Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Fast Facts! Ask Cobalt... (Page 24)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30   
Author Topic: LMB Fast Facts! Ask Cobalt...
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the LMB/LMBP discussion. That's really a very satisfying explanation for the meaning of the name.

On the topic of social strata... it's just fascinating to me to try to imagine, and very much falls into the "world-building" that you guys have been engaged in for over a decade.

I think I tend to agree with IB on the division lines between class based on position versus those of birth.

It would seem that a "lurker" could always improve his or her standing by becoming more engaged, while the division between "Primaries" - for lack of a better term - and "Alts" is something more inherent, like no matter what they do, an Alt would always be an Alt. A Gen Char simply seems like it would be a lower substrata within the "Alt" community.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Something else: the act of "posting" would be akin to logging into the monitor board and being on duty. So essentially, posting is the time spent being a hero, saving lives and going on adventures
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The class divisions are an interesting topic, no doubt. What's unsaid and a big question is how in the world can someone tell if you're an Alt? Is it a physical characteristic? Is it like Marvel's mutants where some are obvious and some can hide it easily?
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm having a hard time understanding this system. How could all the characters know they are fictional characters without it being unrealistic?

Logically, if we went by that system than that means all cameo characters and a majority of supporting characters would be Alt-IDs or Gen-Chars, which means they would not be a minority.

I joined after making alternate identities became against the rules of this forum so therefore I cannot have Alt-IDs.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angdar Fel
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angdar Fel   Email Angdar Fel         Edit/Delete Post     
I never put any real thought into it...
Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timber Wolf
LMB Black Ops

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timber Wolf   Email Timber Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
...it just always seemed to be...
From: Doing the things that need to be done | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
...pretty self explanatory.

As far as I am concerned...it's what it is, and the alts were just other characters controlled by a main poster. I try to give mine different personalities, and their own 'voice'.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What if it was "Legion of the Monitor Board" and said Board was the most comprehensive, state-of-the-art computer of its kind, so much so that a superhero team would name itself in relation to it? Maybe, their benefactor, Engine Joe Brande patented the device and named them after it to get his creation's brand recognition out there?

I know it sounds a little too much like how corporate sponsorship is in our day and age, but it would make sense. And over time, the LMB outgrew their initial impression of being corporate shills after they proved their worth but kept the name anyway, though generally only using the abbreviation (like KFC).

Just a thought, anyway.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Getting more towards your actual question, the "Message Board" could mean a variety of things. I once discussed this with some posters here (Lardy, do you remember this conversation? Eryk may have been involved).
I believe you refer to this topic I started. (It didn't really go anywhere.)

The question of "what does the LMB stand for?" has bothered me for many years as it regards our shared universe. My previous post is my latest, spontaneous thought on the matter.

My bottom line scenario is this: if the "LMB" was an actual comic book or movie or whatever, its abbreviation would have to make sense to its audience. The concept, as it is now, just wouldn't. To me, that's pretty much the only imperfection in a fictional universe to which I take great pride in being one of its chroniclers. The "Gen-char", "lurker" and "Alt-ID" stuff is just in-jokes that could be explained away or just discarded, but the abbreviation is the core group's identity and just can't be explained as it exists now within its own continuity!

I'll shut up now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

FYI, in my mind only Lash Lad realizes he's a fictional character, though even that has only ever been very subtly hinted at.

No other characters even consider it. So "Alt ID" as we think of it cannot mean the same thing to the characters.

I'm more concerned about the group's social struggles instead of what actually makes them different.

Exnihil

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that those folks were aware of a fictional nature, just that the "meta" titles applied to them (Alt, Gen Char, lurker, etc.) would have an entirely different in-story meaning that what we (meaning the "real life" we) would traditionally use those terms to mean.

Like, for instance, the very word, "Alt", in a fictional world would seem, to me, to have a sense of "otherness" about it. As if, by its application, the implication is that they are an "alternate" type of person from a "non-alt". Not that I'm saying that the word would necessarily be a slur, mind you, but perhaps something that it's not really polite to use in mixed company.

(Dude... not cool... take it easy with the "A" word... Timber Wolf and Angdar are right above you... [Smile] )

I don't know... I might be getting into some dangerous waters here.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it might turn out to be more helpful than harmful for my story-telling purposes. I have been toying quite a bit with how the average non-LMBer views LW's government and super-villain attacks. If this is the way residents of LW see themselves and others, it could even explain a lot about the structure of Legion World and why Question Lad is kind of bitter about it.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Emily; if you'll check her Question Lad thread, she raises some interesting questions.

With the Alts and lurkers, I agree their social struggles are more important. But I think it would help if we figured out how they became Alts. Perhaps Alts can be born with... something... like they're clones, or alternate universe versions of Earth-1 counterparts that were displaced in some past crisis?

That would explain the slight stigma - they're not "really" from here. There would be no way to tell for sure whether someone is an alt, though...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:
Getting more towards your actual question, the "Message Board" could mean a variety of things. I once discussed this with some posters here (Lardy, do you remember this conversation? Eryk may have been involved).
I believe you refer to this topic I started. (It didn't really go anywhere.)

The question of "what does the LMB stand for?" has bothered me for many years as it regards our shared universe. My previous post is my latest, spontaneous thought on the matter.

My bottom line scenario is this: if the "LMB" was an actual comic book or movie or whatever, its abbreviation would have to make sense to its audience. The concept, as it is now, just wouldn't. To me, that's pretty much the only imperfection in a fictional universe to which I take great pride in being one of its chroniclers.

I only remember one time in my years that the full name "Legion of Message Board Posters" was used in-story, which was my post where Kid Marvel and Rockhopper Lad were sworn in as Leader and Deputy Leader, respectively. I'm sure there have been others, but usually it's just "LMB" or "LMBP", the latter of which seems to be used less than it once was.

Legion of Mighty Beings, perhaps? [Wink]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

This is actually a question for Lardy (but if Cobie sees it first and knows, feel free).

I haven't kept up on the whole "Lord of the Oval' story, so if this is answered there, apologies in advance, but is Kalla Hrykos blood related to your earlier character, Damyen Hrykos and, if so, in what way?

(I'm working on something you're going to dig - not a story, but something pretty cool).

--------------------

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.