Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » THE WALKING DEAD tv show (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  50  51  52   
Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD tv show
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just watched the first episode again. Even more impressed with it the second time around. Morgan and Duane should get their own show. Those two were just awesome. I'd love to see them come back into the series earlier and under different circumstances (those of you who read know what aI mean.)

So looking forward to tomorrow night and episode 2. Andrea and Glen in action. So geeked for this show!!! I want the DVD for season 1 now!!!

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I just watched it and really enjoyed it. I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't been familiar with the comic since I spent the whole time comparing the two, but it was still really good.

The production/design/visuals/sound effects side was the most impressive part to me. Some seriously excellent (and undoubtedly expensive) work done there.

I was slightly disappointed by the opening credits though. True Blood has a MUCH better opening and even that fan-made one that was floating around a few weeks ago was better. I especially hate how only three of the actors get faces with their names. A weird choice for what is obviously an ensemble storyline.

While I'm nit-picking - I didn't like the song choice at the end either. Either as a piece of music in general or one suited to the scene. That was a big surprise to me too because normally Darabont is spot-on with his music choices and the Walker Brothers song in the trailer was perfect. But hating that song kinda ruined the ending for me. [Frown]

I liked the way this opening chapter just concentrated on Rick, Morgan and Duane though - introduces us to the world and setting through more focused eyes before we start meeting all the other characters.

Responding to Dev Em above, I'm going to have give away some spoilers from the comic while I compare my predictions of where the show is going to where the book went (so don't click on this box if you haven't read the book) -

Click Here For A Spoiler OK, so we all know that when we next meet Morgan and Duane, Duane is a zombie and Morgan can't bring himself to kill him. It occurred to me that that whole drama/storyline/character-crisis-of-conscience was played out here with the wife and his inability to shoot her. Doing it again later with his son would just seem like a retread for these characters IMO. So that is one departure from the comic I definitely hope to see them make.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Blacs, I think the Morgan/Duane sitch they set up in the show perfectly sets up their return down the line to follow the comic (with MUCH more pathos, esp. if Morgan's actions in episode 1 were the reason why-- Well, spoliers omitted). So in this case I kinda hope they follow the comic!

I actually liked the ending song!

But-- I *totally* agree with you re: only 3 of the cast having pictures in the opening credits. I am a FOOL for pics in the opening credits (plus it lets me learn who the actors' real names are) so I do hope this is altered to include all the current characters. The only reason I can think that it wouldn't is because either the cast is going to change FAST or this was a "pilot"/first ep so they weren't sure at the time if it was even going forward and didn't bother. I really do hope this changes!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I felt like the thing with Morgan and Duane was definitely setting up what would happen later when Rick comes back for them. But I wouldn't be upset if things play out differently.

Blacula, I would strongly encourage you to post more spoilery speculation, such as what you bring up here, on the TWD comics thread on Gym'll's. IMO, it's just more appropriate there since there are probably a number of people here experiencing TWD for the first time on TV.

No offense intended!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
None taken. [Smile]

But I don't read the comics thread until a new TPB is out - and only then up to the page/post that concerns the latest issue in the TPB. So I'm perpetually behind in that thread and don't go into it much for fear of spoilers.

The other reasons I posted it here are because -

a) there may be people in that thread who aren't watching the show (I know I wouldn't have been able to see it unless my friend illegally downloaded it) so talking about the show in that thread might be spoiling it for them.

and

b) my spoiler is directly related to where I think the show is going and the writing/directing choices that I think the showrunners will make - and that just seemed more appropriate to this thread.

As a person who HATES spoilers I appreciate your effort to keep this thread spoiler-free CT, but I think some things will inevitably end up being discussed (especially as the show starts departing from the comics as the writers have said it will). Hopefully when that happens people can remember to use spoiler boxes in their posts like I did.

Speaking of which -

Click Here For A Spoiler You and Lash probably should have used these boxes when you mentioned that we'd be seeing Morgan and Duane again. [Wink]

And getting back to them - unless the show goes in the opposite direction the comic did and has Morgan gather the strength to kill zombie-Duane, I can't see how following what the comic did there will be anything but a retread for his character. We've already seen him go through the anguish of losing a family member to the plague and then trying and failing to make himself put them out of their 'misery'. Seeing that happen again later would just be spinning wheels with this character.

