Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Fast Facts! Ask Cobalt... (Page 20)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  28  29  30   
Author Topic: LMB Fast Facts! Ask Cobalt...
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I've set Nasger up as a place full of magic realism and Spanish/Portuguese proverbs. The people are moderns/post-moderns in every sense of the word. Sebastian's property is in a town called Cervantes and one of his neighbors believes in Eldorado.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie,

What are the different methods of time-travel that have appeared in LMB lore? Is it commonly available throughout the entire universe; is it only availabe to the LMB ala something analagous to Time Bubbles; or is it only something that a select few (via personal powers or devices) have been able to do?

I know that there are beings like the Time Trapper Mouse and Phineas B. Fuddle who are able to intrinsically accomplish it. I'm assuming that those with Kryptonian/Daxamite/Ultra powersets can do it as well (Ultra-Matt, Dev-Em?). Yellow Kid had his spin-vortex thing. I'm assuming that Young H.G. Wells must have had a device similar to the classic "time machine".

But apart from those, how has the LMB gotten around in time?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie,

What has been established about the enigmatic LMBer CJ Taylor who is known as Enigma?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Ex, at his current levels, Dev Em could not manage Time Tracel on his own, but would be able to survive it unaaided if he was thrown through the time stream.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Cobie,

What are the different methods of time-travel that have appeared in LMB lore? Is it commonly available throughout the entire universe; is it only availabe to the LMB ala something analagous to Time Bubbles; or is it only something that a select few (via personal powers or devices) have been able to do?

I know that there are beings like the Time Trapper Mouse and Phineas B. Fuddle who are able to intrinsically accomplish it. I'm assuming that those with Kryptonian/Daxamite/Ultra powersets can do it as well (Ultra-Matt, Dev-Em?). Yellow Kid had his spin-vortex thing. I'm assuming that Young H.G. Wells must have had a device similar to the classic "time machine".

But apart from those, how has the LMB gotten around in time?

Time travel in LMB lore isn’t something that has been very defined in the past, so there is plenty of room to work with. There have been several LMBers, allies and villains that have time-traveled that help sum it up:

How the LMB time-travels
It’s been assumed the LMB has time-travel technology but that has never been clearly defined. Actually, its never been something all that important to LMB lore, and so, there is an argument to be made that the LMB does not have time bubble technology. The LMB’s inspiration, Engine Joe (the “Superman” of the LMB universe from the 20th – 21st century) was the one who time-traveled to the future, not the other way around.

The super-esque powered LMBers (Daxamites, Kryptonians, etc.) also have never shown the ability to time-travel with their powers, so I would say they do not have that ability. So Space Ranger, Ultra Matt, Dev Em, etc, probably can’t time travel on their own.

Yellow Kid has his own ability to time-travel using his powers (the spin-vortex thingy). His most famous usage of this was probably when he tried to recruit Superboy (from another universe) in “The Good, the Dark and the Dead”.

The Faraway Lad’s are like the Flashes of the LMB universe in regard to multiple worlds, being the only beings that can travel between them with their own powers. So there is a case to be made that Faraway Lad could also travel through time (I’ll leave that up to him).

There is also the idea that the magic-using LMBers can time-travel with their powers, but that’s always been something I’m not sold on.

Despite the lack of time-traveling capabilities, LMBers do find themselves traveling through time through odd means. For instance, I believe its canon that Eryk Davis Ester, Shark Lad and Cobalt Kid are all honorary members of Jason’s Argonauts in ancient Greece through a tag team a few years ago. I know I consider it Cobalt Kid canon. It’s also canon that Cobalt Kid often travels to the 41st Century to work with a young teenage superteam (I think that’s a reference by Eryk—it wasn’t by me, so I can’t remember the name of the team).

The LMB have also met the various “past versions” of themselves like the JSMBP (Justice Society of Message Board Posters) and LMB Experience, etc. The LMB History has them all written out (I’m too lazy to check).

LMB Allies
The only major LMB ally that travels through time regularly is Time Boy, who is young H.G. Wells. He travels from the 19th century to the 31st century but has all kinds of adventures in between (his wiki page has more info on him). The assumption is he figured out a way to travel from the 19th century to the 31st using 19th century tech, but destroyed it in the process. Once in the 31st Century, the LMBers gave him advanced future tech he used to create his time traveling device.

So the implication is there that the LMBers provided Time Boy with the means to time travel. One could assume this was done by the variety of super-geniuses in the LMB: Tamper Lad, Reboot, Mystery Lad, etc.

LMB Enemies
There are three major time traveling enemies of the LMB:

The first is the Time Mouse Trapper, who is like the Time Trapper in his complete mastery over time. The implication is he is so far advanced, we don’t understand how it works.

The second is Phineas B. Fuddle, whose time travel capabilities are actually quite different than just traveling through time, and I think you’ve got quite a good handle on his abilities.

The third is the Arch Duke of Time, who is Cobalt Kid’s son that was taken by the Time Mouse Trapper and raised many centuries later (the 65th Century? I have to check). He’s a bit like the Lord of Time, but its implied that his time traveling abilities come from finding a way to tap into the same methods of the Time Mouse Trapper—in other words, he only travels through time because of the TMT and wouldn’t have been able to do it on his own. I used the Arch Duke a bit in my onevisions “The Psionic Spear” and “The Horn of Undoing” after many years of just referencing him.

