Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!? (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!?
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Last night I sent Dan Didio a short email using the address provided in this thread. I wrote:

quote:
Dear Dan,

I've been reading Legion of Super Heroes since I was a kid. I'm 55 now, so that's a long time. It's the only comic book I read, so you can imagine my disappointment in hearing that the title is being cancelled. given that this is the 50th anniversary of LSH, it seems rather strange that DC would celebrate it with a return of the original (and to me, most beloved) Legion, just to end it all. I hope that DC will not let the Legion sit for long without a monthly book. Please reconsider your commitment to one of hte most important pieces of DC history.

Best regards,

Brent Seymour

I just received the following, pleasant reply from Dan Didio.

quote:
Sorry that this series is coming to an end but I see so much great product for the Legion in '09, I believe you will be excited and intrigued by what the new year has to offer. Legion Of Three Worlds will continue into January and this will clarify the status of all the Legion.

Legion has a long and storied history with the DC Universe and will continue to be a mainstay of our line.

Regards,

DD

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Positive Man
Negative Creature

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Positive Man   Email Positive Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Nice!

--------------------
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true.

From: Lisbon | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
It is nice. Nice of him to answer at all, and certainly courteous, and what he said was just the sort of thing we want to hear.

Still... how should I put this...

An e-mail like that is basically worth its weight in gold.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
When it comes to the Legion, Didio's word is basically worth its weight in horse manure.

Yeah, I'm going to write him a letter, too.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's a politician's answer: Tell them what they want to hear but nothing of substance.

Notice the vague wording: "great product" (this could mean anything from a new series to Legion buttons) . . . "clarify the status" (this could mean anything from whether or not the Legion continues to be published to how they interact with the rest of the DCU) . . . "continue to be a mainstay" (in what way? As a new series, as supporting characters, as a collection of reprints?).

I used to believe that any response from comics creators or editors was good, but, in the current political climate, I feel that such answers are only an attempt to manipulate fans.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
When it comes to the Legion, Didio's word is basically worth its weight in horse manure.

If you do, ask him who was the genius who trampled Shooter by releasing L3W over his tenure and forgetting to include him - the main writer - on it.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
It's a politician's answer: Tell them what they want to hear but nothing of substance.

I used to believe that any response from comics creators or editors was good, but, in the current political climate, I feel that such answers are only an attempt to manipulate fans.

I wouldn't go that far, I think you pretty much nailed it first: it was a protocolar answer. I don't think Didio means badly of us (he surely loves comics and loves his job) but his tenure recently has been fractured with incompetence and mismanagement.
I would say now it is the time for DC to take risks. But they won't: they will insist on making mistakes.
And Marvel is no comparison to it: I simply don't like their product at all, except for very few franchises that are more DC oriented (like Daredevil).

Well, at least a new Hero Squared book will come out next year.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
quote:

If you do, ask him who was the genius who trampled Shooter by releasing L3W over his tenure and forgetting to include him - the main writer - on it.
No, when you write letters to people like that, representatives of large corporations, there's no point in getting hostile. It doesn't get you anywhere and it gives them a reason to dismiss your letter.

I believe that these are the principles to follow when writing such entities:
1. Be polite.
2. Be concise; if it's too long, it doesn't matter how good a letter it is, because they won't read it.
3. The smarter and more reasonable you sound, the more chances you have of getting someone to listen to you.
4. A paper letter carries more weight than an e-mail.
5. Explain, simply, what it is you want.
6. Explain how it's in their best interests.
7. Strength in numbers: a thousand letters is better than a hundred letters is better than one letter.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
I sent DiDio an e-mail saying that I was going to boycott all of DC's comics until the Legion was being published again. He sent me the exact same reply he sent Semi Transparent Fellow, except that he added "I am always surprised to hear someone willing to drop the entire line on the basis of one series."

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not surprised that it was a prefabricated answer. I am surprised that he included a personal reply about the boycott.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
I wouldn't go that far, I think you pretty much nailed it first: it was a protocolar answer. I don't think Didio means badly of us (he surely loves comics and loves his job) but his tenure recently has been fractured with incompetence and mismanagement.

Just to clarify: one can be manipulative without having bad feelings or intentions toward those who are being manipulated. Parents do it all the time. [Smile]

--------------------

Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
quote:
quote:

No, when you write letters to people like that, representatives of large corporations, there's no point in getting hostile. It doesn't get you anywhere and it gives them a reason to dismiss your letter.

I believe that these are the principles to follow when writing such entities:
1. Be polite.
2. Be concise; if it's too long, it doesn't matter how good a letter it is, because they won't read it.
3. The smarter and more reasonable you sound, the more chances you have of getting someone to listen to you.
4. A paper letter carries more weight than an e-mail.
5. Explain, simply, what it is you want.
6. Explain how it's in their best interests.
7. Strength in numbers: a thousand letters is better than a hundred letters is better than one letter.

I was obviously ranting to you, but I would definitely touch such point. In fact, exact 17 years ago, I wrote a huge 3-page letter to Paul Levitz (probably in a passable English) and he actually wrote me back a PERSONAL letter (as in not pre-fabricated). It is lost somewhere around my house, but it is something I cherish to this day.
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

What I really think about DiDio's answer is that it's an accurate summary of his intentions. I believe that DC intends to do all kinds of great things with the Legion next year. But, as the expression goes, hope is not a plan.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I'm not surprised that it was a prefabricated answer. I am surprised that he included a personal reply about the boycott.

It was probably a prefabricated reply about the boycott.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
jesus people, i don't think being freakishly rude is the way to go. consider getting a really hostile, dickish email like that at your job. i do not envy his job. what other job do you get crazy emails from people that don't know you that are rude and filled with things you wouldn't say to someone that's actually kicked you in the face?

i think didio's answer is appropriate and more hope filled than i was expecting.

as for all the complaining that it's prefabricated, i'm sorry but what would you do if your email's being flooded with people all asking hte same question?! oh, i get it he's supposed to write 700 personal emails replying in detail to your demands. yeah, how much work would he actually get done. be practical, people. i think it shows that he READS these emails that he included a reply about the boycott and it didn't sound prefabricated to me, btw.

i totally agree with matthew's guidelines. do you know what you sound like when you say weird, crazy, uncalled for things? you sound like the homeless guy you avoid that talks about asteroids infesting the white house.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.