Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Got it...now I'm caught up...till Wednesday anyway.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
So, what did you think?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Great stuff. Kirkman has found a new groove on this book. I think a few little things have come from left field...like what happened with the twin boys, at least what the one did to the other. Not much forshadowing on that.

Looks like the next two issues are going to be nasty again...just like I like 'em. I like the fact that stuff happens in this book to the main characters.

Looking forward to the end of this arc, and to see what happens when they get to Washington.

Loved seeing the herd a few books back.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Wow. Finally got the ending to the Hunters storyline. There are no punches pulled with this book...at all.

What did everyone else think of the 5 issue storyline?

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Overall, I liked it, but for WD's first "numbered parts" storyline, I thought part five was more of an epilogue. Yes, plenty of umportant things happened in the final part but none of it really unexpected i.e. seemingly inevitable things did actually come to pass. In the end the threat wasn't as huge as the extensive teases preceding the storyline made it seem.

Don't get me wrong, though...a lot of important things came to pass, particularly in character development. Of course, it's been apparent for a while, that the group is becoming more and more hardcore with the lengths they'll go to to ensure their survival, so I wasn't all that surprised with what they did.

It will be interesting to see the longterm implications of that last page. I say 'longterm' because I doubt it'll get out any time soon. I imagine Andrea and Rick will have a big row with a potentially catastrophic outcome...

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
(notice I was posting Nonspoilese for the TPB folks [Big Grin] )

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Very nice spoiler free summary.

I do agree that this was more of an epilogue to the story. I totally hear what you're saying about the threat level...but the thing is, the way the leader of the Hunters acted was totally believable with what he was faced within the wake of what happened to him at the hands of Rick and Co.

The decisions made make sense all around for our weary band of travelers. And you're right about the last page. The inevitable confrontation should be gut wrenching, no matter the outcome.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm there with you guys on the 5th part.

This was the first time EVER I've felt any kind of vague dissatisfaction with TWD. The cliffhangers leading up to the 5th part were awesome, though.

Can't wait to see what's next!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Honestly, I think it would've worked much better without the arc title on the cover. If this were a normal 5-issue span with no extranormal promotion, it would've gone over fine with me. As Dev says, everything was well thought-out and consistent in this story, but the arc labelling, which has never been done before in the monthlies, created a certain expectation akin to the climax of the prison/Governor affair. I guess I was expecting more carnage! At the same time I'm glad we didn't suffer mass casualties, though--I don't think I was ready for that, yet!

I should add that the one loss to our cast was really well done. I liked the final conversation with Rick particularly. Said character had come off unlikeable recently, but Kirkman really brought the character full circle in the arc. I'll certainly miss him/her. and we should see some interesting developments with one character in particular in the aftermath.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Kirkman has also set up some interesting things with the the two characters that recently joined our group of travelers. One is obviously mentally unhinged...but is he dangerous. The other is obviously struggling with what he has done himself to survive, but now doesn't seem to be able to handle what the others feel is necessary to survive.

Both should play out interestingly.

Dev - Em
KIA

If this had been a regular issue number system, without the story arc numbering, Lardy is right. This issue would have come across much more surprising and brutal...especially after what happened with the prison arc.

We may not have expected the fight to continue on, but it very well may have, even if you consider that issue 66 would be a trade ending issue...so a horrific cliffhanger could have easily happened.

The tables are turned here in a certain way, with Rick and Co. taking the fight to them, instead of being the ones caught with their proverbial pants down.

Dev - Em
KIA

Issue 67 - Very nice segue issue. Rick and Carl have a long over-due heart to heart. Someone's secret is revealed...with some bad after effects, and the next big thing (beginning of a storyline here people) shows up on the last page.

More than worth my money every month. Amazing how a talky comic like this reads faster than an issue of most other comics. Also how it makes me want to reread it again and again.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Agreed. In its relatively short lifespan, I've reread this entire series 3 times, last month most recently.

It's been more than worth the money I have invested in it.

Anybody heard any AMC series updates??

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Nothing more than it has been optioned and is in the works for a pilot. Kirkman has said that he is optimistic this thime that the pilot will at least be made.

I think the story is very television accesable.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so I'm 8 issues shy of having every story in my collection so I can continue reading. I've got the first four trades and then began collecting single issues...but since I backtracked a bit, I'm missing 8 issues to bridge the gap between the trades and where I picked up the single issues. Today I spent the day driving around Southeastern Connecticut going to four different comic stores and getting back issues. I think I can probably grab two more this week, but dammit, I don't want to read all my issues until I can do it all the way through.

But I can't wait, because I then plan to read the entire series all the way through (so far I've read the first four trades, which is the equivalent of #1 - #24).

(Lardy asked me awhile ago so I wanted to post about it).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.