Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised) (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Legion of Three Worlds was in fact a continuity mess in several areas. Bringing *back* the Emerald Empress was one of them. You can't blame Paul for ignoring that she was alive, when the fact that she was even shown as being alive already ignored her death.

(And it's not just that Johns was continuing from before the end of V3 either. He also had Tharok and Validus back.)

Johns said all along that his break off point was Crisis on Infinite Earths so as well as bringing back the Empress and Validus Johns also wrote out the Death of Superboy and its sequel conspiracy. Tharok was brought back in COIE so I suppose it was consistent Johns bringing him back as well.

Personally I thought Johns was right and Levitz's overturning was a mistake but that is just an opinion.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
I think even if you keep in stuff past Crisis the break point should be the death of Superboy. There is no real way to make stuff after that fit since the pocket U Superboy no longer exists. I have to agree Levitzs mad a mistake on this one.
From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimeTrapR           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Legion of Three Worlds was in fact a continuity mess in several areas. Bringing *back* the Emerald Empress was one of them. You can't blame Paul for ignoring that she was alive, when the fact that she was even shown as being alive already ignored her death.

(And it's not just that Johns was continuing from before the end of V3 either. He also had Tharok and Validus back.)

Johns said all along that his break off point was Crisis on Infinite Earths so as well as bringing back the Empress and Validus Johns also wrote out the Death of Superboy and its sequel conspiracy. Tharok was brought back in COIE so I suppose it was consistent Johns bringing him back as well.

Personally I thought Johns was right and Levitz's overturning was a mistake but that is just an opinion.

Problem with John's version was he kept Karate Kid alive but had Projectra be Sensor Girl. His "Faux Pau" left the continuity gate pretty much wide open.

In today's day and age even.

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
no KK being alive was explained that the founders found a way to resurrect him. Jeckie could still be sensor girl and val could have been resurrected after that. She rejoined as Sensor Girl in issue 14 that was before Crisis Occurred. First Post Crisis Legion issue was 19. So he didn't make a mistake at all.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

Yeah, off panel (an after-thought?). Sorta like "oops , that's right Karate Kid was dead pre-Crisis. "

But again, the notion of Johns's intent on when the Legion was supposed to be continued from was never revealed in print.

Just goes to show how mixing creator interviews with published work can be more confusing than what is actually published.

Taking away from the equation the idea that they were supposed to be "pre -Crisis" set forth by an "interview" or "internet rumor", you still have a fully functional team continuing from "Magic Wars".
And as a reader, one of the main "faux paus" to get over is the Karate Kid factor.
Was he brought back simply to die in "Countdown"? As a goofy cliff hanger for Batman to find disguised as Trident?
Whatever, if any long term idea Johns had for the character was never developed and most of his back story happened off panel or in an online message brd.
That's pretty weak. And certainly left a wide open gate for Levitz to just shrug it off and continue from his last run without so much a mention to something like, "the founders utilized the same life giving method from Daxam used on Lightining Lad years ago, on Karate Kid's charred body" etc.

Sounds pretty contrived to me.

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*delete*

[ December 21, 2011, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*delete*

[ December 21, 2011, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

THis is how I have always understood the Legion's take on the 20th Century.

They are not interested in the minutia of the past, they are simply aware of "events" happening or allegedly happening.
Like we are aware of the "Legends" of certain events and people from thousands of years ago but have no real way of knowing what actually occured or what really motivated William Wallace or King Aurthur, etc.
The main problem is when we want to think that the "present" comic stories HAVE to map out literally to the 30th Century.
Its illogical to think so.
From a broader sense, the notion that the Legion was visiting a manufactured past is more useful and leaves the canvas of the present DCU future ( pre or post Crisis/Flashpoint/whatever) more open.
Especially in a present (now) where the future is fluid and the idea of alternate realities has found it's way to the common lexicon.
It seems that in the 30th Century they are aware of their ever changing historical knowledge.
Which is just as true in real life as in the comics.

gone
gone

*delete*

[ December 21, 2011, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: gone ]

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
So, will there be a new edition of this thread? Because all the answers (few though they were) that we got are now unanswered due to the re-launch.

The Legion is going to be one of the least rebooted of DC's series. So I created a separate section for new-DCU connections, but I didn't get rid of anything else.

It's true that things that don't fall under "other DC Universe connections" may still change (if only because even many of the ones that aren't about DC universe connections still appeared in other DC universe books). I may have to say things like "resolved differently in old DCU and new DCU" or "resolved in old DCU, but this may no longer apply because..."

If anyone has better suggestions for how to handle it, feel free to speak up. I don't, however, think that a completely new thread is a good idea, because a lot of the items will be the same in old and new DCU. Maybe a separate section for "this inconsistency comes from another DCU title and so may not necessarily apply any more". Or maybe I can just use a different color for items that are probably not part of new DCU continuity. One problm with this is that if post-Crisis is any precedent, DC will do a *lot* of not talking about things and leaving people hanging for years.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
While we're at it, was the panel with XS from Adventure #1 ever used as part of Flashpoint? Geoff Johns worked on Flashpoint, and XS was in it, so it is possible.
Ken Arromdee
Active

Nobody knows the answer to that XS question? Come on....

Another question for the fan historians: I need to know all the times that Tyroc's home Marzal is referred to as a planet in V6. Does anyone have the references?

Ken Arromdee
Active

Added Jim Lee's statement that the purple hooded woman is a new character (and thus not Glorith).
gone
gone

*delete*

[ December 21, 2011, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: gone ]

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by NoLongerLegion:
How about the fact that Jan, who had the power and skill to down hundreds (if not thousands) of Daxamites without killing them, now can't stop 1 Daxamite?

Different circumstances. In GDS he created more lead in the atmosphere to poison (slightly) the unprotected Daxamites. In the recent issue, the Daxamite has the Anti-lead serum and it's too complex/minute for Jan to manipulate while in his bloodstream.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.