Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Outsiders (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The Outsiders
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
OUTSIDERS #34

Uh- has Judd Winick been hanging out with Devin Grayson? I can't see that character operating quite the way he is here-- letting soldiers die, etc. The pretending-to-be-dead thing, I can see (though is *he* 'off the grid' too?). At first, I thought maybe that Arsenal was pretending to be Captain Boomerang, but I guess that is Digger's son, after all. Where's Roy? And Koriand'r?

There might be too many of these unaccounted for characters. It's starting to seem a bit of artificial suspense, IMO.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, weren't Roy and Kori in that image of potential JLA'ers?
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thunder seems to have adopted her father's costume and loses her blonde wig. Could this mean Daddy bites the dust in IC?

Don't know much about Boom Jr. but he looks great with this gang, someone who seems to really fit the bill as an "Outsider."

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I was on the bubble with this book post-1 Year Later, because I miss Jade and CM Jr and Arseenal.

But Matthew Clark's EXCELLENT art this very issue convinced me to stick around; not to mention that I really like Boomer and that young-Jay Garrick cliffhanger has me hooked (what if they have a whole clone-young-JSA? Ohmigaw!!).

Thunder's new look is GREAT!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
OUTSIDERS #37

Maybe Monsieur Mallah and The Brain should get their own comic book. They easily steal the show here, despite Superman's guest-starring turn and some interesting revelations about recent issues.

The stuff with Thunder and Shift is an unexpected twist. If only similar back-tracking could clean up the stains building up on the character of Nightwing. His little tete-a-tete with Superman really left the taste of bile in my throat. I just *can't* buy that this is Dick Grayson, who supposedly just spent a year of family time with his father, Bruce Wayne and good friend/brother figure, Tim Drake.

I really don't get what DC is doing with one of it's most popular, long-lived characters. Do they really think that readers want Jason Todd/Red Hood around at the expense of Dick Grayson? If so, I think they'll find themselves wrong.

This title is a bit maddening. There're events happening that'd have me dropping any other title, but each issue has a scene or character moment that keeps me buying.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I would not be surprised if this was supposed to be Jason Todd originally, and there were some hurried rewrites. Especially in light of the revelation at Wizard World Philly that Dick Grayson was slated to die in Infinite Crisis.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm inclined to agree with you OM. Of course, with the way they are handling Dick, I almost wish they had killed him.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure if it was Didio or Wacker in a recent Newsarama bit. But one of them mentioned that after the current arc in Nightwing, things will be getting better for Dick Grayson.

Judging from the quick, simplistic resolution of the dual-Nightwings in his own title, OM's theory is looking really good.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Nightwing here was god-awful! Too bad too, b/c I thought this was better than the previous few issues. Thunder and Metamorpho's scene was great (Todd, that's Rex if you didn't know) and Alan was actually pretty interesting.

I'd buy ten copies of a Brain and Mallah comic.

I feel like the team needs *something*. Its missing some part of the dynamic, or maybe some of the characters need to do more? Kitana could use some more spotlight and character moments.

What needs to stop though is super-heroes torturing people, as if Jack Bauer on 24 translates into the DC universe, especially Nightwing.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
This issue is just further proof that Winnick has no idea about Dick Grayson's core values or his basic concept. The conversation between him and Superman just did not jive with me.

Unless, he's gonna pull a fast one on us. Which while it is possible, is highly unlikely.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I am currently reading this entire series from a friend. I'm only on # 14. It's not as good as I thought it was going to be.

And I have a problem. Not just with Outsiders but with many comics. Why is Jade such a weakling? Besides guys with guns she's been punked by everybody else. This girl has powers of a GL?!?! But it seems if the other person has any powers at all...they are immune to her powers. I read another comic yesterday where Iron Man punches a normal human twice in the face...and the guy is still awake???

I am starting to wonder if Winick and Bendis are the same person?! Two dimensional characters that say bad words (ok Bendis' DD wasn't like that...and by that I mean Matt Murdock...the other characters were).

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

OUTSIDERS 38:

"better known by the nom de plume, Phobia..." When did Phobia become a writer?

Metamorpho as shapechanger... now that we've seen that for a couple of issues, what do you think? I don't like it-- element shifting was powerful enough. Why not use Mirage or amp-up Gypsy? I don't get it.

More Nightwing nuttiness. I think an intervention might be in order.

Pretty decent villain-getting-the-unexpected-upper-hand scene at issue's end. How this fits in with TEEN TITANS is a bit confounding. I liked the fakeout-- with Monsier Mallah and The Brain ultimately revealing their real deadliness.

DC's giving this pair quite the push, aren't they? good. Villains that combine fun and deadly are *not* a dime a dozen.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Mystery Lad, regarding the Shift/The Element Man (whatever his name is right now) as a shapeshifter? Don't care for it.

Mostly because it's just a ripoff of another Winick title and character...Morph over in Exiles. When I was Shift start acting silly like that...well it's not really the character. It's like Benjamin Grimm suddenly gets shapeshifting powers and he goes all silly like the Impossible Man. [Smile]

I hope Monsier Mallah and the Brain find true homosexual love one day and ride off into the sunset. Heck they need a mini atleast! They are so...wierd yet I can't stop watching!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I finished reading all the issues a couple of days ago. I expected this title to be better but it's certainly fun. I'm a fan of Grace for sure...and I always liked Roy Harper. I compared Winick to Bendis...(which is good and bad)...I will also compare him to Claremont (which is mostly good) and like CC his is VERY wordy. geez!

Anyways, new team? Since I don't love this title I don't mind the shake ups so much. Glad Black Lightning Girl isn't blond anymore. Nice to see Nightwing back. The new Boomerang? I like him. And I am glad Katana is around personally.

It's a kick butt title. I don't believe Nightwing would go for the torture stuff personally.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

OUTSIDERS 39:

Lordy, M'sieur Mallah tickles me. His little tap-dancing conversation with The Brain was fun! Aptly strange, yet cute, in a demented sort of way.

And his one-by-one predator-playing-with-his-prey psychological torment of his captives... *this* is why villains capturing super-heroes and holding them in weird bondage poses is a *good* thing. Love the way he messed with Thunder's head, especially. That was a bit of a jawbreaker!

What I didn't like? The clones-- who/what/why *are* they? Is the wind one a clone of WINDFALL? Is that PLASTIC MAN or his clone? Should I recongnize the fiery one, or the amphibian one, or the bug-winged one? I liked their visuals-- they just need personalities and names to go with them. I'm forgetting the clone business here, I suppose. They're probably 'mayflies' that'll be around for just this storyline.

The SHIFT bit is interesting-- and I'm curious about what'll happen to KATANA... and about just who GRACE's 'people' are.

Still, what's good isn't quite good enough to overcome the poor use of NIGHTWING-- though that's not really a factor in *this* particular issue.

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.