Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
...or anyone else that I haven't met yet.

Oh, so I guess my being there would not tempt you. [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely like August for a time period. And that seems to rule out a Chicago con. Once we actually get a set date, we can then look for various things to do/see. I would say that people do not have to do everything that is planned. Some hang time should also be factored in.

I think it would be good for people to be in the same hotel. It makes meeting up and even just hanging out easier. But I would not make staying at the same hotel a requirement. I'd definitely be looking to share a room. If I can survive sharing a room with Exnihil, I can share a room with anybody. [Wink]

lancesrealm, I don't think we are limiting it to just men. We do have a tentative from Fanfic Lady. Another thing to put out here is bringing significant others and/or kids. Although I have neither to bring with me, I think it is perfectly fine to have the significant others and/or kids to come along. I would say that it is especially true given that we won't be doing a con.

Lash, it does seem that Chicago has a couple of comic book shops http://chicago.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-comic-book-shops-in-chicago/

Because of my finances and employment situation (unemployed), I can't commit at this time. Once I do get a job, I should be able to be there. And despite being shy and feeling a little awkward in social situations, I want to be there.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
You were just fine when you met that bald guy at the airport.

Hope you can make it. Not enough time to hang out last time.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calm Yo Tits
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calm Yo Tits           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
I fall into the "interested but not committed" category, and timing is almost not an issue for me.

I think Kent suggested I meet Cobie and Rhino. I believe Rhino's in Jersey, but have no idea where Cobie is.

Qurrrrl!!!! Forget those hoes... you need to meet ME!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Anyway... my uncertainty issue is over and dealt with. Barring anything unforeseeable, I am definitely in! There is a chance late August would be better than early August, but it might be okay either way.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, to recap the discussed possible dates (and add some additional info I found out about August 2013 in Chicago):

- I feel like some good points have been made to take Labor Day weekend out of contention (8/31-9/2), leaving us the following weekends (buffered on either side dependent on individual needs):

8/3 - 8/4
8/10 - 8/11
8/17 - 8/18
8/24 - 8/25

- Two other things to note (as folks have expressed concern about premium hotel rates/availability/crowds during large events):

The 8/3 weekend is the same weekend as Lollapalooza - which is in Grant Park, about 20 miles south, but I would imagine there is a lot of lodging overflow...

...and the 8/10 weekend is the Wizard World Comic Convention (I didn't even know that was still a thing!) I believe general sentiment was to avoid comic conventions, but feel free to speak up if you feel differently.

So, if folks agree that the above two weekends are also unadvisable, it looks as though the universe might be helping us along to decide the date, leaving us with either the weekend of 8/17 or 8/24.

I don't know if you guys would like to "poll" the options, or if you'd like to just suss it out through discussion here.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Suss first, poll later. That way people can vote based on considerations others bring up that they might not have thought of themselves yet.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

ditto what Shiny said.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, then... get to sussin', youse! [Wink]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
The idea of discussion before votes may be my biggest contribution, I don't really have any long-term conflicts or concerns to bring up at this point. I don't have family to spend holiday weekends with and I work for myself so timing isn't generally a problem.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I should be good for any of those, so no suss or sass from me.

Though I'm not necessarily opposed to a con, Wizard World is a ways north of the city, and if there aren't enough people with cars, it would be difficult to enjoy Chicago proper.

And as we think blocks of hotel rooms and whatnot, I'd suggest throwing Friday night in if trying to get a group rate. I know I'd probably try to come in Friday so I could have all day Saturday to hang out with youse guys.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

I'd definitely want to spend at least two nights, if only because I wouldn't want to fly two days in a row. If it's worth traveling that far, then it's worth staying more than 48 hours.

However that could be a subgroup that those of us coming a tad early can arrange.

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

rather than hotels, consider: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p235477

among 10 people, that's $37 .50 a night. if we have more than 10 (as we hopefully will), they have other units for rent in the same building.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Wow, if that's anywhere near where we'd want to be, that's a good price. Unless Chicago's just way cheaper that I thought.
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

While I'm in this thread I might as well also mention how I feel about comic cons. Which is "eh".

I think it's a fine idea for this group to meet at a comic con, but the con would more likely be the focus rather than the group. Anyone who wants to be at a comic con at all wants to do many of the things on the program there, and I imagine it's hard to do both that and spending any significant time with a group.

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.