Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Need A Legion Reference? Post Here (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 67 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  65  66  67   
Author Topic: Need A Legion Reference? Post Here
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely remember him doing this. IIRC, it was LSH Annual # 2, when he and 5 others are stuck in the far past while Karate Kid and Projectra are getting married.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
I have the opportunity to buy a few comics from the 1960's. The seller is an older gentleman with virtually no comic knowledge. He says he has these two titles:

Superman Aug 1962, issue #155
Superman Giant Annual 1962

Does anyone know if either of these comics has a Legion story in them?

He's got a few other comics as well (mixture of Marvel and DC) including Spiderman, Aquaman, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Superman, Batman, Incredible Hulk, Iron man, and so on. Any suggestions on their worth. He describes them as "not mint, but not junk". How old would some of these comics be? What year did some of these comics start? He said they are all from the 1960's.

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triplicate Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triplicate Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.geocities.com/area51/chamber/8178/an80pg.html Looks like no Legion content in the 62 Annual.
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/pre-crisis-reviews/pre-crisis-mmrs-intro.php?topic=c-review-pc-sup155 Nor in that issue.

--------------------
Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, I'm reading Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes issue #226 and a couple of questions come up.

1. Why doesn't Saturn Girl wear a helmet in space like the other Legionnaires? We got Lightning Lad, Sun Boy, and Star Boy wearing them. Wildfire, Dawnstar, Superboy, and Saturn Girl are not wearing one. The characters are together in the same panels and the issue is repeated in every panel. I understand why Wildfire, Dawnstar, and Superboy aren't wearing one, but why Saturn Girl? In issue #229 she is shown with a helmet. I'm assuming the arist errored in issue #226. Agree?

2. On page 4, last panel, someone (most likely Lightning Lad) says:

"Even I can't fly a computer coarse in space". I understand that LL is a good navigator, so if you simply don't just log the coarse heading into the ships computer, how do they get where they are going? How do you manually navigate? I don't get it.

3. Anyone know what planet the Resource Raiders are from as well as any racial facts about them? What is their race called? Are they telepathic? The do appear to be rather strong despite their lack of muscular builds. Input please.

4. Finally, can anyone give me a good explanation of Stargrave's powers? he kinda seems to be able to do whatever the writer wants him to do rather than having his powers defined.

[ December 11, 2008, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Phantom Girl ]

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
1. artist errors, presumably. there were a lot of inconsistencies (in writing and art) in the 70s.

2. 70s concepts of computers were very limited (even in Star Wars - if rebels have plans to the Death Star, why not just broadcast them far and wide?). It was just one of those plot loophole details that wrirters/editors assumed would go unchecked. Again, it was the 70s - it was an acceptable plot elemet for TV shows for a generic "computer expert" to program any old computer to explode on command, even!

Audiences have become much more sophisticated since then, and not just for SF. If you've ever had the misfortune to watch the early 70s Ryan O'Neil's flick "Love Story," his gf/wife/whatever dies from a prolonged illness, but they never tell the audience what it was or anything about it! That would never fly today.

3. I don't recall a lot of detail about them, but they did turn up a few times in that era. By #240-245, we learn a little more about them, but not a lot. I don't have those issues handy right this sec.

4. That's basically it. He may have become more defined in the early 90s in L.E.G.I.O.N., but for the 70s and 80s he was rather undefined.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Here's one for which I've been trying to find an answer: Has Ultra Boy (in any version) ever manifested his powers as ultra-breath? I guess I've always assumed this was in his repertoire, but I can't remember if I've ever seen him do this.

Thanks!

yes. besides Chaim's example, I'm pretty sure Levitz showed this on repeated occassions.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
Superman Aug 1962, issue #155
Superman Giant Annual 1962

Does anyone know if either of these comics has a Legion story in them?

SUPERMAN #155 (Aug 1962) has the third appearance of the adult Legionnaires, Cosmic Man (posing as Hercules) and Lightning Man (posing as Samson)!

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #6 (1962) contains a reprint of the first Legion story (recolored) and a pin up featuring them and several other Superman Family characters on the back cover.

I have both comics and highly recommend them.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Thanks Nightcrawler, I'll give the gentleman a call back and make the drive to go see the comics. He said they weren't in mint shape but they weren't junk either. Such was his description of what kind of shape they were in. Any suggestions on what I should pay? I know his description doesn't say much but....Last year I bought silver age comics from an antique dealer which I would say were in fair shape...I paid $3.00 each for them.

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I've paid $3-$5 for poor condition golden/silver age comics that I've wanted in the past (they usually give you more entertainment than the comics of the same price made today).

I've also paid $10-$20 for really good condition books of that age as well.

I'd recommend checking out the other books he has while you are there. The Superman issues could potentially have a Legion appearance and check out prof's Gym'll threads to learn more about the 60's Marvel books.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Random question (and I have no idea if this is the right thread for it...). In this Alex Ross Legion painting, who is the bikini-clad dark-haired woman underneath Cosmic Boy and above Phantom Girl?

It looks kinda like Laurel Kent's costume, maybe on Night Girl, but I have no idea... Neither of them would be Legionnaires contemporary with Tyroc (well, Laurel was never a Legionnaire, for that matter), as the only time Night Girl has been a Legionnaire, AFAIK, is in the Action Legion with Chameleon Girl, Red Tornado Wildfire and company.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's Night Girl. Notice the owl motif.

True, she was not a Legionnaire at the time. Ross was apparently employing artistic license.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

I recall a story in which cosmic boy manipulated gravity with his powers in order to simulate flying. Can anyone help me locate this story so I can read about what exact explanation he provided to accomplish this feat. I'm in the midst of writing up the Magnetic Manipulation power for my game and I want to include this effect.

--------------------

Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember he flew on the Earth's magnetic field with his powers in the Spotlight on Cosmic Boy issue that was around issue #300. #298? #298 sounds right for some reason.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
296-297 are the issues where Cos's parents and brother are killed/injured by terrorists. 298 had Blok and White Witch fighting a Khund in the Asterois Archipelago.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Can anyone describe Mandalla? Her personality?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 67 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  65  66  67   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.