Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
I fall into the "interested but not committed" category, and timing is almost not an issue for me.

I think Kent suggested I meet Cobie and Rhino. I believe Rhino's in Jersey, but have no idea where Cobie is.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd also avoid Labor Day weekend (good idea though, Ex! [Smile] )

September, October and November are also great months (August works for me too), but I guess that depends on other's schedules. July is the only 'def not' month for me.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
I fall into the "interested but not committed" category, and timing is almost not an issue for me.

I think Kent suggested I meet Cobie and Rhino. I believe Rhino's in Jersey, but have no idea where Cobie is.

I live in Connecticut, SS, and Rhino is based in NYC.

I def suggest you try the Chicago meet-up! But in the meantime, there is some talk about a smaller NY meet-up sometime soon. The only issue is that weekend are VERY tough for me.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
Shining Son: I know just how you feel. I was a bundle of nerves going to San Diego for the big LW meet-up a few years ago. I'm generally shy and careful, too. I roomed with three guys I'd never met beyond this board, and the whole trip was a blast.

I'll ditto that. I flew to Dallas to meet/room with the very first LWers I'd ever met - in one of the first such meet-ups we'd ever attempted. I'd also lost my only credit card en route; I was completely dependent upon rooming with then-strangers. You know what? It was a blast. We've got quite a good crowd here.

quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
I don't drink, either, but it's not a big deal. Just get a Coke. And Chicago is smoke-free in its restaurants and bars, so there's not that to worry about.

There are a number of LWers who do not drink, and several of which seem quite committed to the gathering. I myself am not nearly the drinker I sometimes joke around to be. It's hardly the barrier to being one of the gang.

[ April 05, 2012, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Kent Shakespeare ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
OK, so... timing.

After a few days of discussion, it seems as though there are enough folks who are either:

- Committed regardless of timing
- Committed dependent on timing or
- Interested but not committed, pending additional factors

to say that we should continue on with formal planning.

Of the date suggestions that have been thrown out thus far, there appears to be a bit of a bias toward the month of August, 2013.

Looking at the average temperature chart, it seems (surprise!) that August is hot, but not unbearably so. Additionally, many available activites are inside, so... AC, or if you are a beach type, the beaches are open all the way through Labor Day as another way to beat the heat.

Taking a look at the calendar, there are 5 weekends in August, 2013 (I'm making the assumption that we would want to structure this around a weekend, overlapping on either side based on the needs/flexibility of the individuals involved) so the generic date options in question would be:

8/3-8/4
8/10-8/11
8/17-8/18
8/24-8/25
8/31-9/1

The final weekend above is Labor Day weekend, which has both built in benefits and detriments:

- That weekend has the built in Monday holiday, so extra buffer day for travel
- Holiday means greater range of activities/options (that weekend is also jazz fest)
- But it also meens greater crowds and possible premium hotel rates

So... specific thoughts?

Is there a month other than August that you prefer, or, if August is your preference, do any of those weekends jump out as being preferable over the others?

Labor Day weekend is the worst of the lot for me. It's likely be the most expensive for lodgings, flying, and car rental (if anyone is planing such) too (except for Enterprise from a small off-the-beaten-track locale; they often offer good all-weekend deals from places that would not ordinarily have holiday weekend demand).

We may want to pick hotel locations as close to Lake Michigan as possible, in the event of high heat levels. A decent hotel should have AC anyway, but being near the lake will be more bearable outside than inland.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd say it is wiser to avoid a Holiday weekend and a holiday MONTH. Scheduling the LMB get-together the same month of a major holiday is sure to mean many people cannot afford both weekends (assuming they have holiday weekend plans).

But whatever is fine with me. I am actually 100% commited to this meet-up RULING OUT ANY health concerns with my elderly grandparents. They must come first no matter what.

When we went to Dallas, a couple of folks ended up on the couch in the room Scott (Lightning Lad) reserved for me, no biggie, share and share alike.

However-- as outgoing as I may seem, I am actually a nervous bundle of crazy at things like this, and MOST DEFINITELY will require a bar nearby to ease my jangled nerves and make me bearable to be around. I am sure Cobie can be convinced to join me at one. [Smile]

I have previously met Quis and Pov and know I would feel instantly at ease with them though. It *does* help to know someone beforehand. I do tend to wander off on my own though.