----------------

I may have left out some more. I know Pagan Lass and Stoopid Cat, along with Stu, have deep connections to Ancient Pre-Egypt that Abin established, but a lot of that is mainly because Pagan & Stoopid Cat were born then and lived extremely long lives to the present day.

The short answer is, time travel isn’t something easily done even in the 31st century and very few people can do it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Cobie,

What has been established about the enigmatic LMBer CJ Taylor who is known as Enigma?

The LMBer known as CJ Taylor has long been a mystery on Legion World!

Initially during his earliest days, there were claims that he was a lost clone of Eryk Davis Ester, or an Alt ID of Eryk. These claims were eventually disproven. This caused some long time LMBers with insight into other mysteries (aka, Cobie) to make a connection between CJ and the Lardy / Eryk / Lucy bloodline and theorize a possible connection.

Meanwhile, CJ's origin and powers are even more mysterious. The fact that years later the LMB still doesn't understand these things make the codename given to him, Enigma, all the more appropriate.

One might ask: what, pray tell, is it that keeps CJ such an important part of the LMB then? If no one knows his powers, and no one knows where he comes from, how has he managed to be an important part of the organiation for all these years? The answer to that, I'm afraid, is speculation. There must be at least one or more long time, highly regarded LMBers that have purposely and possibly forcibly kept CJ on the team and dismissed others questions. This high-ranking LMB has by-passed protocol and ensured CJ is well-placed in the time no matter who the leader is at any given moment.

One would think then that this long time, rule-breaking, manipulative LMBer may know something about CJ Taylor that he hasn't told the others, though he clearly has the support of the Legion World Founders and some other imporant LMBers like Spellbinder and Eryk Davis Ester.

Where would this LMBer have gotten information on CJ? If not from CJ himself, either through a high-ranking spy/security position like the Chief of Security, or even through covert operations in other cultures. Or even through an ancient discovery in a far away land by the Space Knights Templar?

Could CJ Taylor be possibly the single most important LMBer of them all?

Yes, there is a dark secret indeed in the LMB. [Big Grin] [Razz]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
...But apart from those, how has the LMB gotten around in time? [/QB]

Red Arrow/some of her family might be able to help your characters out. Like all good comic book scientists, they break the laws of physics. Not always without glitches (Red Arrow's memory problems are a direct result of inter-dimensional travel) but they do exist.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

LMB Enemies

The first is the Time Mouse Trapper, who is like the Time Trapper in his complete mastery over time. The implication is he is so far advanced, we don’t understand how it works.

The second is Phineas B. Fuddle, whose time travel capabilities are actually quite different than just traveling through time, and I think you’ve got quite a good handle on his abilities.

The third is the Arch Duke of Time, who is Cobalt Kid’s son that was taken by the Time Mouse Trapper and raised many centuries later (the 65th Century? I have to check). He’s a bit like the Lord of Time, but its implied that his time traveling abilities come from finding a way to tap into the same methods of the Time Mouse Trapper—in other words, he only travels through time because of the TMT and wouldn’t have been able to do it on his own. I used the Arch Duke a bit in my onevisions “The Psionic Spear” and “The Horn of Undoing” after many years of just referencing him.

I'll be damned if a war between these three (with the LMB caught in the middle, of course) wouldn't make for a magnificent roleplay/epic story! We gotta put that on the LMB bucket list!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
maybe due to a power vaccum created by the defeat of the Dark Lord of the Oval!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Pb has a mother box that allows him to travel through space/dimensions/time by creating a Boom Tube because of its connection to the 'source' but i prefer 'cosmic energy' or something like that rather than some sort of metaphysical nonsense. He dosn't know how to use the Mother Box, so it only occurs during times of great need like .... escaping to this lovely dimension, or pursuing the red bee.

Eventually, in maturity Pb may be able to travel through space/time on his own through energy manipulation or psionic means. very far away though.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

That's very interesting! When I roleplayed as Little Barda, she became sort of a deus ex machina because of the Mother Box. In some ways it was annoying, but in other ways it was fun because I got pull out Doom Tubes and other obscure Fourth World references.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

LMB Enemies

I'll be damned if a war between these three (with the LMB caught in the middle, of course) wouldn't make for a magnificent roleplay/epic story! We gotta put that on the LMB bucket list!
That could be a ton of fun! A lighter story arc following the heavy Novella could be a nice chance too.

Really good, fun idea!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah, we could play with alternate timelines a little more like we touched on in Thyme Crime, but more complex and involved than in that scenario. It could be fun! [Yes]

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

@ CK and LL --> SQUEEEEEEE!!
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Emily Sivana:
That's very interesting! When I roleplayed as Little Barda, she became sort of a deus ex machina because of the Mother Box. In some ways it was annoying, but in other ways it was fun because I got pull out Doom Tubes and other obscure Fourth World references.

exactly, im actually really enjoying the physical aspects of his powers, and don't really understand the tech of the mother box to write it well ... so i've kinda written it out. i like him at the power level he is ... don't want him to become a character that can basically undo everything with a wave of his hands or a pop back in time courtesy of the mother box. it is a get out of jail free card if its needed, but its more fun to try and live without it.

unfortunately, its fairly integral to his origin. [shrug]

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  28  29  30   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.