Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Issue 68 was good. It is the set up issue for the next phase in the lives of our ragged band of travelers. It will be interesting to see how they all actually react to what is ahead of them.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read 68 myself. Definitely good, but really all set-up for the next phase. I'm very curious to see where this leads and what kinds of new characters and conflicts this will lead to. I remember teases of this new direction coming out of this year's San Diego Comic Con coverage. If I'm remembering correctly, those teases confirm what the new guy is saying to merry (?) band of survivors. I'm hoping its not all leading to another Woodbury-style scenario. Heck, I have faith that Kirkman won't retread that kind of storyline with the devastating results of that epic's conclusion still fresh on our minds.

But this one's all set-up, like the first 15 minutes or so of an action or horror flick. If this new guy is genuine, the conflict may very well arise from whether our guys can play well with others after all they've been through.

P.S. Unless I'm totally dense about the interaction or am forgetting something we've already seen, TWD may have just debuted it's first gay couple!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Weren't there two gay inmates at the prison when they got there?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Like I said, I could be misremembering. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. I may have to research in order to determine exactly who they were and what exactly happened to them. The only two inmates I can remember clearly are Axel and the serial killer guy. There were at least 2 or 3 others.

But in any case, I wasn't imagining things in 68, was I?

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

From what I saw...you were not imagining things at all. But time will tell for sure. They may be the first regular gay couple in this comic.

I think one of the prisoners died, maybe killed by Rick, and the other ran off into the zombie infested world at large. I believe Kirkman himself said that he was eventually bitten and became a zombie...in fact a zombie bust of him was released at some point.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely 'read' those 2 in 68 as gay.

And the first 2 gay guys were the other 2 of the 4 inmates-- both African-American, one was named Dewayne iirc. The other was the badass that Rick shot covertly. His 'gayness' was implied to be more like prison convienince gayness. Dewayne was def. in love with him.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Well, this would be our first non-"prison gay" couple, then! [Smile]

Heck, I'm just excited we'll get to meet some more new characters. While I don't think Kirkman has to be politically correct, some Asians and some elderly would be nice in addition to our now-confirmed gay couple. Mostly I'm just excited to see how new characters and their dynamics will play off our beloved rag-tag crew.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Andrew and Dexter were their names. Just checked the Kirkman page. Dexter was the badass that Andrew fell in love with.

Also found a link to the bust of Andrew:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=CSM10011&mode=retail&picture=out

Dev - Em
KIA

Also, based on coming covers, I am really interested to see how Carl will adjust to a Happy go lucky life in a safe zone.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah, I remember them more clearly now. Gotta admit; they didn't hang out long enough or get enough "screen time" to make a huge impression on me. Hopefully, the new couple will make up for that.

I dunno, remembering the prison sure makes me miss [name withheld for Cobie's and others, but Cobie's especially [Razz] , sakes] who was brutally killed by the Governor before all the shit really hit the fan. To date, that's still my very favorite character in the series to date, the loss of whom still stings. I can't imagine how much more it must have hurt for those who read the series on a monthly basis at the time. (I read trades thru 48)

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Where the HELL did the name 'Dewayne' come from...??? Sorry 'bout that.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

And yeah, Lardy, that death was VERY hard on me (I started monthly at no. 35). That whole storyline was rough. Its still rough upon subsequent rereads.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Where the HELL did the name 'Dewayne' come from...??? Sorry 'bout that.

Hi, hi, hi. What's Happenin' Rog?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
And yeah, Lardy, that death was VERY hard on me (I started monthly at no. 35). That whole storyline was rough. Its still rough upon subsequent rereads.

And yet, I'm glad Kirkman went there despite everything, y'know? It showed us that literally noone is safe in the most painful way imaginable. If a book like this can retain the street cred it's built, we have to believe anything can happen. That said, you still gotta wonder if this title has two untouchable characters, despite what Kirkman has said. Don't get me wrong, it's hard to imagine it without them, but it's something I ponder while I'm pondering my ponderous ponderings anyway. One of those two I don't think I could bear to lose.

Still miss that other character, though...

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

I think there is one untouchable...at least for quite a while. Just my gut feeling. =
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.