Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!? (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!?
Size Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Size Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw a reference that something will be happening to Action Comics in the near future. There would be a bit of symmetry to "Action Comics featuring Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes," considering what happened after the initial Adventure Comics run.
Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
That is really pathetic that they're doing this after all the hype about the 50th anniversary. DC sucks is about all I can say. I may have to boycott them and switch to Marvel.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with rouge that there is no way Legion should be cancelled when you have books selling way below 15k and being sustained by DC for any reason or other. Not only that, but from fan reaction at Newsarama, most people dropped the book because they saw L3W coming and ending the threeboot. And this was a HUGE mistake from DC. The main event of Legion is actually undoing the main title. What???
That said, I don't see a new series coming after Legion of 3 Worlds because it seems clear that Johns is not writing LSH in any capacity in the near future and I would say Dan Didio will do to the Legion his Aquaman approach: when someone gives him a good reason to try something, he will do it.
Funny though, was that Rich Johnston was right all the time - the book would end at #50, no relaunch would be made but there might be some specials coming out of that.
Hopefully, it will be a Levitz/Giffen mini or HC. Hell, I'd give my finger for a Shooter/Giffen Legion book.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
That is really pathetic that they're doing this after all the hype about the 50th anniversary. DC sucks is about all I can say. I may have to boycott them and switch to Marvel.

Well, except for Iron Fist, most Marvel material these days is unreadable. And I even tried Annihilation. Sorry, but I simply can't have love for that. Maybe it is a good excuse to go back to used bins and search for cool material.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, if after all the smoke clears following FC and there's no Legion title, and the limiteds I'm reading all finish off, I'll only have four ongoing titles on my pull list. That hasn't happened in... well ... ever.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mearl Dox
Likes green

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mearl Dox   Email Mearl Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
S-such a long time since I posted... [Embarrassed]

Finding out the Legion's being cancelled... I have such mixed feelings. I had kind of fallen out with the threeboot earlier on, but Shooter was getting me back into it again, and I wish we could see all he'd had planned (to 54) instead of ending with the dramatic number of #50.

I don't think it'll stay quiet too long, despite the refusal to state any plans... but still, I'm sad.

--------------------
科学の使者、キュアドクス!

From: Colu | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not so concerned about the fact that the current series is ending. I *know* there will be something else Legion related coming. Well, I *hope* another Legion series will be coming.

It is sort of like, "Happy Anniversary... now Die!" That sucks.

My gut reaction is that I fear missing whatever appearances come up. I rely on Legion World to not miss stuff, so I'll be here.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
Fuck this. I expect there will be another new Legion title sooner or later, but as long as DC is not publishing a regular Legion comic, I will be boycotting DC.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it appears that Rich Johnston was right after all...

Not fussed as long as something comes back in a few months

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
This has been a very strange 50th anniversary for the Legion.

1) Cancellation of the animated series
2) Cancellation of the Legion in 31st Century comic book
3) Upcoming cancellation of LSH main title book at #50

The good news is we still have the Legion of 3 Worlds mini-series - hopefully it will turn out to be great. We also have the Legion appearing in an upcoming episode of "Smallville", so they aren't totally dead yet.

Still, I am ultimately very disappointed DC is willing to let Shooter and Manipul go so easily. The title has been quality stuff for the past year, and if it was given more support by the PTB, and not by schizophrenic Elseworlds versions of "Classic Legion" or "Adult Legion" or "Animated Version Legion" but specials and crossovers with the Shooter Legion, I think a lot of new fans would be less confused and have joined on. A new reboot with a new art team and their new "vision" will lose me completely. I'm getting too old for this.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
This has been a very strange 50th anniversary for the Legion.

1) Cancellation of the animated series
2) Cancellation of the Legion in 31st Century comic book
3) Upcoming cancellation of LSH main title book at #50

The good news is we still have the Legion of 3 Worlds mini-series - hopefully it will turn out to be great. We also have the Legion appearing in an upcoming episode of "Smallville", so they aren't totally dead yet.

