Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Justice League (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  39  40  41   
Author Topic: Justice League
Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
Was anyone else disappointed about paying an extra dollar for a shameless plug to buy Meltzer's book? I was excited about an extra length #1 but ended up totally turned off.
From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It was 38 pages of story (48 page comic) along with the Meltzer book chapter. $4 is the going price for this format as we saw in the annuals and the upcoming Mystery in Space, tales of the Unexpected so you didn't pay a dollar for the insert. The only people that paid for that are the comic stores who were charged extra weight on freight.

As for the cross-promotion I haven't read any of Meltzer's novels and didn't read it. Not a fan of the genre but its good that Warner is cross promoting its business units. I'll bet the DC gets more benefit from these things than the other units.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I guess it actually was an extra length story. I was just looking forward to more JLA with all the left over pages and just deflated when I saw what they were. [Frown]

[ August 26, 2006, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Hunt Drouin ]

From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like the handle Meltzer seems to have on VIXEN and RED TORNADO, especially. I look forward to seeing how he handles other characters.

I thought the ARSENAL (RED ARROW?)/Hal Jordan scene was sort of strange.

I also don't like that the big three think of themselves as the big three. I call it stupid that they don't seek the input of somebody like BLACK CANARY, who's been around the hero scene longer than any of them (though not *as* a hero the whole time).

It bugs me that Shayera was killed before this series. She would've been *such* a good fit. Sigh. I suppose there's the prospect of a Kendra/Roy Harper fling to rile up Hawkman and Green Arrow.

I understand folks who disliked IC, the plot points and the ending, but I think Brad Meltzer has a way of writing scenes that really reveal an emotional truth underneath a character or scene. In IC, the scenes surrounding the funeral of Sue still stick out in my mind. I'm hoping for similar scenes in this title.
And, he writes great villains.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the ending sequence that jumped around between scenes was really effective. I like Meltzer's writing style and he's good at characterization. I never had any feelings about Red Tornado so I don't mind the change he undergoes, but I hope it doesn't get undone by story's end.

The one thing I minded is something Meltzer did in "IC" -- having Kathy know Batman's secret identity seems wrong. I know they're retconning the past back to them being all buddy-buddy back in the day, but that seems too much. I can understand Hal and Dinah being loose with their ID's but I would think Batman was more secretive.

Also interesting that the guy Black Lightning was talking to was saying how villains are disappearing from the streets and it's got others spooked. It's almost exactly what Goldbug says in this week's "Heroes for Hire".

[ August 26, 2006, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I was thrilled to see a Legion reference, but wonder how this fits into post-InfCrisis continuity. I doubt Booster Gold (R.I.P.?) even has a flight ring in this 'boot.

It was a fun reference point, to say the least. Couple the flight ring reference to the tunnel under Clark's room as a boy and you've got a number of pre-Crisis threads weaving a potentially interesting throw pillow!!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

An interesting thing about the Hal/Dinah/Ollie/Roy scene is when Ollie says that they're "putting the band back together" they treat it like they are (hence Ollie being proud). But it doesn't look to me like the Big3 are done with their selections. First time around, I kinda assumed they were contacted off-panel, but they all have their own reason for getting together (Reddy and Kathy) apart from the Big3. It'll be interesting if Hal, Dinah and Roy also independently decided to restart the League.

I also hope they use Hal's "invisi-bubble" again. After a ring function like that's been established, it'll seem stupid not to use it again. (same goes for the telepathic plugs Hal made in "52")

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
like the lineup, reminds me of the satellite era.

glad vixen and black lightning finally made it! (prefere vixen over aquaman....and i dont mind aquaman)

not sure why red arrow is such an addition, especially over green arrow.

also, wish zatanna was there. not excited about kendra but would have loved to see shayera in it, her personality and alien background always gave her a lot more than just being able to fly.

but i am wondering how good the lineup is whne bats supes and wondy get busy. that dosnt seem to happen too much with team comics anymore but it took down the satellite era league.

where is power girl? thought she was a shoe in.

also, not sure how i like the swapping of JSA and JLA team members from year to year.

btw, i actually bought this!!! (i havent bought the JLA since JLInternational!! (except for the giffen maguire run on classified))

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
What's Diana's problem with Nightwing? I for one would like to see more of the "Jr.Justice League" characters join the "grown up" team. Wally made it and now Speedy gets to play in the big leagues so what's wrong with little Dicky Grayson?

I'm assuming (actually) that she thinks that Bruce wants to "stack the deck" with trusted allies and that the original Robin would be his right-hand-man in the League. That's not necessarily true but I wouldn't expect WW to actually know that.

Dick is actually a better team player than Bruce and (I think) a superior team-leader.

...have Diana give me a call and I'll see if I can talk her into changing her vote... [Big Grin]

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
What's Diana's problem with Nightwing? I for one would like to see more of the "Jr.Justice League" characters join the "grown up" team. Wally made it and now Speedy gets to play in the big leagues so what's wrong with little Dicky Grayson?

I'm assuming (actually) that she thinks that Bruce wants to "stack the deck" with trusted allies and that the original Robin would be his right-hand-man in the League. That's not necessarily true but I wouldn't expect WW to actually know that.

Dick is actually a better team player than Bruce and (I think) a superior team-leader.

...have Diana give me a call and I'll see if I can talk her into changing her vote... [Big Grin]

I'll have to re-read it again but I took it that Diana was kidding with Bruce, saying that if she gave in on ? (can't remember and don't have the issue with me) then she'd fight him on Dick.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
They were talking about Captain Marvel.

I don't think we'll ever see Nightwing in the League as the same time as Bats, and we won't see it at all under Meltzer's run given what he said on Newsarama.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wouldn't it be cool if PLATINUM is the mysterious 'final' member to join? I loved seeing her and Gold again in #1.

Other members of the METAL MEN could rotate to take her place when she's 'out of order', which you know she would be every few issues.

If there's a METAL MEN series in the cards, I'd prefer her there, I guess. It'd be fun to see one of the Metal Men out on their own in the wider DCU, though.

[ September 04, 2006, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

The beginning still reminds me of kids playing some hero card game - especially with Batman's "I want him" comment. I wonder if Meltzer was intentionally harkening back to a more innocent frame of mind or maybe trying to appeal to the card gamers out there?
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here be spoilers...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Courtesy of Lying in the Gutters, here is the published cover for JLA #2, revealing the shadowy figures from the preview (also here for your comparison). As noted by Rich, the shadows don't match up to what is revealed and they've changed the color of the bow.

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I love the line up. While I admit Red Tornado doesn't do much for me...i am tired of the Martian Manhunter in the JLA. Plus RT reminds me of my favorite JLA era...and Meltzer did a great job selling him in issue #1.

Really love Roy Harper! I also was hoping for Garth/Tempest as the next Titan to get promoted to the big time. Just cause he blows away Aquaman. But I'm a bigger fan of Roy's than Garth anyhow. Red Arrow? Eh. Crimson Arrow or Archer may be better.

LOVE the women on the team. UNLIKE the Legion they have aggressive powers! Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, Black Canary, Vixen, and Power Girl? ouch!

And very glad to see Black Lightning as well. Been waiting forever to see him done right! (hal jordan? eh. I would've preferred any other GL including Gnort).

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 41 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  39  40  41   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.