Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!? (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!?
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I was pleased that he responded to my email, and so quickly. I think it's important to let DC know that we are disappointed the series is ending and worried about whether the Legion will continue at all. As veryvery said, you don't have to get into it with Didio, just let him know that you support the Legion and want it to continue. If they get enough of those letters and emails, it will make an impression. After all, DC is a business and needs to know it has a market for its product.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Semi has it right. Good idea Brent, I think I'll take a page out of your book.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if I can do this again. :tear:
DC's canceled the Legion before and we came together to keep the Legion love alive knowing that there was a new book in the works. This time we don't have even that.

DC's Legion boards were deleted but never the less fanfic exploded during the Legion-less months, the knowledge that a book was in the works was what kept me going. Expectations were high as we anticipated Legion Lost and Legion Worlds followed by The Legion.

Eventually that book was canceled but again we knew in advance that Waid and Kitson were preparing the next installment of the life of the LSH. Several of us from Legion World had the pleasure of seeing the creators in person and did our best to help ramp up the excitement. That was fun. As it turns out it was ultimately futile.

I guess I'm being a pessimist but I really don't know if I'm going to hang in there this time. I've been buying Legion stories since I learned how to read, lots of times it's been my only reason for buying comics at all and if it goes away I just might do the same, this really could be the end for me. Without a Legion title in the market I have very little reason to go to the comic shop at all.

Damn.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I emailed Didio too, just to say I was sorry the core book was ending with #50. Legion isn't the only book I buy, but, despite its ups and downs, it's certainly one of my favourites and the one I've read for the longest time.

*sigh* They'd never do it, but it could be great fun if DC would relinquish the rights to the Legion and let the fans go wild publishing their own versions. Chaos, but we might get some good stuff out of it.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
For anyone who's in the I-don't-know-if-I-can-go-through-this-again mindset...

I know it's annoying. But, put it this way. Let's say there's a restaurant you like. Great food, friendly service, reasonable prices, the whole thing. Only problem is that they keep closing for renovations. After the fifth time of closing for renovations, would you say to yourself, "That's it. I'm never eating there again"?

I wouldn't. How would that help me? I'd be disappointed, but it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face not to eat there. Why shouldn't I enjoy the great food when it's available? What would be the benefit to me of not going there?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patch Lad
Missing in Action

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patch Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Patch Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
As I have posted in another thread, this whole thing makes me madder the more I think about it.

I have seriously considered starting some kind of campaign to bring the original LSH back (the one that Johns is using now) or at the very least, get the Legion back for sure. Something like they did with Jericho and Firefly.

What do you guys think?

--------------------
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke

From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I wrote a *real* letter to Didio rather than an email. A copy is being sent to Paul Levitz. It’s not vitriolic but it’s not supportive, either. It’s a termination notice, and will hopefully aid them in understanding the resounding negative effects the collapse of the Legion under Didio’s editorial stewardship will have on the franchise, its fans and creators, as well as its larger impact on the credibility of DC Comics and its other DCU comic book properties.

If I get a response, I’ll post it here.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I emailed him too. Don't bother. He's not listening. He sends the same response no matter what you write to him.

I wrote:

Dear Mr. Didio,

I am writing to express my disappointment at the cancellation of my favourite comic book. Yes, I know it is just a comic book, but it is one that has held my rapt attention for over 25 years. I know that you have responded to other fans by having us believe that we "will be excited and intrigued by what the new year has to offer." Could you please offer us loyal fans more assurance than these words, ie. the continuation of the series at some time in the near future?

Thank you for your time...

He responded:

Sorry that this series is coming to an end but I see so much great product for the Legion in ’09, I believe you will be excited and intrigued by what the new year has to offer. Legion Of Three Worlds will continue into January and this will clarify the status of all the Legion.

Legion has a long and storied history with the DC Universe and will continue to be a mainstay of our line.

Regards,

DD

I'm not sure he even read my email because he may not have realized that I was quoting from the response he was going to send me anyway.

Dan Didio=unoriginal and insensitive

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I know it's annoying. But, put it this way. Let's say there's a restaurant you like. Great food, friendly service, reasonable prices, the whole thing. Only problem is that they keep closing for renovations. After the fifth time of closing for renovations, would you say to yourself, "That's it. I'm never eating there again"?

My problem here is that some of the times it's closed down for renovations, it's come back with food that I don't like... After a couple years, it closed down again and started serving food more to my personal tastes, and gosh, it's really gotten good in the last year or so, but that's going away and who knows whether it will be good, so-so or just plain blech when it re-opens next time?

I've been reading Legion adventures for 30+ years, in various formats and guises, but I am by no means a compleatist and there are entire runs I avoided, only getting an issue now and again to remind myself why I wasn't getting it monthly.

