Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll go back and reread this thread when I get up to date so as to avoid all spoilers. Thus far I've been able to never actually be spoiled on this title and that has paid off in dividends.

As an update on my last post, I've now completed my Walking Dead collection and am reading chunks of 12-15 issues in between other comics during Comic Book Review month. I just reread #18-24 and then read #24-37 for the first time over the last two days.

Note, below I have several spoilers:

Wow. I forgot how excellent this comic is. And how brutal and terrifying.

The scariest thing by far of the entire series thus far has been Woodbury and the Governer. That was some brutal, terrifying stuff. My heart ached for Michonne in a way it hasn't in a long time. I hate, hate seeing rape in superhero comics but here in the Walking Dead that type of situation and subsequent analysis and commentary fits. Rape has always been the hardest thing for me to see in art; in college a friend of mine experienced that and it always stuck with me--I also learned (and at the time was shocked) that at least two other friends of mine (people I'm *really* close to) had already had those experiences prior to college. It was disheartening then and still is now. So it was horrific to see that happen to her. Kirkman did not pull any punches and he shouldn't have--and when the subseqent revenge issue happened I couldn't put it down. He showed me a dark side of myself I have always tried to avoid but acknowledge was there. When I couldn't pull away from the pages, I cheered her on; despite being overwhelmed by the violence I thought to myself when it was almost over "not yet; take that spoon and rip out his mother-fucking eyeball". I wanted that revenge as much as she did. It was awful to see and yet I'm glad he went there. And afterwards I felt guilty for thinking that--which is what Kirkman's purpose was I think. I actually suspect Kirkman had little control over the script in that issue and it probably kept him up all night after writing it. It just seemed to be like that.

Of course, there was more than just that in these issues but that storyline was the most prominent in my mind. Rick having his hand chopped off was horrific. It wasn't actually that huge a shock but the execution artwise was what made it so. Adlard just brings so much to this series: his facial depictions are his strongest tool, IMO, but he also can just show so much savagery in his pages. I hope this series makes him super-rich.

I found my heart sink when we saw the prison overrun with Walking Dead, and then I felt tremendous relief when they were all still alive. Some are my favorites, like Tyrese and Andrea; some like Herschel have really grown on me. I also like Axel quite a lot. And I know a lot of them won't be safe. I already am expecting the absolute worst for Rick's wife and unborn baby and have been preparing for it for some time.

I felt my heart just ache for Glenn when he was captured and because in a way he was a bit cowardly. It was completely justifiable and I felt so bad for him because I know that will haunt him in the future. On the other hand, I thought the wedding ceremony with Maggie was very sweet.

Of course the ongoing threat of the zombies is an ever-present, low level terror, and of course, the very best part of the series is the way in which the characters continue to react to the 'new world' and that ongoing ever-present terror. Kirkman's analysis of this type of world is very comparable to Stephen King's The Stand and how people deal with things. The sense that so many people just want to be "taken care of", particularly the women who are mothers with children present, is so very realistic. Carol is the character that shows this the best I can't help but feel very empathic towards her--I want her to be okay and be taken care of. Her story should be fascinating to see as time goes on in future issues.

I'm so glad to be hooked again and the way I'm plowing through issues, I'll likely get caught up quickly, even with taking breaks to continue reading and reviewing other series. I'm so glad I have over 30 issues to go.

I'm also glad to have the single issues now: the letters pages are fascinating. Reading people's reactions to what happened first to Michonne and then to the Governer has been fascinating and at times as rough as actually reading those issues. Kirkman really took a lot of heat! Kudos to him for actually addressing it--I feel if I was him, I might have gone the route of not addressing the reader's concerns at all.

[ January 10, 2010, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Glad you are really enjoying things Cobie. I almost envy you reading these issues for the first time. I've thought about letting a few issues build up here and there, but can never quite get past wanting to read the new issues NOW!

Wow. Soo much has happened in this book. Gonna have to go back and reread them myself.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Read up to #50 last night, including "No One is Safe". Just devastating. Wow. I was speechless.

