2012, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
August or Early September is good for me. About the best without knowing my schedule then.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Many people do family things over Labor Day weekend - I would think we should avoid that weekend. Also, the traffic will be worse and we likely won't get as good a rate on a hotel.

Any thoughts from others?

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.