You guys could be right in that the zombie-wife sets us up for zombie-Duane later on but if so, the only way I can see that working from a writing/character standpoint is if they change it so that he does finally gather the strength to kill him.

Now that I think about it, I agree with you both - the writers are setting us up for that scene. But with the opposite outcome. I wonder what that will mean for Morgan's character though - since that failure to kill Duane seems to be a pretty defining part of his character (at least in where I've read up to so far).

[ November 07, 2010, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

yeah CeeTee, no sense in driving ourselves nuts over spoilers... maybe it's the decade-plus message board poster in me (which I know you can match me for to practically the day) but I feel like posters have got to be more spoiler-savvy these days.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

I actually liked the ending song!

Me too. I did some hunting and found out it was "Space Junk" from Wang Chung! I never would have guessed it was them.

I think the only part of the song that can be related to TWD would be the two chorus lines

Welcome to my world
Welcome to my only world

Panning up from the tank, showing this is the way things are now. This is the new reality.

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the ending song was alright as it brought a litle more lighter tone to the ending of the show. Rick was pretty much at the end of it all, and then this voice comes out of nowhere giving him hope, and showing him that there are other survivors out there.

If they went with something darker, there would have been little to look forward to...as it kinda set the tone for me with whats coming. Not that everything is going to be fun and roses...but that he is going to find more survivors...giving him some hope that he can get out of his current situation and hook up with some others.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Lyrics tot the song Space Junk by Wang Chung. Actually, looking at them, the song is more appropriate and more inspired then it seems at first glance. If you want to read a bit into the possible mwanings that one could find.

At least to me.

(lyrics below)

Yeah

Drifting down the spaceway
By the Betelgeuse Hotel
Mapping out constellations
Of the place I know so well
Sifting through the system
For the piece that knows my name
Endlessly I listen, in the master game

Chorus:
Welcome to my world
(Welcome to my world)
Welcome to my only world
(Welcome to my only world)
It is full of space junk
But your words are coming through
I'm riding on the space junk
And it's bringing me to you
Bringing me to you

Through the tenth dimension
To the certainties beyond
Dreamily inattention, and the sub-atomic bomb
Machine that spins within me
And the spirit that drives me on
Searching for an answer

Repeat Chorus with ad lib

Sitting on the space junk
What I am to do
Riding on the space junk
My head is full of space junk
But your words are coming through
Riding on the space junk
It's bringing me to you (Repeat)

Dev - Em
KIA

Glenn rocked the show this week. Great casting for Andrea and the rest of the comics crew so far, at least from what we've seen.

Massive deviations from the book this week, but it's all good so far. I like some of the added characters alright so far, but consider them mostly fodder.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

SPOILER-O-RAMA! SHOW and early issues of COMIC mentioned in this post

The scene with them walking amongst the zombies was straight from the comic and was wildly succesful for me... NERVE-WRACKING!

LOVE Andrea and Glenn, and Rick is PERFECTLY cast.

T-Dog, Morales and Jacqui? Meh. I will have to warm up to them. Or might not bother... they feel like zombie-fodder to me...

HATE the racist asshole. Not crazy about this addition.

Lori is just bitchy enough to be perfect so far. Dale is AWESOME! The guy with Dale working on the truck-- is that the guy from the first arc who decides he wants to come back as a zombie to reunite with his family? Sure looked like him!

This ep had me on the edge of my seat!!

Overall I am *VERY VERY* pleased!!!

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

That was Jim (I think that was his name)...or at least he looks just like what I pictured he would.

Just checked IMDB, and Jim is indeed casted in the series...so I would say that it is who you think it is.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Wow... excellent casting of the comic characters here! Props to the casting department for SURE--!

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Much lovefor the sewer walkerin todays episode...rat...the other live meat.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

OOoh-- forgot to mention:

How do you guys feel about the zombies using ROCKS to smash that window? I'm not sure how much I like this.

--------------------

This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  50  51  52   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.