Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread, Pt. 3 (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread, Pt. 3
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Gosh. Considering I've never read a comic with Daredevil in it before, that was a lucky guess.

I'm trying to remember back to that Ben Affleck movie to recall the name of one of his supporting characters....

Happy Hogan? I think that was one of them.

quote:
Originally posted by Xben:
That sounds a bit like Karen Page from the "Born Again" story, but I didn't think she was a childhood friend.

I was neither Happy Hogan nor Karen Page. And since Happy Hogan and Foggy Nelson were played by the same guy (John Favreau), I can see how you were confused! [LOL]

It wasn't Foggy, either. [Smile]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:
Originally posted by Xben:
That sounds a bit like Karen Page from the "Born Again" story, but I didn't think she was a childhood friend.

And I don't think Karen is a "him"
And, yes, Karen Page (who, like the actual character I'm looking for, is no longer amongst the living) was indeed a woman. I'm definitely loking for a guy in this answer! [Smile]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

To repost the original question...

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
There once was an "underboss" who used a very key piece of information he got from a childhood friend in an attempt to ascend to a higher position in the criminal underworld. When that ultimately failed, he used the info to buy the FBI's protection. Let's just say that didn't work out for him in the end.

What was the piece of info, and which character originating in the late Silver Age was the childhood friend?

So we now know that the info was Daredevil's secret identity. (Psst! He's Matt Murdock!)

As for the character in question, it's neither Happy Hogan, Foggy Nelson nor Karen Page. And I have revealed that the character in question is deceased (though he wasn't when the storyline began).

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it Ben Urich?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Is it Ben Urich?

Nope, but that's an excellent, informed guess! Ben's known who Daredevil is for quite some time, after all. But it wasn't Ben, and he's still alive.

So for another hint, think of other characters who've known DD's identity, and then think of characters close to them!

[ September 10, 2012, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Another hint: This character first appeared in the Amazing Spider-Man, as did his father.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Harry Osborn?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Harry Osborn?

Nope! Good guess, though.

--------------------

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Richard Fisk, and his father the Kingpin, first appeared in Spider-Man, so that was my guess, because he even has a childhood friend, Sammy Silke. The problem was Sammy wan't a late silver age character. Plus the rest of the question didn't quite apply.

Finally I realized you're talking about Sammy, and Richard was the late silver age character who was the childhood friend in the question. In which case the piece of info was perhaps more accurately not just Spidey's ID, but the fact that Kingpin had known it for so long.

I don't recall him trying to buy the FBI's protection, but I doubt there's many other characters who fit the rest of the bill.

And no, it certainly didn't end well for him.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Correct! I was beginning to think I'd have to give initials and still wouldn't get the answer I was looking for! [Big Grin]

I reread the question, and it seems pretty clear what info I wanted. I can see how it would be misleading if you focus too much on the "underboss" part that begins it.

Sammy Silke was the "underboss" (in fact that was the title of the storyline that featured Silke and DD being outed prominently, which I put in quotes as a clue), but I really wanted to figure out how to ask a question about Richard Fisk in a way that was challenging because he was never exactly a marquee character but still fairly significant.

I could have asked something like, "What was the name of the Rose?", but I figured that was a simple Wikipedia search.

Sammy Silke used the info to secure FBI protection after he and Richard attempted a coup against Wilson Fisk/the Kingpin. This was not good enough to save him from the Kingpin's wrath, as Wilson personally found and killed Silke.

Richard was murdered around the same time by his own mother Vanessa Fisk who was fed up with Richard's frequent habit of turning against his father. (Vanessa herself died during Brubaker's run as the guilt of mudering Richard took a physical toll.) One of the most memorable eras of his rebellion was when Richard masqueraded as a rival mob boss called the Rose.

This is from the Bendis/Maleev run on Daredevil. In fact, it began with that arc, and imo, it's still the best part of their run. The consequences of DD's outing remain today, though Matt Murdock has worked hard to build up some degree of doubt in the public eye ever since. I applaud that it's never been ret-conned, magically erased or any of the other crap the Big two usually do to erase significant events!

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

So...yer up, Shiny! [Smile]

--------------------

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a golden-age character that was reinterpreted by a different company about 3 or 4 years ago for, alas, only a few issues. What are the exact recent and golden age names for this spiky and diabolically-named hero's title?

If you can't get the exact recent name of the title, I'll settle for naming who crowded out the original from his own series.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going to guess the original Daredevil is the character in question? Not sure what his new title might be. Just Devil maybe?

Not sure wo might have crowded him out of his title either. Captain Marvel?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Close on the first part, but I'm going to be VERY picky on getting it exact. No Captain Marvel had anything to do with him AFAIK.
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

It was Daredevil. Don't know the name of the revamped series. He was crowded out of his original series by the Little Wise Guys.

--------------------

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.