Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Current Pull List (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: The Current Pull List
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Dev, I know you love AmVamp, so you should really be checking out Snyder's other books! His run on Detective (soon to transfer over to DCnU Batman) has been EFFIN' AWESOME! He's also got a book with Image beginning next week called Severed which looks to have a horror bent to it like AmVamp. I'm also planning to pick up Swamp Thing just because he's writing it.

Also...I assume it's non-listing is an oversight, but you ARE getting the AmVamp: Survival of the Fittest mini, right?

If Snyder keeps this quality up, he may earn fave writer status with this poster! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Have not actually bought that (AV:SotF), but yeah, it's in the pull box.

I will probably get his Severed. Enjoying Detective, but with one issue to go, I left it off. Who knows on the others...I may break down and grab them when I see them...but I am planning on skipping most of the DCnU.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Severed actually seems very cool, more psychological horror than gore.

I accidentally bought the AmVamp spin off mini #2 twice--so if someone wants a copy let me know! I did the same with Cinderella #3. I need to move closer to my CBS so I can go more often.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I get what you mean on not bothering to wrap up some DC series before the #1's. I did the same with Zatanna and JSA.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I know the DCnU is turning you off, Dev, but I can't see how it would stop you from picking up Snyder's Batman, at least, since you're enjoying 'Tec. (If Swamp Thing ain't yer bag, I can see that one.)

So...are you two really elevating Marvel above DC lately? REALLY?!? True, just as with DC, there are quality Marvel books to be found, but don't forget you're paying that extra buck for many of the ones that are worth getting. I'm trade-waiting the new Cap run for that very reason, plus I'm skeptical that with McNiven on art that the book will ship in a timely manner or without subpar guest artists.

IMO, I'd put Marvel and DC about on the same level of quality but give DC the edge because of the price point and the comparative number of books I find *excellent* rather than *very good.* (Yes, I include the Vertigo books, there.)

Of course, Image and Dynamite kick both Marvel's and DC's asses on a regular basis.... [Yes]

[ July 29, 2011, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I get what you mean on not bothering to wrap up some DC series before the #1's. I did the same with Zatanna and JSA.

I've done the same with a few--the post-Gail Simone BoP and the remaining Xombis leap to mind--but I wouldn't dare miss the last few issues of Batgirl and Secret Six among others.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Also, I know another advantage in Marvel's favor at the moment is the backlash to the DCnU thing. I'd say to this two things:

1) Don't pre-judge and overreact too much before even reading any of it.

&

2) Don't ever assume Marvel won't ever try the same stunt! Marvel said they wouldn't do OGNs, but they saw the success of Superman: Earth One and are doing they're own similar concept now. They're already constantly relaunching their big books as new number ones. If DCnU's model succeeds, I betcha Marvel follows suit.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Fair points...although I am reacting to facts about certain characters that have turned me off. I
m also sure that they think they have certain things figured out, but the 5 year timeline they are using makes no sense in some of the histories that they are keeping. I have to make a point somehow, and the only way I can make it is to not spend the money that I was going to.

As far as Marvel goes. I am trying out two new books right now. Daredevil and Cap. That's it. Daredevil was a fun read, and Cap was good as well...plus I want to get my wife reading something and she loved the Cap movie, so this is the perfect book. I think Marvel is going to look at all aspects of what DC is doing, and weigh the pros/cons and gauge fan reaction. They do do the renumbering thing all the time (which I have brought up before) so that does not surprise me. I would be surprised if they tried to pull the exact same thing, as they already rebooted their entire line with the Ultimate universe before...with mixed success over time.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

IMO I'd say Marvel has the slight edge right now but it's kind of splitting hairs since both companies make the same annoying editorial and corporate mistakes. My reasoning is kind of the same: I think Marvel right now just has more excellent comics out than DC.

Both do have a lot of crap though. Likewise, each has their own selection of really good stuff. FYI, I do not consider Vertigo to be DC because Didio, Lee and Johns have (thankfully) nothing to do with it; likewise, I don't consider Icon to be Marvel. Both have superb creator-owned comics.

