Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised) (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Luornu in Countdown/Legion of Three Worlds -- Countdown killed "Una", whose name and lack of powers implies that that was her last body. Legion of Three Worlds later showed a surviving Luornu who said she was Duo Damsel until a body died in the 21st Century (i.e. Countdown) meaning it was not her last body. (Countdown is notorious for mistakes to the extent that it's hardly part of continuity any more and this could just have been fixing a mistake.)

Actually, if I recall correctly, in the Supergirl tie-in to Countdown, Lu tells Kara that her other body is back in the 31st (I recall her telling someone that. Pretty sure it was Kara).

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Supergirl -- Supergirl #52 revealed that Brainy still remembers Supergirl's death and probably most of her tenure with the Legion. He assumes the modern Supergirl is her (from before her death but after she joined the Legion) and blames Supergirl's lack of memory on Saturn Girl's post-hypnotic suggestion to forget the future. Whether the modern Supergirl is the same as the one who joined the PB/JB Legion and will die in our future is unknown and may be resolved in Supergirl Annual 2.

Also - Querl mentions (in thoughts) that he is carefully telling Kara only certain things, and behaving a certain way - based upon what she had told him of that very team-up.

that basically clinches that she is the same Kara he knew.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
This may be a fairly minor, easily dealt with thing, but I noticed it when I was reading the issue:

Saturn Girl says something in this issue about never having been religious, but she and Garth baptized Graym on Titan in v3 #16.

that might have been simply bowing to family traditions. plenty of people go through the motions, especially for key life rituals, but don't consider themselves religious.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
As I suggested [Smile] :

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

a) She participates in religious customs, without considering herself particularly religious.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Fun thread! Although we need someone to start a thread on the character aspects of the new Legion, just to balance the AR aspect of this thread!

On KK and Lu in JLA, JSA and Countdown: I think it was made pretty clear somewhere along the way that these two were somehow snatched out of time immediately prior to their deaths for their mission to the past, which is why, at the end of the Lightning Saga, they are forbidden to return to the future. The why and how of this seems iffy to me, although I guess you could argue that Val, at least, was critical to the Lightning Saga (catching Bart Allen in a bottle...rod) and Brainy wouldn't let a little thing like death get in the way of a mission (and the Legion was overtaxed and short-handed at that time because of the JLE thing).

Also, on the excellent Legion of Substitute Podcasters interview with Levitz, he's clear that we read too much into Imra's TK poses and claims about religion. He noted that he's Jewish but willingly participated in the baptism of his 3 kids into his wife's faith.

More annoying to me at the moment is the status of the Legionnaires' homeworlds and whether they are "aliens" or mutated human colonists. Saturn Girl refers to Titan as a "colony" in Legion #1 when a month earlier it was the resettlement site of the Lanothians.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
More annoying to me at the moment is the status of the Legionnaires' homeworlds and whether they are "aliens" or mutated human colonists. Saturn Girl refers to Titan as a "colony" in Legion #1 when a month earlier it was the resettlement site of the Lanothians.

I don't sweat stuff like this.

It could be as simple as that J'emm's people never let Titanians forget that they were not indigenous to Titan,

Or

The original Lanothian population was joined by a larger Earth colonist population, and blending over time retained a world-view that traced itslineage more to Earth than to Lanoth (or whatever that world was called),

Or

Within entrenched Lanothian culture, any settlement away from the homeworld is still thought of as a colony, and there is still yearning for an ancestral place that exists only in collective memory,

Or

any number of other things

This is a perfect example of why I myself prefer just to enjoy the story and not worry too much about little things like that. There are bound to be a few inconsistencies.

No character (Imra, or anyone else) is going to think of her own history the way her ancestors experienced it. There is always blurring into mythology over time; details are lost, parts are invented.

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
On KK and Lu in JLA, JSA and Countdown: I think it was made pretty clear somewhere along the way that these two were somehow snatched out of time immediately prior to their deaths for their mission to the past

But they died in Lightning Saga. How could they be snatched from before their deaths so that they could die in a different way?

Also, Luornu, at the point where she reveals she can split into a lot of bodies, makes a reference that sounds an awful lot like one of her bodies died in Countdown.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Also, on the excellent Legion of Substitute Podcasters interview with Levitz, he's clear that we read too much into Imra's TK poses and claims about religion. He noted that he's Jewish but willingly participated in the baptism of his 3 kids into his wife's faith.

These two snippets, of course, tie together interestingly.

Winathians are now 'aliens' and not human colonists. Titanians are now 'aliens' and not human colonists.

Which of them is Catholic, again?

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Modified to add a mention of the date inconsistency in Adventure #12, as well as Dev-Em.
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
There are any number of fun possibilities to resolve these discrepancies, but I doubt they would be worth a story. One could imagine, for instance, that at some point the Lanothians "convinced" themselves they were an Earth colony--maybe during a period when Earth was aggressive, or just really, really cool. It's not at all unusual for ethnic groups to have completely fictitious origin stories -- like the Romans with Aeneas, Romulus and Remus, the Romanians with the Dacians. And if anyone could pull off such self-deception, it's telepaths. Or, as you all point out, the Titanians may have always thought of themselves as a colony, a people displaced from their true home, and not necessarily welcome to the Saturnians.

As to the Catholicism thing, on word: Evangelism!

And the KK/Lu thing: I didn't mean to imply that the official explanation made ANY sense. I just repeated the official explanation. I gave up on Countdown a few issues in, and don't feel any need to defend it. The Lightning Saga is another matter, since it's important to the new book's backstory.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Do you have a reference and a quote for them having been snatched from the past? I don't have any issues of Countdown.

Of course, even with such a quote, it still makes no sense, because then they couldn't be killed off a second time.

Ken Arromdee
Active

Added a line about Batman not recognizing Karate Kid in Countdown. Note: I don't have the issue myself so other people will need to confirm it.
Ken Arromdee
Active

Added a reference to Saturn Queen, Echo, and Beauty Blaze being in Lo3W. This technically isn't something that happens offscreen, but it's sort of a special case.

I do need to know if and how we can be sure that those aren't alternate timeline versions, however. If they are, they don't count and Saturn Queen's first appearance is now, while we haven't seen the others at all.

Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
This is soooo helpful! Thank you!

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Changed the paragraph about reboot and threeboot crossovers--Action #864 establishes that at least some of them happened.
Ken Arromdee
Active

Next edit: mentioning the inconsistency about whether Titanians come from Lanoth or Earth.
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.