Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » first time post from chris batista (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: first time post from chris batista
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Chris, Garcia-Lopez is one of my all-time faves (as is Perez)! I'd love to see either of them, or you, on an ongoing Legion book, *especially* with something close to the 80's line-up!

Also, I thought the Captain Comet issue was awesome as well. Looking forward to the Steel one!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Batista   Email Chris Batista         Edit/Delete Post     
That's a helluva nice thing to say Cobalt Kid. Garcia lopez is most definetly my idol since his early Superman covers. It's nice to be included mong such heavyweights. I think the 80's lineup would be ideal with minor additions from all Legion eras ( Kent Shakespeare, Kid Quantum etc). I would make Monel the core of the Legion as Superboy is no longer an option. I don't feel that he's really had the spotlight he deserves as the oldest legionaire.
Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
wow... Chris, more and more you make me wish you were DC's LSH guru!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Batista   Email Chris Batista         Edit/Delete Post     
I always felt that after Monel was reimagined, by the Bierbaums, as the seeder of the United Planets, he never got enough of the spotlight after that. It was an amazing addition to Legion history that really should have been at the forefront. In my last Legion story I begged the editor to let me do an update of Monel's original costume. I wish I got a chance to draw him more. I hope fans liked the update. I never liked the giant M on his chest, with the gold boots.
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I was never wild about the M, but the side-stripes fit the 90s uniforms team motif. Your classic Mon costume was definitely a sight for sore eyes. The classic costume without the little silver age panties... I hope the current versino loses them in favor of the full red pants.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Batista:
I always felt that after Monel was reimagined, by the Bierbaums, as the seeder of the United Planets, he never got enough of the spotlight after that. It was an amazing addition to Legion history that really should have been at the forefront. In my last Legion story I begged the editor to let me do an update of Monel's original costume. I wish I got a chance to draw him more. I hope fans liked the update. I never liked the giant M on his chest, with the gold boots.

i sort of get what your saying about Mon's re-boot era costume Chris, but it was different from his first one which i thought was kinda bland after some 30 years or so, personally i
really liked his Valor 20th century costume from the 90's comic book series
 -

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree Monel should get the attnetion rather than Superboy. I loved in v4 when they made him the inspiration. It just fit...he's more cosmic, etc.

You know I always thought the classic Mon-El costume was the best but it looks a bit outdated in the current Legion. Barry has given us such good costumes with a more sci-fi feel I think Mon-El may need some adjustments. More a more military type look but the same costume...if that makes sense?

To keep this Batista related...I've always loved Garcia-Lopez though I admit I forgot about him. But his latest work on that Donna Troy mini blew me away. That reminded me he is one of the greats.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

That was definetly my favevorite part of V4. Monel fits that inspirational role far too well. Not to mention the kind of maturity and guidance a thousand year old man can provide. My approach to redesigning his suit was to never stray too far from the source. I wanted a slight militiristic feeling with a bit of regality. I did like the name Valor quite a bit but felt he was written too blandly. He should be a bit of an enigma. Keep in mind that he was supposed to be even tougher than Superman.
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Chris! Happy New Year! Great to see you're still coming here answering all our questions.

Here's a weird one - are you a regular at a comic shop on 23rd and Broadway in NYC (opposite Madison Square)? I go there a lot and I occasionally see little signs saying things like "Buy this week's issue of 52 - its drawn by regular customer Chris Batista!" and stuff like that. Its a cute promo idea I think and its fun to know I may bump into you in there sometime.

I'm also interested in hearing your views on the JLA. I'm a big DC team fan and they were the first characters I was ever seriously invested in. What was it like working with Geoff Johns and Allan Heinberg on that recent Secret Society/Despero story? The sales on that arc were very good I recall. Did you feel like your profile got a huge jolt from it?

This longtime fan was also super-excited with the heroes and villains used in that arc and I loved your interpretations of them. Were they favourite characters of yours too or do you prefer members and villains from other eras? And how are you enjoying Meltzer's take on the team at the moment?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
One of whom will be getting his own series to which I am attached.I can't reveal who as I've been reading speculation about who lives or dies and that would ruin some of that and my boss would make me a eunuch.
Any word on when the new series will be announced?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

I am indeed a regular at Cosmic Comics and have been for many years. i have no doubt you've seen me there. Working with Geoff Johns and Alan Heinberg was definetly a highlight for me. Drawing the classic JLA was a blast. I'm a sucker for the classics and it did elevate my profile a bit. I loved drawing every character in it. My fave was Superman of course. I love Meltzer's take on the team. It's entirely character driven but artistically it's more suited to Rags Morales.
All I can say to you ERYK is that one of the miniseries will star someone who just came back from the dead. I unfortunatley am no longer attached due to a commitment on a Superman story. I can't wait to start.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Batista:
I unfortunatley am no longer attached due to a commitment on a Superman story. I can't wait to start.

[Frown] For no longer being attached. (I'm hoping it's Animal Man. [Smile] ) Can't wait to see the Superman story though.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Ahhh... and I was hoping for a Batista-drawn Booster Gold series... [Frown]

Oh well! The Superman story sounds groovy as well!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So am I to infer this Superman project is not an ongoing gig, Chris? If not, is there something ongoing on the horizon? I hope so...I'd love to see your stuff regularly and on an open-ended project again!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Batista
Advisor

I was actually going to do the Booster Gold mini. Who would have written in was unclear at the time.I would enjoyed drawing Booster but the Superman story came about and fell right into place with zero resistnce. I don't think any of the planned mini's go into production until all of 52 is completed. My editor asked if I had any Superman stories to tell and I did some thinking. I threw him my idea and he really dug it.I was really thrilled because I really, really loved the idea and would have been crushed if it did'nt fly. After being just a cog in the 52 machine, I really wanted to go apeshit on something I had real input on. I will be joined by my peeps Abnett and Lanning (we were supposed to do Nova together). We all love working together and share many of the same ideas. It will be a Superman Confidential story running 3 to 4 issues. It's a flashback to Superman's first encounter with the New Gods! It's a retelling of the first issue of Forever People, which guess starred Superman. Those old stories exist in a very nebulous continuity and featured the silver age Superman meeting Darkseid for the first time. We're combining it with a Jimmy Olsen story were Superman goes to New Genesis. We want to make more sense of these original tales and have them more in sync with modern age Superman. It won't just be a straight retelling. It will definetly have some new twists. I love the Fourth World characters and can't wait to play in King Kirby's sandbox. After we wrap that, we (DnA as well) are pitching a SciFi mini, featuring some of the 52 cast. We hope it'll get approved. I think you won't be disappointed if we get our way.
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.