Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies (Page 28)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  33  34  35   
Author Topic: The Walking Dead Army - Recruiting New Zombies
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
So... I haven't been posting much at Legion World lately.

One reason - I find this site, and its reminders of a universe of stories and characters I used to enjoy until Dan Didio and the other losers on DC editorial began their years long quest to destroy everything I used to like about them, kinda depressing.

And since the news of the DCnU relaunch was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me, causing me to drop every monthly comic I had been buying and wash my hands of the hobby, that leaves me without much to talk about in the LoSH or Dr Gym'll's - the forums I previously participated in the most.

But since I still buy The Walking Dead in TPB, I guess that leaves me one thread I can participate in every six months.

So here's my review of TWD TPB #14, covering issues #79-84.

* First things first, I'm gonna talk about the big event at the end of the book - what happened to Carl. I absolutely HATE the character of Carl, not only because of where Kirkman has taken him, but because of what he represents - that one character in this whole universe who feels completely unkillable to me. I just do not think Kirkman has the cojones to off this character - and knowing that just makes me want to see him killed all the more. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that double-page spread! And then my disappointment a page later when I realised he wasn't instantly killed. And those first few seconds of survival were all I needed to know that, once again, Wonder Boy Carl would make it out of another TPB alive, despite an injury that for all intents and purposes looks like it should be fatal. Especially only a few issues after...

* Morgan's death. Carl seems to lose half his skull and brain and survives and yet my favourite character of the ones remaining, Morgan, loses an arm and dies?!? That's just frakkin' annoying. I really liked Morgan and feel that Kirkman treated him pretty crappily since his re-introduction. It's annoying that he never got to do much of anything and then had such a lame death.

* All in all, I thought this was a pretty enjoyable bunch of issues though and, despite my mis-givings about a few of the choices Kirkman makes, I'm still very much into this series.

* Michonne has definitely grown on me. These last two TPBs have done wonders in fleshing out her character. I can honestly say I like her now.

* Andrea is still a fave and I am SOOOOOOOOO ready to see Rick (and Carl!) killed off so she can take over as our main POV character. She is so ready for it IMO and it would show that Kirkman has true guts as a writer if he were to do it. Damn, that would make for a great issue #100 surprise!

* Is Rosita EVER going to do anything? It feels like she's been in the book for about 25 issue and has barely said two sentences. I hate the way Kirkman introduces seemingly main characters and then just has them hang around in the background until they get killed (Ben, Billy, Axel, Patricia, etc.). Do something with more than just the same-old 4 or 5 Kirkman!

* Charlie Adlard's art is so, so good. It took me 13 TPBs but I think I can finally say I'm not missing Tony Moore anymore.

* I fully expected the Community to be destroyed in this TPB and our heroes on the road again by the end of it. Pleasantly surprised to see that wasn't the case. The Community seems a very important link to their old way-of-life and I'm happy to see the characters fighting to hold onto it. That said, I hope they're on the road again by issue #100. I want to see them get to a boat and head for another country. It seems strange to me that no one has raised the possibility that this zombie-plague may just be confined to the US.

That's all I can think of for now. See you all in another few months.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe we'll see you in October when Season 2 of the TV show starts up...???

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Hola. Yes, I'll probably be back here discussing The Walking Dead show, and whatever other shows or comics (non-DCU) that tickle my fancy once my blood-lust for Didio, Berganza, et al has died down.

I just hope it improves in its second season because I think I'm on record in that thread as believing that the final episode of the first season was one of the worst written/most disappointing hours of television I saw all last year.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Read 86, 87 and 88 in one fell swoop.

I can accept the fate of Carl at this point. It is what it is, and seems to have pushed Rick flailing and screaming back towards the edge as he deals with what happens. His comments about leaving the walls to search for food instead of what others think he should be doing is interesting, as is his situation when found alone on said trip 'into town.'

The return of the story angle from the post prison issues is ill boding as well. As is the attitude of several of the old time townies.

Kirkman set up a lot to go with the next several months to get us to another big point.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
#88 is another example of the exceptional writing that this series has a reputation for. In the aftermath of fears that Carl was shot for the graphic shock value of the death of a main character, instead we get a complicated and very human story. Carl is not dead. He is not in a catatonic state. The good news of his recovery is tempered by painful choices and a spotty memory that may be a mixed blessing. Rick's choices are outrageous and questionable, while simultaneously being totally understandable. All this while a new threat looms. Intense stuff.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read # 88 last night and found it to be less than enjoyable as usual. I realize it's marking time and setting up later events, but for me to come away less-than thrilled from any issue is unusual... it's only happened once or twice before that I can remember.

I'm sure I will feel differently about the issue once I read it en masse with the rest, as I plan to do sometime soon.

Still not sure how I feel about Carl's miraculous recovery...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up the Covers Hard Cover book at the Borders going out of business sale.

Nice book, and nice to have all the covers finally. Having the trades, which do not have the covers in them (which sucks), of the first several arcs...I did not have the covers. This is a nice way to get them, along with the thoughts of the Cover artists, Adlard and Moore, along with Kirkman's random musings on them as well.

Also nice to see variations on some of the covers, and really rough sketch concepts by Kirkman and the others.

The $25 price tag put me off of this initially, but getting it for under $10 was more than worth it, and probably convinced me to grab the next edition when it comes out.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Great find, Dev. Congrats!

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Unlike Lash, I enjoyed Walking Dead #88 quite a bit! I like how Kirkman is exploring the community after the disaster of "No Way Out". Rick's reaction to Carl's situation is very interesting. I'm curious to see where this goes. Also, with the seeds of a revolt going on, I wonder if we're heading for an EXPLOSIVE issue 100? Time will tell!

Definitely the one book I most look forward to every month!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
#$%#^%$#@!! I'm only on Book 5 of the TPBs, and made the mistake yesterday of jumping on a Wiki to remind me of something about Tyreese's backstory, and was treated to an image of

Click Here For A Spoilerhim getting executed by the Governor.

Curse my stupidity for not being wary of the interweb.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I avoid anywhere I even SUSPECT of possible spoilers... usually even this very thread, though Legion Worlders are truly some of the most circumspect and respectful posters.(SEE: your use of the spoiler tag above) [Wink] I'm up to the sixth HC myself, with the seventh on its way with my next EOM shipment. But even some of the "non-spoilery" comments have me wanting to cheat myself and get up-to-date... must be strong, must be strong... [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
There's NO WAY I could trade-wait on TWD! [No]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

btw, I've got the prose novel "Rise of the Governor" on order from Amazon. It'll ship with LSH's "The Curse"! Looking forward to both! [Yes]

--------------------

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I *do* want to get that... [Yes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.