Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Origin of ... (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Origin of ...
drgoodhead
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
Still, he went on to explain that "If we give the fans what they want, it may be interpreted as a lack of confidence in our current direction."

just like i ALWAYS suspected: four reboots of legion,getting rid of KATAR HOL,HAL JORDAN,SUPERGIRL, the mess that is the current SPECTRE,THE KINGDOM, giffens SUICIDE SQUAD,........

IS THIS DC 'S PHILOSOPHY??
(i am one hell of a dc fan,since age 5,as a matter of fact just before reading this post i was just re-reading steve's first stint as legion artist (baxter series #3),which is still great after all these years.)
if so ,(grudginly) MAKE MINE MARVEL!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
Well ... I don't want to get too long winded this time, so I'll take up the subject of Quislet's origin again soon.
Until then ... have fun!

Steve Lightle

I am anxiously awaiting the continuation of my origin [Wink]

------------------
"I don't want the world... I just want your half!"
They Might Be Giants "Ana Ng"

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danno60
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post     
Steve if the powers that be had any consideration for longtime fans (I think I qualify since I've been following the Legion since 1971), then you'd be the new artist. Thisfan has his fingers crossed hoping that someone in editorial sees the "light". Pun intended.
Danno

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Bump! (The possibility of Steve's return to the Legion is just too tantalizing a thing to allow to fizzle out.)

I agree that the teaming up of Lightle and DnA could be a wonderful thing, and I hope that all three parties agree. In all likelihood, such a development probably wood promote some badly needed harmony among post-boot and pre-boot fans. More importantly, the cooperative efforts of these creative power-houses would certainly bring about some equally powerful stories.

Now, this may be a naive thing for me to request, but would it be possible for DnA themselves to publicly weigh in on the matter of Steve's return to the Legion's pencils? In any event, I'd enjoy hearing from you guys about anything (I really appreciate the fact that, just like Mr. Lightle, you've previously taken the time to talk to your fans on these message boards.)

Good luck, Steve! And keep up the good work, Dan and Andy!

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve, I also loved your work on the Legion. The Legion women never looked better! I do have a question, as well. Why was the Legion rebooted? I am still not clear on this. Also, how was the decision to reboot recieved by other staff at DC, including those working on the Legion? Just wondering...and thank you very much for taking the time to hang with us Legionphiles!
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
BUMP for nonhumanoid Legionnaires and their esteemed creators (and to get past all those silly, you gotta admit, one-post "Legion Lost TPB" threads *sigh*) ...

What makes Steve's note on meta-origins especially interesting, thus far, is how Quislet's no-thumbs-etc. manipulation of matter ended up when manifesting in this universe. Everything he inhabited ultimately (and usually quite soon) FELL APART, remember!

I wonder if that side effect -- which happened only after Quislet had accomplished something with his possession, to be fair -- was from Paul Levitz's input to the character. To create a story-grist-building limitation or drawback of that power, perhaps?

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Greybird guessed right. Paul was the one that suggested that Quislet's altered matter creations should crumble. I didn't want to dismiss his suggestions concerning the character, but the concept didn't really figure in to my thinking. I'm still not sure what scientific reason might be given to explain why Quis' creations should always dissolve.
Maybe we need some Julie Shwartz science to explain this.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve,

Maybe WHEN you re-introduce him into continuity, you can get rid of the crumble thing. I think it would be cool to have statues of Quislet's possessions laying around. [Smile]

Also, keep Quis organic and Tellus' color communication. [Wink]

Thanks,
Gary

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Owl Lad said:
<< Steve, add me to the list of those clamoring for more info on the "Batgirl" design. Was there a name for her and background? >>

I always figured that the same inspiration that lead her to design an updated Bat costume would also influence her name. She'd most likely call herself Bat Girl, Nightwing, or maybe Sonar. She could have been called the Flying Fox ... but that would have been so AC Comics. : )

As for her background, maybe she (in keeping with Legion tradition) came from a world of people who used Sonar abilities in their everyday lives. Maybe she was visiting Earth at the time of the Legion tryouts, and inspired by the accomplishments of our planet's Bat Man, she decided to give it a go. After all, she might have reasoned, if non powered Earthlings can accomplish such great things in a Bat costume ...

