Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » first time post from chris batista (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: first time post from chris batista
Chris Batista
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Batista   Email Chris Batista         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks will a hell of a lot Stealth. DnA will also appreciate your comments. We would have loved to have done the Death of the New Gods ourselves, unfortunately no one was asking. Sad part is that due to my Robin commitment I could only do half of the 3rd issue with layouts for the rest of the issue. It was really annoying but there was no other option. I can always say that I indeed did get to draw the New Gods. Not enough Mr Miracle and Barda unfortunately. Hope you enjoy the last issue. DnA did a great job on it!
Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Chris! Great to see you're still around these parts!

I was just in Cosmic Comics yesterday and they were plugging your latest issue of Superman Confidential so even though I'm not much of a Superman reader, I took a look...

WOW! I think it's some of the best work I've ever seen from you. I think that is one of, if not THE best interpretations I've seen of the New Gods characters since Kirby created them.

They're famous for being tricky characters to draw with their complex and intricate costumes but you just have them down! I've never been much of a New Gods fan either but seeing you draw them here makes me sad that with their upcoming death, I might never get to see you draw them again.

Best of luck on Robin!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Batista   Email Chris Batista         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the shoutout Blacula! That has to be one of the best compliments regarding my work. I really tried to be true to Kirby but not draw in his style. Their impending deaths made it essential to draw this story, otherwise I might never get a shot at them. I'm such a fan, I turned down a much higher profile book at DC to get to draw these characters. I'm sad to see them go but my good man J.G.Jones will be bringing his amazing touch to the New Gods with Grant Morrison. J.G. is a huge kirby fan and I know he's gonna kick ass on it. I hope you dig what I'm doing on Robin!
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Chris. My pleasure. I just calls it like I see it.

I also love the fact that you turned down a higher profile gig so that you could give these characters one last hurrah. It's great to see creators being as passionate about these paper and pencil beings as we are! And it's totally the type of thing I would've done too. If I was a talented artist and all. /wistfully [Wink]

I wasn't too excited by the hints of the new New Gods we saw in Morrison's 'Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle' series but if you say they're good and that he's working with the excellent J.G. Jones on them now then I'll definitely check them out.

I'm sure I will like what you're doing on Robin and I bet I won't be the only one too. I predict a big rise in sales for you and Chuck's first issue. Especially if this hint about Spoiler coming back is true...

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Thanks again Blacula. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, Chris. A couple weeks ago I bought a copy of Superman Confidential # 8, which I missed first time round, and today I read Superman # 10. I'm looking forward tomorrow to read all three issues in one sitting, because I love this story. Not only were Superman and the New Gods written and drawn perfectly, so were Superman's supporting cast. Once again, kudos to you and to DnA.

While it is regrettable that you were only able to do layouts for the second half on # 10, the way you drew Darkseid in # 8 was awe-inspiring. It seems to me that you are one of the few artists who understands that it's not enough for Darkseid to be imposing -- he also has to be revolting! Kirby would have been proud.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Once again, thanks a hell of a lot. One of the niceest compliments I've ever received. I really regret not be able to finish the whole issue but am really starting to enjoy Robin.
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Chris on the New Gods?! I gotta get that! Ever since I saw his New Gods clones in the DnA Legion story I always wanted to see more.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, picked up Robin #170 today. Nice, very nice. Tim definitely looks like he is 17. It was great seeing Ives again, a bit abrupt, but I think you definitely nailed Ives' look. Oh, and you Batman is sweet.

The action scenes were very crisp and easy to follow, I felt you got a lot of expressions out of the characters' faces as well so kudos for that.

Oh, and I really liked the few times you had the character fully blacked out and then colored in the gold on their uniform (once with Officer Harper where her badge and belt buckle were colored and once with Robin). Was that your idea because I really liked the effect?

Really enjoyed this issue Chris, I'm really happy that your the artist for this book because I've been collecting this book since issue #18 and its always a joy to have another wonderful artist on the book.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Robin should definetly look 17. I feel that at times he's made to look a little too young and skinny. Batman is fun to draw but I tend to find him a bit intimidating. I'm never quite satisfied with my portrayal of him but I'm getting there.I'm glad the expressions are making a connection, I really bust my ass in that department. The fully blacked out effect is a great timesaver when you're up against the wall. Done well no one should notice the shortcut. I feel like I'm starting to hit a groove on Robin right now, and I think you'll like what's coming up. You made my day stephbarton, thanks for taking the time to post. Legionworld rules!
PenaltyKillah
Out of Continuity!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenaltyKillah   Author's Homepage   Email PenaltyKillah         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Chris, I appreciated you not drawing the Legion like Muppets! Very few artists in the industry know how to draw teens, and you're one of them. And since Robin's around seventeen, that makes my age approximations of the DCU are a bit more accurate. Makes sense, since Dick started as Robin when he was 12, and if he's now in his mid-twenties, that makes Tim a eligible retcon as a cameo in Detective Comics #38. Now, straight from the source... are his fellow Titan teammates around 17 too?

--------------------
"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.

From: Canadia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Chris, assuming you're still browsing occasionally, congrats on your new upcoming gig on Booster Gold with Giffen and DeMatteis! SO looking forward to it! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Chris, I loved your renditions of Achilles and Mysia in the most recent issue of WONDER WOMAN!

What are you doing next? You pop up unexpectedly. It's kind of a nice delight.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

It's been a long time legion worlders....just wanted to say hi. I just finished my last issue of Booster Gold which happens to guess star a bunch of characters I have been begging to use since my first issue. I got to draw the Legion baby! We would have loved to extend it to 2 isues but it was our last issue and we could only do so much. I hope you guys give it a peek.....
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Cannot wait to see that!!!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.