Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » THE WALKING DEAD tv show (Page 30)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  50  51  52   
Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD tv show
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Emotionally, it does top the Lost reveal. One of the best emotional moments on television in a while for me.

I don't know about shock value though...it's close, but I thought there was a chance that Sophia might be in the barn. Or at least I thought it would be really wild if she ended up being right there the whole time...

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The reveal of the 'rubber man' identity in American Horror Story was more shocking to me. In fact, that show regularly has shocking reveals.

As for the Sophia revelation, I think I am less shocked by it because it was just perfect symmetry. And, actually- someone on the EW board had speculated she'd be coming out of that barn in the last scene the morning the episode aired, and that might have softened the surprise for me. No doubt that it was one of the most unforgettable scenes!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hm. I haven't watched AHS yet. It's been on the edge of my radar, but I keep forgetting about it. It's an ongoing story, as opposed to a new story every week/Twilight Zone-type thing, right?

However, I would say that if a show truly has a "shocking reveal" practically every ep, it might kinda dull their impacts. Pure speculation, though.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Emotionally, it does top the Lost reveal. One of the best emotional moments on television in a while for me.

I don't know about shock value though...it's close, but I thought there was a chance that Sophia might be in the barn. Or at least I thought it would be really wild if she ended up being right there the whole time...

It's a very different critter, as the Lost moment was pretty much a "OMG! Nothing is what I thought it was! Where do they go from here?" kind of moment, where this was more a surprise with strong emotional consequences kind of shock.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:

It both shocked me AND touched me emotionally. In hindsight I know I should have expected it, but the misdirection absolutely worked on me! The reactions of the other characters really drove it home for me, as did the disbelief that the show would drastically alter the fate of a character from the book like it did.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
AHS is one ongoing story with lots of awesome flashbacks telling the history of the house and people who have lived and died therein.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[QUOTE]It's a very different critter, as the Lost moment was pretty much a "OMG! Nothing is what I thought it was! Where do they go from here?" kind of moment, where this was more a surprise with strong emotional consequences kind of shock.

I know...there are big differences, but the common denominator for me was my overall shock level. Certainly, they resonate in different ways and push different buttons in the viewer, but both definitely share a "GOTCHA!" vibe.

(Am I right in thinking that the flashforward reveal was Lost's biggest shock, at least?)

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I should have separated out the emotional moment from the Lost comment. It was meant for the Sophia reveal.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:

(Am I right in thinking that the flashforward reveal was Lost's biggest shock, at least?)

I'm actually not sure about that. Libby being shot would also be a contender. There are other contenders, such as Libby's being shot.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
For me, the big Lost shocker occurred early on when we leaned Locke was in a wheelchair and could walk again. Libby being shot was another big one. For whatever reason, the Jack flash-forward moment was never as mind-blowing to me as it's been to others.

So the Sophia moment has it beat in the way you're describing.

Other shockers for me that might have it beat include AMC's other great series, Breaking Bad and the end to season 3. I won't ruin it for those that have never seen it. In Veronica Mars season 2 finale we get a SHOCKING revelation to a subplot we thought long tied up that is emotionally devastating--just like Sophia leaving the barn but perhaps more so. And in Deadwood when Bullock's step son is surprisingly killed in a freak episode I was shocked and emotionally knocked for a loop--perhaps the saddest and most surprising tv death for me ever.

So, er, all potential bigger shockers and all the company that the Sophia moment belongs in, which is my way of saying I'd rank it among the best of all time.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:

I'm actually not sure about that. Libby being shot would also be a contender. There are other contenders, such as Libby's being shot.
Twice for emphasis, eh? [Big Grin]

Well, in my case I already knew Libby was a goner because I started watching Lost regularly with Season Three. It was a sad moment to experience on DVD (after already having seen S3) but Libby's and Ana Lucia's deaths seemed consistent with the other previous deaths of Boone and Shannon and the later death of Mister Eko--all kind of sudden and having degrees of senselessness to them. Libby's was probably the most painful and heartfelt of all of those, though.

I think the later major deaths on Lost were somewhat less shocking but higher on the emotional scale than most of these.

Sophia wasn't a character we knew very well at all, but seeing the other characters invest so much time and emotion into finding her really made that reveal pay off in a big way. I was really affected by Carl having to witness the whole thing and Lori doing her best to comfort him, even as she herself was devastated by it all.

--------------------

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with others in that I found it compelling, but not shocking. You want shocking, the reveal of the killer in Twin Peaks and the events that followed moments later, that was shocking.

The prominent suicide in Battlestar Galactica was pretty shocking, as was the reveal of the "Four".

Henry's Death on MASH was certainly a game changer.

As for Lost, I'd say Echo's death was pretty shocking for me, as I was attached to the character and wasn't aware the actor had asked to be let go.

American Horror Story is only on episode 4 in Canada, I hadn't even considered "Rubber man" had an identity beyond a manifestation of the house. I'm intrigued now.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:

The prominent suicide in Battlestar Galactica was pretty shocking, as was the reveal of the "Four".

There were quite a few moments like that in this series. Maybe not to the extent of the suicide...but there were plenty of twists and turns along the way.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Henry's Death on MASH was certainly a game changer.

One of the best season endings of all time. Totally gut wrenching.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah, I was waiting for someone to mention the M*A*S*H shocker. I didn't watch that one as a kid, but I can understand the sentiment. A great show and a great moment.

The Battlestar suicide...definitely shocking. It staryed with me for a while after watching the ep. I liked that character but never really knew him or her like I did some of the others. kinda lessened the impact somewhat for me. Of course, you could argue that this moment showed exactly how little we knew the character.

Again, we didn't know Sophia much at all either, but TWD set us up masterfully to care about her through her effect on the others. I think it was a really effective arc with the set-up and eventual pay-off.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Of course, I was the kid who watched "Psycho" and was totally shocked and surprised (and fairly creeped out!) by the ending! [Yes] [Embarrassed]

--------------------

This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  50  51  52   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.