Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The All Spider-Man thread! (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The All Spider-Man thread!
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Does that make any sense?

Sure - you're trying very hard to say "Hobgoblin I is a completely personality-less cypher with no distinctive features not covered better by other characters, but I like him anyway" while trying not to admit to things like "completely personality-less cypher". [Razz]

quote:
PS - any post where Reboot must relunctantly plays devil's advocate for Dan Slott makes my day. [Wink]

This is one occasion where I'm glad you're unable to spell/implement grammar correctly!

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, in those Stern and DeFalco stories, the Hobgoblin had a very clear personality, and had more characterization than either Kingsley or Fisk (not as much as Ned of course who had a good 15 years of appearances prior).

So in my mind, the original Hobgoblin is a more clearly defined character than Kingsley by a longshot. Richard Fisk has subsequently developed into something else all together.

It's that original Hobgoblin, whose thought bubbles we could read as he first became aware of the Goblin legacy, gradually grew into his role as Spidey's new nemisis and eventually succumbed to madness, that I really want to see.

Those stories gave him a distinct flavor that many super-villains lack and Macendale could never compare to.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
The latest restoration, I'm afraid, gets my vote for one of the WORST covers I'm putting up at the site. Not only is the art AND design awful, the dialogue makes the X-Men seem like bad guys...

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/x-men/MTU%20004.jpg

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I love how Scott is still such a square, dressed like he used to in the early 60's.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Review: Amazing Spider-Man #650

So when "Big Time" was launched, I decided this was the point where I'd give Spedey another go. My reservations about the BND era were that the series was published thrice-monthly and that the writers would change arc-to-arc, the latter of which spelled inconsistency to me. I was never all that riled up about the anullment of the marriage, but investing that much money in what was guaranteed to be a mixed bag meant I wasn't gonna risk it.

"Big Time" promised to address those issues with 1) One writer, Dan Slott (whose stuff I enjoyed on Mighty Avengers (sorry, Cobie [Smile] ), a reduction to a twice-monthly schedule & 3) though $3.99, each issue having extra pages to help justify the expense. Though not on my pull list, I resolved to give it a chance as I truly love the character and have missed getting my fix.

Well, so far, so good! 650 in particular shows the potential that this run under Slott has, having improved on the prior opening stories in 648 & 649. Nothing truly monumental occurs (the new costume on the cover is explained as Peter having it for pure functionality against the current threat he faces in the Hobgoblin), but the book simply reads the way a Spidey comic should! There's a sense of menace to the opponent, but the story moves breezily and there are heaping helpings of humor that make are LOL funny without turning Spidey into a goofy character.

What do I mean about the humor? Well, two things stick out:

1) There's a conversation between Peter, MJ and Carlie in which Dan decides to inject humorous parenthetical substitues in place of more boring explications. For example, Pete says to Carlie, "I've built a harmonic mesh based on Hank Pym's theory of <something MJ wouldn't understand>" And Carlie's reply works in kind and so on. Then MJ gets the last laugh by mentioning something about her work that Pete and Carlie wouldn't recognize.

It's something I wouldn't want to see overused, but I give Slott credit for making a boring expository conversation a real rib-tickler! Plus, who hasn't been a fifth wheel in a conversation between mutual acquaintances where you just kinda check out because you have zero interest or comprehension? Good stuff!

2) There's another scene where Pete has to find an inventive way to hide what he's been up to as Spidey from his new co-workers that's as inventive as it is hilarious! If Slott can be this fresh with humorous situations in this book, I'll be onboard for the duration!

Like Cobie, I'm not a huge fan of Humberto Ramos's exaggerated style. But I have to admit that it works here a lot more often than it doesn't. The facial expressions are mostly spot-on, for one thing. I'm not in love with his new Hobgoblin look, but I have to admit it's less derivative of the classic Green Goblin costume.

The biggest problem I had with his art this issue was the overly sexualized posing with the Black Cat and her scenes. I realize that she's sexy and meant to be so, but I don't think it has to be run to the ground with her contorted unnaturally to give us extra boobage. I dunno, I guess I just like the girl too much to see an artist's overboard attempt to show even more boobage when there's already plenty on display!