The follow-up issues with Rick and Carl were an excellent follow-up and I felt more for Carl than any other child in a comic ever before.

But "No One is Safe"...I just don't have the words. Just an excellent read. But it wasn't easy on the reader.

TWD I believe has officially entered my "Top 5 Best Comics" list.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
That Kirkman writes powerful stuff.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I finished the Walking Dead and am now completely caught up. Wow.

From this point forward I'll be following on a monthly basis so I'll have comments month in and month out. These latest issues (when read all in a row) really seem to be taking the title to a new place and that's great--the series just continues to stay fresh.

My absolute favorites besides Rick are Michonne and Andrea so I just hope nothing happens to them. I basically like most of the other characters or at least find them intersting enough to want to keep reading (i.e. Duane).

I'm loving how dynamic of a character Carl has become in the last year. He's a very intense character that I feel is actually relatable despite being a young boy--that's quite an accomplishment by Kirkman. I do think he had to kill Ben; it just had to be done. It was brutal but I understand--and I'm surprised at myself for thinking that way. Kirkman at his finest.

Dev - Em
KIA

This book cannot come out fast enough. I still need the issue that came outlast week, but having seen the covers for THE WALKING DEAD #71 and THE WALKING DEAD #72, I cannot wait for those to hit.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
This book cannot come out fast enough. I still need the issue that came outlast week, but having seen the covers for THE WALKING DEAD #71 and THE WALKING DEAD #72, I cannot wait for those to hit.

Actually, TWD hasn't hit yet this month. Image's website says it's out next week. I guess 2010 got Kirkman off the "On time in '09" kick real quick! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

AMC has approved TWD Pilot.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24502

Dev - Em
KIA

Issue #69 was good. More set up as to the new situation and characters being introduced to the book. We do get to see some zombies again this month, as more than just background dressing here.

It's going to be interesting to see where Kirkman takes this. I think that regular readers of this book are constantly waiting for the twist of the plot with any new characters that are introduced.

Lardi - Kirkman addresses this issue being late in the letters. Something about the holiday messing with the schedule. We'll see...

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
GREAT news about the pilot. I haven't been so excited about a TV series in YEARS, if ever! And I have no doubts we will see that series.

69 was interesting. I had a little trouble following the action during the zombie melee. The suburb thing looks to be the start of something that could go either way. I'd like to see some Wisteria Lane-type mysteries and stuff before the other shoe drops.

DON'T want to see a repeat of Mayor's town or the Prison here. But surely something is fishy.

The next issue cover was really different for this book, with all the kids running around.

I'm definitely curious about this place!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

WOOOO!!!!!

It starts filming in May!!

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=24797

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I just re-read the entire series, excluding #69 which hasn't been shipped to me yet.
The story is intense on a monthly basis, but read as a whole it is even moreso.
Incredible tale by Kirkman and crew.
I'm looking forward to where the story goes from here and am expecting more heartache to come. But that is part of the beauty of this story, Kirkman makes you actually care about these people, which is more than I can say for a lot of titles these days.

I'm also pumped up for the series to hit TV, I hope the pilot goes well!

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
#69 just got delivered a yesterday.
Hmm..things are looking up for our little band of survivors. However I doubt it will last.
I expect we see some "smaller" stories for bit, mostly dealing with how happy they are in their new home. Then Issue #75 comes along (which kirkman stated he has big plans for) and everything will go to hell again.

If everything in the new community is as it seems (and i doubt it) I think Rick will have a difficult time fitting in after everything he has done to this point. That stuff has to change a man.

Looking forward to #70 and beyond!

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

#70 was very good. Set up for the new status quo. I have a feeling that something will happen...but it's not going to be something by one of the townies. I think that Rick or one of his crew snaps.
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

I'm going to be waiting for #70 for a while, I have my shipping setup to only send when it reachs $100 to save on shipping costs, usually takes about 1 1/2 months.
I'm going to have to avoid this thread for a while so I don't get spoiled!

This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.