Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » THE WALKING DEAD tv show (Page 49)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52   
Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD tv show
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Both her first and final appearances this ep were pretty awesome!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     

I started to write another long paragraph about my Michonne hate but deleted it - I'm clearly in the minority there and there's no point in sounding like a broken record about it. Suffice to say that she still just seems like such a focus-group-tested, artificial construction of what a 'bad-ass' TV character should be to me... but I am at least happy to see them introduce super-powers to The Walking Dead universe - because how else to explain her telepathic ability to instantly know that the Governor's people were bad and Rick's people more than likely good?

---

Just caught up on the last three episodes and it will come as no surprise to anyone that I was sorry to see T-Dog go in the first one of them. What may surprise people is that I was also really sorry to see Lori go, as I'm one of the few who's been really enjoying her character (and the actress' performance) since the series began too, and defending her to all my friends who hate her. I was big-time surprised that she did die when she did though (I thought for sure she would be a lock until at least the end of the season) so, I guess, points to TWD for the surprise factor.

What was, of course, not a surprise and was instead just depressingly predictable was T-Dog's fate as soon as that other black male character got introduced! And to think that we were all joking that T-Dog's days were numbered the moment Tyreese showed up. Apparently all it takes to exceed the "black man quota" in genre television is to introduce some random background character!

As exciting as it is losing characters in this show, they really need to slow down for a bit IMO. I'm going to lose interest fast if it becomes too much like the comic where...

Click Here For A Spoiler all the interesting characters get killed off and it's pretty much just Michonne and Wonder Boy and his Dad left.

Other observations:

* I like how much more nuance they're giving the Governor in the show. In the comic, he was pretty much just a moustache-twirling super-villain, but here there's a lot more shades of grey. I'm getting a better sense of why he does what he does here than I did in the comic.
* If we had to lose someone, why couldn't it have been Carol? I find her character so boring for some reason. It might be the actress though. She annoyed me in The Mist too.
* I think Laurie Holden is doing a great job as Andrea this season. I loved the way she delivered some of her lines with Michonne a few episodes ago - the way she kind of tried to whinily guilt-trip Michonne into staying at Woodbury. I like that this is a character who thinks she's sort of got things figured but is actually able to make mistakes every now and then. UNLIKE A CERTAIN OTHER UBER BAD-ASS CHARACTER WHO CAN DO NO WRONG AND WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS.
* I too totally thought Rick was gonna start searching through that zombie for Lori's wedding ring. It seemed weird that he didn't actually.
* I could not believe it when they introduced the "crazy phone" sub-plot but thank God it only lasted one episode instead of the 12 boring issues or whatever it lasted in the comic. Seriously, worst TWD comic sub-plot ever?
* I like what they're doing with Merle this season. He seemed way too stereotypical and over-the-top in the first season so it's great to see Michael Rooker being given some more levels to play with now.
* All in all, I'm still really enjoying this show. I love that they're still not afraid to depart from the comic's history - and I only hope they increase to do so in the future, since the post-prison storylines are when the book starts to fall off the rails for me.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Not arguing Blacula, but just thought that I'd chime in on one part of your post. The only thing I can think of regarding Michonne trusting Ricks group as opposed to the Governors is that she did spend all those months alone with Andrea, who has told her a lot of what had happened to them. She said something to Michonne about her knowing all about Andrea, while she knew nothing about Michonne.

Not trying to change your mind about her, just something I thought of that may explain her trusting one over the other. Besides, maybe that's why one of those "too good to be true" people that find it hard to accept anything that seems that way.

[shrug]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
As to another point...I am also loving the character of the Governor on the show. You hit the nail on the head between the comic version and the television version. I am really looking forward to the stuff to come.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This show has gotten so much better IMO.

so much better!!! It is like its own entity with the correct spirit of the book intact.

Instead of some mishmash of the books plots into a full on drama tv show. It didn't have the same effect or output.

Rick is my least favorite in and out of the comic still. I don't appreciate the overacting of the tv Rick. which is one big reason I didnt like the first and second seasons ... too much over acting ... the quavering voices ... the shouting ... the misty eyes ... jeez. thats been toned down a lot the season and made up for with action.

now I feel like it has that unending dread (if not the amount of depression) of the comic book,(the message of the comic) but with different details that cater to an entertaining action packed tv format with.

can't wait for Michonne to stick around and Tyrese to appear.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I'm cringing, hoping that scene doesn't happen--with Merle or the Gov. I'm terrified for both of the two captured.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
ME TOO. Those scenes DO NOT NEED to happen EVER on the TV show!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:

I don't remember a phone call, maybe its past where I read.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
The phonecall subplot was one of my lesser favorites of the comic, so of course they couldn't wait to throw that in.

I'm pretty sure the phone call must have been past where I read as well, but I have to say, I found it incredibly annoying. I hope it is actually done with this episode.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I thought they were going to change it up and have the phone call be from someone else ... and leave us guessing as to whether they were real or not ...

Click Here For A Spoiler I thought it would be the people from the "utopian" safe village they find after the prison ... where they are now in the books.

Dev - Em
KIA

The phone calls happened starting around issue 50, give or take an issue or two.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Nerves totes shot all during this episode. Not sure I will even be able to handle next week's...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Nerve racking beyond belief and I'm so relieved with what didn't happen. Still incredibly effective--both Maggie's ordeal and Glenn with the walker.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Glen is a total bad ass. Just sayin.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Glenn's sequence with the walker was AWESOME! I bet that was hard to choreograph!

This season continues to rock HARD!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

I can't believe they're doing the split season thing again. GAH!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
I can't believe they're doing the split season thing again. GAH!

Hey, at least they didn't end the fall portion with THIS episode! It seems like we'll get a degree of immediate resolution with episode eight in terms of: "Will Maggie and Glenn be saved", etc.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.