It takes more than 'Legion of Super-Heroes' on the title to make me spend my money. It has to actually bear some resemblance to the Legion of Super-Heroes inside the book, too, which means (to me) young people, heroes, in a shiny amazing future (that has plenty of dark corners), not grumpy old people in a universe where everything is falling apart and it's like the last chapter of the Bible with plagues and worlds on fire and stuff.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
*sigh* They'd never do it, but it could be great fun if DC would relinquish the rights to the Legion and let the fans go wild publishing their own versions. Chaos, but we might get some good stuff out of it.

I LOVE this idea. It's obvious there are some very talented people on this board, and the situation could serve as inspiration for some creativity even with DC still in ownership of the Legion (keeping in mind copyright and trademark laws!)

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll email him and get the auto-response. I don't mind. They *must* be at least counting the number of emails they get about this, if not personally responding.

Sorry FC, I love fanfic, but I'd rather keep it as that, not offer it up as a substitute for the series proper. Speaking of which, has everyone been to Bits and checked out the SUBPLOT thread? To quote FC, "some good stuff" is happening there!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Got the canned response, but as Sketchy says, they must be counting. So that's okay, I'm glad I wrote.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, I'll shoot off an e-mail too. Maybe we ought to contact Legion creators as well, some of them have become good friends with some LW members, that might help just a little too. Mark Waid may not think highly of us (but I guarantee he knows who we are - I heard him give the web address in a speech in Dallas) though Barry Kitson has shared PMs and his time with a number of us here..that's just a "for instance".

[rant]
I wasn't trying to be a negative-nelly but I'm extremely disappointed that DC won't even try to let the book run for more than a few years at a time before canceling it and rebooting it again. It's tiring.

Part of the fun of collecting is the knowledge that some issues will eventually be rare and worth something more than you paid for it. Maybe because of the artist or the writer or the storyline or maybe there was a shipment problem and only a few issues were distributed, etc, etc. If the book is changed repeatedly then everything you bought into is rendered worthless. You can buy whole runs of the Legion for pennies on the dollar on e-bay. This isn't because DC glutted the market like Marvel did with X-titles but because TPTB don't give a damn about their customers.

Yes, I buy other titles but that's not what brings me in to the shop, the Legion does. No Legion, no motivation to drop in and spend the cash. Sure, I'll keep an eye out for what comes next and I'll probably get it when it hits the shop. I'm not making any promises though.

I dunno, I guess what I'm saying is that I've been burned by DC one too many times and I'm hardly in the frame of mind to be giving them any more extra chances. Don't think of me as being pissed off, I think of it as being run off, if they're not offering a product I want then they can't count on me to be a customer.
[/rant]

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patch Lad
Missing in Action

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patch Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Patch Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
OK, I'll shoot off an e-mail too. Maybe we ought to contact Legion creators as well, some of them have become good friends with some LW members, that might help just a little too. Mark Waid may not think highly of us (but I guarantee he knows who we are - I heard him give the web address in a speech in Dallas) though Barry Kitson has shared PMs and his time with a number of us here..that's just a "for instance".

[rant]
I wasn't trying to be a negative-nelly but I'm extremely disappointed that DC won't even try to let the book run for more than a few years at a time before canceling it and rebooting it again. It's tiring.

Part of the fun of collecting is the knowledge that some issues will eventually be rare and worth something more than you paid for it. Maybe because of the artist or the writer or the storyline or maybe there was a shipment problem and only a few issues were distributed, etc, etc. If the book is changed repeatedly then everything you bought into is rendered worthless. You can buy whole runs of the Legion for pennies on the dollar on e-bay. This isn't because DC glutted the market like Marvel did with X-titles but because TPTB don't give a damn about their customers.

Yes, I buy other titles but that's not what brings me in to the shop, the Legion does. No Legion, no motivation to drop in and spend the cash. Sure, I'll keep an eye out for what comes next and I'll probably get it when it hits the shop. I'm not making any promises though.

I dunno, I guess what I'm saying is that I've been burned by DC one too many times and I'm hardly in the frame of mind to be giving them any more extra chances. Don't think of me as being pissed off, I think of it as being run off, if they're not offering a product I want then they can't count on me to be a customer.
[/rant]

This is just the kind of thing I want to capture in a online campaign to get Didio to really take notice. I was thinking something like writing an open letter to DC, host it on a domain like bringbackthelsh.com, longlivethelegion.org (com was taken) and then have people make comments to the site about how they hate that its being cancelled etc. If we can get the other comic blogs out there to carry it, then maybe we can get enough of a following to get some notice by DC. I had a few ideas for some other things we can try, like the peanuts thing that was done for the Jericho TV show.

--------------------
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke

From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I am not personally enthusiastic about any kind of bring-back-the-Legion movement, for these reasons:

- I know they'll be back eventually. They're one of DC's basic franchises. Even if they currently don't want to bring them back at all, they would eventually change their mind and do it anyway.
- One of two things is almost certainly true. Either a) DC has a plan for what they're going to do with the Legion, in which case nothing we say is going to throw them off that plan, or b) DC doesn't have a plan for what they're going to do with the Legion, in which case nothing we say is going to help them come up with one.

Maybe I'll send them a letter anyway. But it won't be like ones that have been discussed here.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.