And whoever drives there with me will become either my best friend forever or my most hated of enemies. There will be no in-between [Wink]

LASTLY... while straight bars are fine with me, I *must* check out a gay bar in Chicago so I certainly hope there's some homos going!!! I WANT RHINO TO GO!!

REALLY LASTLY... I cannot go to a strange city without visiting a comic shop there!!

PS/ PIZZA.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I will move heaven and earth to be there if Lashie is going. [Wink]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
...or anyone else that I haven't met yet.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I am pretty poor, so I will likely be bringing my own beer. And cigarettes, which are cheaper in Kentucky than anywhere else that I know of.

Already quite eager for this to happen.

Also, just curious - is this an exclusively male gathering? Any of our prominent female posters gonna be there?

Maybe I need to get an interlac tshirt made for this event...hmm..maybe I should have some made up and sell them. Would be a cool momento to have, I think.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Warning, whiny personal info ahead, feel free to skip this post.

I know going on a grand adventure and meeting all new people can be a blast, but it's still a big risk for me for me, because through nobody's fault I just may not click with the folks, the city, the food, or the activities. This is a case where all four are unfamiliar. And everything else for that matter. For me, it's like walking through the Stargate without a MALP checking things first.

I just wish I had a little more certainty on at least one factor before paying for planes and hotels with the economy and the massage business the way it's been the last few years. At the moment, I don't have much "oh what the hell" money, so it just puts all the more pressure on having a good time, which makes it harder to just have a good time.

So the numbers will count for something in this decision as the estimates start coming in.

Also, I need to go at least a few more months without a friendship mishap. The last couple of years haven't done much for my faith in people.

On the other hand, I'm telling you all this so I must trust and like this group at least a little bit. Maybe it's just easier to be with strangers right now, even with the risk.

---
Responding to some smaller points, in case anyone's interested in reading YET MORE about me:

Maybe people read something else into it, but me not drinking is not at all something I worry about, I just meant if I DID drink it would counteract some of the "shy and careful", or so I've heard. It also supposedly makes things fun that you might not ordinarily think so, which seems like a good backup to have if your intent is to enjoy yourself. [Smile]

And the only reason I don't drink is I haven't found anything I like the taste of and never noticed any effect, so there's not much point in alcohol without either of those.

(I'll skip the coke too, as I'm trying to get back to a six-pack. Of the abs kind. My shirt's off most of the summer.)

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Shining, the only thing I have to say is, you would be meeting a bunch of people with whom you know you have something in common - that is, the Legion. If you can come, I hope you do. I would love to meet you. Even if you don't drink, you can buy me a beer. (ha ha)

Hey, are we going to do dramatic readings of classic Legion stories? Play Legion trivial pursuit? Or - dare I say it - Survivor Chicago? Every hour someone is voted out of the hotel? Could even Ex be planning something that dastardly?

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Even though I'm not the shy type and my day to day job includes meetings all kinds of new people for the first time, I have to admit whenever I meet new online people, I also feel a bit of nerves beforehand. I don't think I'll ever get over the 'weirdness' of meeting message board people in real life, even though every experience I've ever had has been 100% fantastic.

Subsequently, like Lash, a stop-in at the local bar / pub / watering hole for a drink would be quite welcome to shake out any anxiety! Plus, I like drinking anyway. [Big Grin] (But I don't care if others don't drink--to each their own!)

Also, I def think we should hit up a comic book store! Once we pick where we're staying, someone needs to find one stat!

Then we should look for Dr. Mayavale style hats.

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
If I had to guess, I suspect there is a lot of shyness among members of this board. I'm very good at pretending I'm not shy, but I'm actually very nervous around people, even people I've known a long time.

Having said that, in '08 I went in feet first and roomed in San Diego with Kent, Seymour and Director Lad, none of whom I had met in person before, and we had a great time.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Lance, the idea of being voted out of the hotel is not helping!
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't worry Shiney, you're part of the alliance... no blind siding... I swear. [Good] [Wink]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.