Like Cobie, I'd prefer that Slott hadn't killed off Roderick Kingsley. As other posters have pointed out, though, there are flaws in being fans of the Kingsley version when the original was never definitively Kingsley until Sterns Hobgoblin Lives mini. But I would have preferred some follow-up done with him once the mini was put out there. Instead Hobgoblin languished whil Norman Osborne was brought back to the forefront. And when Kingsley finally does get a chance to shine, he's killed off and replaced! Ugh! Anyway, that's my point of view. Like Cobie, I'd prefer that Slott pulled a bait-and-switch at some point, but I'm not optimistic.

In any case, this new Hobgoblin does have some potential. I don't know much about Phil Urich, so I can't opine too much about Slott's choice. I suspect that Slott did this because the old version's history was so convoluted and inconsistent that he felt it was better to start fresh with someone new under the mask. Whether that was the right decision, is up for debate, but I suspect this was Slott's reasoning. So far, my interest is picqued despite some disappointment as a fan of the classic Hobgoblin stories under Stern especially.

Like I said, so far, so good. As someone who loves Spider-Man but has been burned in the past, I'm cautiously optimistic that Spidey may once again have hit the "Big Time"!

Lardy's rating for Amazing Spider-Man #650: 4 Donuts (out of five)!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm glad you're reading and enjoying! Despite my vocal annoyance with the Hobgoblin-related plot twists, there has been a lot of good thus far. I'm looking forward to us both checking it out in coming months!

(And my favorite, Marcos Martin, is due for an arc soon on art chores).

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe Kingsley ISN'T really dead.

This IS Marvel, after all.

(Norman Osborn, anybody?)

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by profh0011:
Maybe Kingsley ISN'T really dead.

This IS Marvel, after all.

(Norman Osborn, anybody?)

Well, Kingsley's relatively obscure by comparison. (Only fairly hardcore Spidey nerds like us know who he is.) But that hasn't always prevented characters from being brought back in the past. We'll see...

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
Like Cobie, I'd prefer that Slott hadn't killed off Roderick Kingsley. As other posters have pointed out, though, there are flaws in being fans of the Kingsley version when the original was never definitively Kingsley until Sterns Hobgoblin Lives mini. But I would have preferred some follow-up done with him once the mini was put out there. Instead Hobgoblin languished whil Norman Osborne [sic] was brought back to the forefront. And when Kingsley finally does get a chance to shine, he's killed off and replaced! Ugh!

I suspect what happened there was that every other writer realised Stern had pulled a boner. Love him or hate him, Macandale filled a role in Spider-Man's rogues' gallery - he was The Mercenary, the one who fought for himself only to get more power to get more cash.

Kingsley on the other hand... was a poor man's Osborn, a watered-down clone - rich businessman puts on a Goblin suit, but without everything that makes Peter vs. Norman personal.

And Stern made him the Hobgobin again JUST AFTER OSBORN CAME BACK!

[And had him tank to Spider-Man without a fight (what happened to the flesh-melting blaster?). And left everything where Hobgoblin I, to use Cobalt's words, "grew into his role as Spidey's new nemisis and eventually succumbed to madness" as Ned, so there was just a fashion mogul with a hokey twin brother "twist" who hadn't shown up in any role for well over a decade because no writer saw him as worthwhile.]

What chance anyone would bother using Kingsley when they could use Norman, really?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You know, even though I applauded Roger coming back and 'cleaning up' the Hobgoblin Saga by having him as Kingsley, I still kind of always see Hobgoblin as Ned Leeds because that's how I always saw him as a kid when I reread those stories dozens of times. I see him as a very distinct personality that 'trumps' the Kingsley personality.

I can see your point, 'Boot, that by having the Hobgoblin Kingsley, and then having Norman Osborn back, Hobby inadvertantly became a lot more like the Green Goblin than ever before. (I personally think Norman should never have been brought back, or at least kept alive after the Clone Saga, but it is what it is now).

Regardless, he's still my all-time favorite Spider-Man villain. As I mentioned, if someone said "the Hobgoblin actually WAS Ned" or "the Hobgoblin wasn't Kinglsey after all but was ___", it wouldn't make him any less so; in fact, it could help the character for all I know.