Like you, what really brings me enjoyment these days is the plethora of excellet creator-owned comics by Image and elsewhere. There are so many fantastic comics out there that I can't get enough. Additionally (as you also mention), Dynamite really knows how to produce some mind-blowing good licensed comics (and IDW sometimes too).

Back to Marvel and DC--I think Marvel has the edge in pure # of comics I can't miss each month (Shield, FF, Moon Knight, X-Force, DD, I-Hulks, Cap, Venom, etc) while DC only has a handful right now ('Tec, Bat Inc, Thunder Agents). That all might change (I do intend to try several in Sept that I'm really going out on a limb on for my own tastes).

You're right on about OGN. Talk about being hypocrites. It doesn't affect me too much since I generally don't buy superhero OGN's--just my type of buying style (we discussed this in a thread before).

Marvel and DC are massive companies whose decisions are influenced by tons of people we've never heard of. My loyalty to them is same as my loyalty to Bank of America and Geico. Non-existent. Sure, I've got nostalgia for both and characters at each that I love dearly and hope to follow for decades to come, but when discussing the actual publishing entity, I find them more annoying and harmful to comics than anything.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I think how Marvel is sinning especially (compared to DC) is with their current death-stunt frenzy. They joked at one point that they were going to do "one death a quarter". But it appears that's exactly what they're doing! Rumor is, Cyclops may be the next to go in their Schism event. And of course, all (with the possible exception of Ultimate Spidey) probably have a planned follow-up event to bring them back. Pretty disgusting, I'd say! The worst part is that it's selling books. [No]

Honestly, with Marvel, I don't think I've enjoyed anything recently as much as Slott's Amazing Spider-man, but I'm in fear of "Spider Island" jumping the shark! (We'll see.) FF is becoming increasingly unsatisfying on an individual issue basis, and Shield is difficult to follow with its publishing schedule and complex nature. Haven't gotten to my DD # 1, but I do anticipate enjoying based on all the positive reviews. Herc is decent, but I miss the iHerc vibe. Alpha Flight's just started and is a mini currently. Enjoying what I've read so far, but I know Alpha revivals never seem to succeed. Recently dropped Heroes for Hire. Honestly, I could probably drop the whole Marvel line with no problem.

I'll try a number of books in DCnU, and I'll keep buying a selection of Marvel books. But I do anticipate that my patronage of both will start to dwindle more and more in favor of companies like Image. Recent launches like Green Wake and Drums at Image continue to impress!

[ July 30, 2011, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Man, I missed out on Green Wake. Didn't reserve and it's sold out every issue of my CBS! That's def a trade purchase for me (unless I find the issues).

Also, for the record, I'm LOVING Slott'e Spidey. It really feels like a true Spider-Man run but with it's own unique 'feel'.

Agree on the deaths. Super-annoying. And you're right, it sells which makes it more insulting. The Bucky Cap one was a new low.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:

Also, for the record, I'm LOVING Slott'e Spidey. It really feels like a true Spider-Man run but with it's own unique 'feel'.

It must feel really weird for you to type that. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Man, I missed out on Green Wake. Didn't reserve and it's sold out every issue of my CBS! That's def a trade purchase for me (unless I find the issues).

I didn't reserve it, either, but my comics guy has been really good about ordering new Image books to put on the shelves. I read the reviews and thumbed through it at the shop and HAD to try it! Three issues in, I'm really enjoying this moody, eccentric series that's really hard to describe in a line or two! The art is lush and impressionistic but still tells the story--I detect a bit of a Sienckewitz influence. Definite contender for 2011's best new series for my vote!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:

It must feel really weird for you to type that. [Big Grin]
It sure does! Excellent example of the reader shouldnt go into a series with any preconceptions (in this case about the author or status quo) because you can really be surprised by it's quality.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Btw, I expect reviews of Green Wake and any other independent stuff you might buy Lardy! (And that goes for everyone!)
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.