Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » THE WALKING DEAD tv show (Page 28)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  50  51  52   
Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD tv show
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
quote:
Originally posted by evil MLLASH tot:

Putting myself in Herschel's shoes, I would be ENRAGED at what Shane has done. The Otis thing was bad enough (and I still contend was unnecessary as the walkers would have gotten him anyway).

Actually Shane was more hurt/limping than Otis. If it was really a "only one of us gets out of here" scenario, Otis was the logical choice to keep trucking while Shane slowed them down. But Shane was in "it's him or me" mode at that point.
Limping Shane was outpacing Otis anyway. Otis unhurt still could not keep up with limping Shane...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Despite my misgivings, the last scene WAS a brilliant reversal, as it showed beautifully how both Herschel and Shane were wrong.

Shane, pretty cruelly, demonstrated the "reality" of the walkers to Herschel, but then Sophia brought Herschel's point back equally hard on Shane. Shane had no problem getting his hate on and blowing away faceless walkers without any compassion, as they weren't Herschel's family to him, but "things". Then Sophia turns up, the shoe's suddenly on the other foot and Shane's frozen out and the group falls apart.

Rick's the only one to man up and put Sophia down, not because he wants to or because he's filled with hate, but because it's what needs to be done. It was a perfect echo of the scene with the crawling walker in the very first episode ("I'm sorry this happened to you..."). Rick has compassion and respects who the Walker's used to be. It's not a casual thing to dispatch them, but it is necessary. That empathy is what sets him above Shane.

I totally agree. February should be very interesting!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Despite my misgivings, the last scene WAS a brilliant reversal, as it showed beautifully how both Herschel and Shane were wrong.

Shane, pretty cruelly, demonstrated the "reality" of the walkers to Herschel, but then Sophia brought Herschel's point back equally hard on Shane. Shane had no problem getting his hate on and blowing away faceless walkers without any compassion, as they weren't Herschel's family to him, but "things". Then Sophia turns up, the shoe's suddenly on the other foot and Shane's frozen out and the group falls apart.

Rick's the only one to man up and put Sophia down, not because he wants to or because he's filled with hate, but because it's what needs to be done. It was a perfect echo of the scene with the crawling walker in the very first episode ("I'm sorry this happened to you..."). Rick has compassion and respects who the Walker's used to be. It's not a casual thing to dispatch them, but it is necessary. That empathy is what sets him above Shane.

Fantastic insight into the final sequence and what that told us about Shane, Herschel and Rick.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Have to feel real bad for Herschel; since the travelers showed up, his farm sanctuary has been totally up-ended and much of what he had previous has been lost (Otis, his Walker relatives and friends).

It would not surprise me if a heart attack or something completes the tragedy.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally saw The Talking Dead from last night. Things from the show are below:

Kirkman himself said that Otis was the one that put the walkers in the barn, and that once he died they were the ones that had to do it now. This may mean that nobody else on the farm knew about Sophia...not that that would stop Shane from going postal on him. The last part is my thought...

They said that it was indeed a turning point for Rick...and the fallout of that would be seen.

Kirkman is not opposed to having Darryl show up in the comic...but his plans that are already set kind of make it really difficult.

Kirkman wants Michonne in the show...to at least stop people from asking him when she is going to show up.

Kirkman also says that killing characters in the book is easier, and there are times when he just does it without thinking through it to much. On the other hand, killing characters on the show is harder, because it essentially firing a cast member...which he doesn't really want to do.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Breaking from keeping the TV show and comic separate for a moment-- Michonne's arrival has the potential to be one of TV's finest moments, and I DO hope they use that!!

SPOILER FROM SNEAK PEEK OF NEXT EPISODE:

The sneak peek for next episode I saw last night definitely shows that Herschel was unaware of Sophia being in the barn.

Herschel is as fascinating on-screen as he is in the comic.

Dave's previous post about that final scene will stay with me for a long time... and explains in words what made the episode a winner so very well.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Like Hershel, I was SO tensed up during that final scene even BEFORE the final reveal! I gotta admit, they really surprised me with that one. I should've recognized all the misdirection going on, but I fell into the "they're gonna find her alive!" camp after daryl reinforced the Cherokee rose bit. As the episode neared its end run, I thought, "I guess they'll leave that for the second half of the season."

When it first showed those little legs, I was thinking, "is that Mrs. Hershel?" But as the camera slowly panned up, I recognized the clothes. I think I realized it before my wife when I yelled, "oh my god--that's Sophia!"

Most shocking moment on a TV show I've seen in a long time--probably the most shocking since the moment I realized Jacks 'flashback' at the end of Lost season three was actually a flashforward. I think this one tops that one in its sheer emotional impact.

For a second there, I thought Carol might run to Sophia and get bitten by her--something that would echo a scene in the book. Powerful, powerful scene that effectively completed the half-season and set up some real conflict for February to pick up on.

This is one terrific season and series, and I would have to disagree with those who feel it was "slow" or not as compelling as the first. The character development has been outstanding, IMO!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:

For a second there, I thought Carol might run to Sophia and get bitten by her--

I *definitely* thought this was going to happen-- and am glad it didn't! I actually hope to see Carol and Darryl form a relationship now!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I was actually expecting something like that to happen at the end, only with Sophia coming out of the woods. I never thought about her being in the barn.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Also, I'd have to agree with Dev that Shane's point of view DID make a lot of sense within the context of a zompocalypse. However, I'd have to say that Dale's did as well. (Good, tense scene between the two, btw!)

The ultimate tie-breaker, though, is what Shane did to Otis. I'd rather be following a principled, human Rick than a cold, detached Shane. (I mean, how long before Shane would turn on me?) I love how the show is exploring this dichotomy in much greater detail than they did in the comics. It was there even then but probably resolved too soon.

Loving Carl this season, as well. Loved that he got to cuss and get in Shane's face a little! makes me kinda hope that things end between the two eventually as it did in the books.

But, as this episode proves, you can't count on things working out like they do/did in the source material--and I'm glad for it!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

EDE- are you reading the comic or trades yet and if so, how far along are you?

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
No, not yet.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by evil MLLASH tot:
EDE- are you reading the comic or trades yet and if so, how far along are you?

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
No, not yet.

*DISlike*

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
One thing to remember here, is that while we know what Shane did, the characters in the show do not. We can make a more fully informed decision on who we would rather follow, but the characters cannot.

It does set up a great situation where, in classic horror movie fashion, we can yell at the screen "don't trust him!!! He's going to kill you!!!"

Another thought I just had is this. Dale saw Shane line up Rick in his sights, and has said as much to Shane. He also seems more than willing to get up in everybody's business. Then why the hell has he hot said anything to Rick. "Oh, by the way Rick...the guy you trust with your life was banging your wife while you were 'dead' and came this close to shooting you in the back - literally."

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this info comes out now, since Dale's last encounter with Shane went so piss-poorly.

--------------------

This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  50  51  52   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.