Reboot

quote:
You know, even though I applauded Roger coming back and 'cleaning up' the Hobgoblin Saga by having him as Kingsley, I still kind of always see Hobgoblin as Ned Leeds because that's how I always saw him as a kid when I reread those stories dozens of times. I see him as a very distinct personality that 'trumps' the Kingsley personality.

Well most of the stories showing him with a distinct personality were left as Ned. Kingsley's pretty bland.

quote:
I can see your point, 'Boot, that by having the Hobgoblin Kingsley, and then having Norman Osborn back, Hobby inadvertantly became a lot more like the Green Goblin than ever before. (I personally think Norman should never have been brought back, or at least kept alive after the Clone Saga, but it is what it is now).

They were never going to keep Norman dead after PP:SM #75, like or loathe his return - it would have made no sense to go to the trouble of overturning his death and then kill him off again straight away. That really WOULD have been cheap (plus, the extended TPB version of PP:SM #75 even shows the Goblin pulling himself from the rubble).

And that alone should have been reason to spike Hobgoblin Lives - which, again, came after PP:SM #75. The Hobgoblin was concieved at a time when Norman was dead as a replacement - with the original back (and seeing some fairly good stories in the post-Clone Saga period, Jenkins' run, Ellis' Thunderbolts [remember his naked dictation?] & even, yes, Dark Reign), who the hell was going to want Norman-lite?

quote:
Regardless, he's still my all-time favorite Spider-Man villain. As I mentioned, if someone said "the Hobgoblin actually WAS Ned" or "the Hobgoblin wasn't Kinglsey after all but was ___", it wouldn't make him any less so; in fact, it could help the character for all I know.

Don't you think there's a problem there, since you're effectively saying the Hobgoblin is weakened by being Kingsley, not strengthened?

PS: Looks like Evil Phil is sticking around. Cheap Slott, cheap.

[Interesting how no-one remembers there was a non-Kingsley HG already running around, incidentally...]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Regarding Norman, even though his being alive in a way really lessens the character in mind as the premiere all-time great Spider-Man nemesis, I did enjoy the Jenkins stories post-Clone Saga quite a bit. And when I read them, I did think "well, this story at least kind of makes him being back worthwhile".

Since I've never really thought about how Hobby can exist in a Norman-living MU that much before, and you've made a lot of good points, I'm beginning to see how Hobby not being Kingsley might be a good thing (on the premise that he wasn't just recently killed which can be overturned in a heartbeat). But I definitely don't want him to be like Macendale, as a strait-up mercenary. He'd have to be different from both Norman & Macendale (which he originally was).

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I kind of wish that if Slott had gone with a new Hobgoblin that it would be made into a mystery again. That element really suited the character, even though it really got bollocksed up over time. But I think identity mystery is a big part of any goblin character, or at least the notion that whomever is under the mask is just as important.

One problem with the original is that many of the candidates weren't that compelling or logical or really integral in and of themselves beyond being suspects. Ned Leeds was a fairly major supporting character at the time, but I would put him in a second tier at best behind MJ, JJJ, Robbie, Betty, Flash, etc. But Ned was the only suspect who had something compelling in Pete's life. (Flash was never a serious candidate.) As I recall, Ned and Lance Bannon were always the prime suspects in fandom. Lance always seemed like a bonehead, but having a rival photog as a suspect was an interesting take.

So I don't like that we already know it's Phil. I also think that since Slott was making this apparent from the beginning that a little more background on Phil would've been appropriate. He's a fairly obscure character (as the heroic GG) from the early '90s. I know he was used in Runaways and a spin-off of it and may or may not have gotten some play in the BND era, but I'm pretty sure many readers jumping on would be a little lost. And learning more about why he's off the deep end is a must.

Still, I like the menace and persona of the current Hobgoblin himself so far. I just wish Slott had considered some build-up before revealing who it is.

[ January 28, 2011, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Chief Lardy ]

--------------------

profh0011
Applicant

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times can one series jump the shark, ANYWAY?

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by profh0011:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times can one series jump the shark, ANYWAY?

I would say Kingsley being killed off is controversial (at least to fans of Stern), but characterizing it as a "jump the shark" moment feels a little too extreme.

--------------------

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.