Except that L3W is a Superman story, according to Geoff Johns, and so it seems so far, and Smallville is also pulling the plug this season. And it seems only the 3 original members will be on it anyway.

quote:

Still, I am ultimately very disappointed DC is willing to let Shooter and Manipul go so easily. The title has been quality stuff for the past year, and if it was given more support by the PTB, and not by schizophrenic Elseworlds versions of "Classic Legion" or "Adult Legion" or "Animated Version Legion" but specials and crossovers with the Shooter Legion, I think a lot of new fans would be less confused and have joined on. A new reboot with a new art team and their new "vision" will lose me completely. I'm getting too old for this.

Amen to that.
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah well, I still think it's unneccessary nitpicking not to take this Lightning Saga Legion as close enough to the original to simply enjoy it. But that's the nitpickers problem, I really am having a ride with those books Johns is dishing out recently. Even got his whole JSA series from 1999 cause his writing really is convincing (Sinestro Corps anyone?).

But as for the Shooter Legion... I'm sad to see it go. As I stated recently, it has surpassed my expectations by far and I am liking it more than DnA meanwhile. It's sad that Shooter came on board so late, what a book this could've been had we not have to suffer through Waids ridiculous generation conflict babble.

As most of you, I am quite certain the Legion will return in less than half a year. Which version? Hopefully Levitz will have an idea (and hopefully, he will stop DiDio should he have another one of those "brilliant" ideas of his).

My current feelings about DC are quite negative as well. Reading Marvel makes me realize that the competition is running out of ideas as well. Skrulls again? D'uh...

My way is going to Ebay, buying whole series for little money (Valiant stuff, JSA, Marvels Exiles, even Malibu which are more fun than one might imagine) or getting more independent stuff like anything Alex Robinson is writing...

Or maybe more Vertigo, seeing that series like Fables are pure satisfaction... anyone put up "Greatest Hits #1" this month?

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
Even if it's nitpicking to wonder about the anachronisms in the Lo3W Legion, that still doesn't address my big problems. First, the Legionnaires are supporting case members to Superman. That's a big disappointment for me.

Second, I'm still waiting to see some character development in Johns' Legion beyond simply attaching labels to the characters (the truth, justice, American way for the founders, "burn out" for Sun Boy, etc.). Johns has written almost as many issues of the Legion in the past few years as Shooter, and there is no comparison in terms of character development. I feel I know the threeboot characters' personalities better than the Johns Legionnaires, even though I've been reading about Johns' Legionnaires for two decades. While you can say that Johns has the responsibility for handing complex plots (though the plot of Lightning Saga was pretty thin when you really think of it and the ending of Superman and the Legion was way too pat), Shooter had to clean up Waid's plot mess. Johns' Legion just seems to be coasting on nostalgia, like a nice visit to the Legion museum for reminiscing about old friends, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they will be interesting to read on an ongoing basis. So far, they have been ciphers (Lightning Saga) and reactive to the plot events (Superman and Legion). But you can't have a universe-threatening event in every issue. At some point, you need to delve into the characters, show who they are, and have them grow.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
The news doesn't come as a surprise but I am still very disappointed. I really enjoyed the last 2 issues and so far L3W has not impressed me.

With "Titans" being so awful to read/look at, "Teen Titans" getting rid of my favorite Teen Titans Rose and "Legion being cancelled....there is really no excitement in the DC universe for me.

Only thing I am looking forward to is "Terror Titans" with Rose.

At least I will see Dream Girl again until # 50. <sigh>

From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Worst 50th anniversary EVER.

But please do recall the past 2 times LSH either sank into obscurity or was cancelled...

the first time LSH came back with the name "Dave Cockrum" attached...

the second time, we got Legion Lost and Coipel evolving into a superstar right before our eyes, and then the exciting launch of THE LEGION...

If you want to count the skipped months that preceded the 5YL era, we can.

It may take a li'l bit, but I do see big things coming.

I'm almost positive we WILL see that Levitz/Giffen 1-shot or mini.

As previously mentioned, there are still plenty of pros who want to do LSH stories. Absence of a regular series will make the desire stronger.

BIG stuff. I believe it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.