Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » So...what did ya get this week? (Page 18)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: So...what did ya get this week?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
While IT is great, I feel it dragged in places (like get to the frickin' rock fight, already!!!) much more than The Stand did.

Salem's Lot is comparatively short, as is The Shining. Both are phenominal books but definitely slow burns. That's how King's books typically work. He's known for his frights, but his strengths are more in character development and richness of the story. When the frights do come, the character and story are what make them pay off so well, IMO. I've only read a handful, so I can't speak for the entire body of work, but everything I've read, I've enjoyed. And they all share those traits I describe.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Firestarter gets my vote for an easy breezy King read.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
My parents bought me a collected edition years ago as a Christmas gift which included the Shining and Salem's Lot.

For some reason I've never read it.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:

Salem's Lot is comparatively short, as is The Shining. Both are phenominal books but definitely slow burns. That's how King's books typically work. He's known for his frights, but his strengths are more in character development and richness of the story. When the frights do come, the character and story are what make them pay off so well, IMO. I've only read a handful, so I can't speak for the entire body of work, but everything I've read, I've enjoyed. And they all share those traits I describe.

I found the Shining a bit bloated. I understood what he was trying to do, and he did set the stage very well, but the book could still have shed a hundred or so pages and have been just as effective, if not more so.

His best book I think is still Pet Semetary as it so deftly melded a real sense of grief with such sharpened horror. What I always find funny is that the movie was the most faithful of all the King adaptations I've seen, but the least effective as a film.

And to keep this from being a total thread drift:

This week I got:

Madame Xanadu
Supergirl Annual
Action Comics
and
Roda Home: Ra's Al Ghul (haven't read it though, waiting for Return to finish).

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh god, Pet Semetary. I couldn't stomach the movie, I don't think I'm going near the book.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wonder Woman #604
Superman # 704
Bruce Wayne, the Road Home: Oracle
Supergirl annual #2

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Superman #704
Bruce Wayne, the Road Home: Oracle
Bruce Wayne, the Road Home: Ra's al Ghul
Zatanna #6
Justice Society of America #44
Madame Xanadu #28
Time Masters: Vanishing Point #4
JLA/The 99 #1
Hellblazer: City of Demons #2
Captain America: Patriot #3
Weird World of Jack Staff #5
Incorruptible #11
Hellboy Beasts of Burden One-Shot
The Bulletproof Coffin #5

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up Marvel's "Tomb of Terror" #1. It's no "Giant Sized Man-Thing", but the art on the lead story was pretty good.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Superboy #1
I Zombie #7
Freedom Fighters #3
Generation Hope #1
Batman/Catwoman: Follow the Money
Doom Patrol #16
Ozma of Oz #1

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Superboy#1
JSA All-Stars #12
Detective Comics #870
Irredeemable #19
Brightest Day #13
Baltimore: The Plague Ships #4
Adventure Comics #520
Batman and Robin #16
Secret Six #27
House of Mystery #31
Doom Patrol #16
Strange Tales II #2

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

American Vampire #8
Knight & Squire #2
Tiny Titans/Little Archie #2
Welcome to Tranquility: One Foot in the Grave #5
THUNDER Agents #1
All-New Batman: Brave and the Bold #1
Booster Gold #38 (A lark after reading some of the dialogue)

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Knight & Squire #2
Welcome to Tranquility: One Foot in the Grave #5
Batman The Return of Bruce Wayne #6
B.P.R.D Hell on Earth #4
Green Hornet #9
Green Hornet Year One #6
R.E.B.E.L.S #22
Halcyon #1
Hellblazer City of Demons #3
The Unwritten #19
Doc Savage #8
Okko The Cycle of Air #4
Atomic Robo Deadly Art of Science #1

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Batman Incorporated #1
Zatanna #7
Superior #2
Tiny Titans #34
Darkwing Duck #6
Green Lantern Corps #54
Legion of Super-Heroes #7

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Legion #7, plus the Supergirl Annual

(Adventure will have to wait, since I didn't have the funds. Next week, maybe.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
SK, hope you review Thunder Agents (feel free to find a thread or start a new one) and Superior

OM, also looking forward to a review of Halycon, which I've considered getting but am unsure if I will.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.