Steve

SteveLightle

BTW ... I should mention that the Bat Girl design we are talking about was originally done as a sample of my art. It was done specifically for the folks in the submissions department of DC. As I recall, Bat Girl was delivering a very high kick to the chin of a Teen Titans villain, as Robin and the other Titans rushed on to the scene in the background.
I'd always thought that Bat Girl's costume was a bit dull, and so I thought I'd spice it up a little. It did seem to get some attention. I remember one esteemed DC editor pulling me aside at Chicago Con and whispering, "This down here (pointing to the blue bikini style bottom)certainly gets your attention- of course, because we are both men- but it's just not practical." Of course, I countered with the impracticality of Heroines in heels, Wonder Woman's strapless bustier, men fighting in long flowing capes or wearing masks that would certainly impair their peripheral vision, the bare chested Hawkman ...
Isn't it funny how often people feel compelled to defend positions that they don't really believe in? That Bat Girl costume had served its purpose ... it got his attention.

Steve

SteveLightle

Lancesrealm said:
<< Steve, I also loved your work on the Legion. The Legion women never looked better!
I do have a question, as well. Why was the Legion rebooted? >>

It may have just been a matter of crunching the numbers. DC editors had told me that the sales, since the beginning of the darker grimmer version of the Legion, had fallen to a fragment of what they had previously been. Although some readers truly seemed to appreciate the darker tone of the book, a great many more chose to stop buying the title. Couple the failing sales with the fact that many Legion fans within the professional community strongly disagreed with the creative direction of the series, and you can see that something was bound to happen ... or the Legion would have been cancelled outright.

Could there have been a better solution? I imagine so. Personally, I always felt that the dark grim Legion might simply be a possible future. After all, hadn't we already seen (in Legion continuity) that the Adult Legion stories of the Silver Age were not destined to be fulfilled? Levitz and Giffen did an annual that clearly showed that Shadow Lass was not doomed to die defending Earth, as had previously been shown. If the Adult Legion stories created by Shooter and Swan needn't be seen as gospel, what made the Giffen/Bierbaum adult Legion so daunting? I think the whole thing could have been dismissed by a story featuring a small group of younger Legionnaires paying a visit to their future and finding it horrific.

We could have simply returned to a time before the "5 year gap" with the young Legionnaires. They could have reported their findings to Brainiac 5, who would assure them that the time line that they visited needn't come true for them. He might tell them to keep it a secret from the others, but to consider their experience as a warning. Then, after the others left, we might see Brainy pondering quietly ... wondering if he truly believed what he had told them. What if his friends and Earth itself were truly destined for ruin? "No, it can't be. Such a fatalistic belief could destroy the heart of the Legion."

This could be followed by stories in which the Legion, especially those who had visited the future, would redouble their efforts to do good ... and to root out any cancers that might begin to develop within the Legion itself.

It might have worked.

Steve

See pages of original Steve Lightle art at ... http://www.geocities.com/stevelightle/home.html
Or see Steve's interactive online Batman adventure ... http://www.onstaradventure.com/ba_comic.htm

SteveLightle

Remember just a while back, talking about Allegra? I mentioned that I had eventually used her as part of a super team that I wrote, penciled and inked for Marvel.

Well, here's a web site with more info, and some images from the book.
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/newgenix.htm#Allegra

As I've said before, I did change her look a bit when she jumped over to New Genix. Originally I'd intended Allegra to have a scarlet and gold costume, inspired by the Flash.

Steve

Comet King
No 1 Tellus fan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comet King           Edit/Delete Post     
Okey dokey - now we can all see what Munchkin would have looked like hows about telling us how you planned for him to join the Legion? Was he intended to join circa Tellus or for the reboot with Allegra?

--------------------
"What a total entropic mess! Let me at it!"

From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed looking at the 'New Genix' illustrations and bios.

Olivier had said in an interview, somewhere, that he was starting to redesign the Legion costumes, to give the Legion a sort of 1600's look (I think I have the era correct).

I've loved Sprouse's and Moy's designs, especially that some of the elements of the costumes were universally used for a recognizeable 'Legion' look, while keeping individuality a high priority.

If you became the primary Legion illustrator, would you design a new look for the Legion and Legion World?
Would you go for an era change - covering everyone on Earth+?

I know that I don't want this Legion to look like the pre-boot Legion.
BUT, I would certainly enjoy seeing new (and fairly practical) costumes for the 'Legion after LOST'.

Also, who would be your inker?
I'd love to see Andy continue at the job.
Would you have preference and do artists have a say in who they team with?

Shady

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yarky
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yarky           Edit/Delete Post     
As neat as your idea about avoding the Legion reboot is Steve, I have a personal, selfish reason for being glad it did reboot. When Levitz' stupid Death of Invisible Kid was undone and Lyle restored in even greater glory, I was overwhelmed. Lyle being my favorite Legionnaire ...
From: Houston TX | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.