Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Need A Legion Reference? Post Here (Page 19)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 67 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  65  66  67   
Author Topic: Need A Legion Reference? Post Here
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok that explains things. When I got back into comics I told myself I wanted to only buy Legion and Legion related titles. I passed on the whole crisis countdown series thing because I had just gotten back into things and thought any Legion appearance would be minimal at best. That and I haven't really put the big picture together with what has happend with Legion since about 1980. You know, in regards to different titles, the first crises (how many crisis series have there been anyway?) reboots, etc. People have tried to explain it to me but having started so late in the game its hard to understand all the rules.

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Superboy and Mon-el can fly fast enough to break the time barrier. My understanding is that it is assumed that you need to travel faster than the speed of light to accomplish this.

Were Ultra Boy or Wildfire ever shown to be capable of breaking the time barrier based on their own flight capability?

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It's specifically stated in the Jeckie/Val wedding issue that Ultra Boy cannot break the time barrier by himself. It has something to do with his lack of ability to be invulnerable at the time he's using his super-speed.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
It's specifically stated in the Jeckie/Val wedding issue that Ultra Boy cannot break the time barrier by himself. It has something to do with his lack of ability to be invulnerable at the time he's using his super-speed.

I didn't think of that, it makes perfect sense that he would need to be invulnerable at the same time. Thanks so much for the reply. Do you think he could fly fast enough though if he was invulnerable? Also in the DC universe do they equate teh ability to break the time barrier with flying faster than the speed of light?

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, with The Flash (Barry Allen) it was going faster than the speed of light and adjusting your vibrations.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

I didn't think of that, it makes perfect sense that he would need to be invulnerable at the same time. Thanks so much for the reply. Do you think he could fly fast enough though if he was invulnerable? Also in the DC universe do they equate teh ability to break the time barrier with flying faster than the speed of light?
Before 1985, it was largely a matter of being able to travel fast enough; many people seemed to do it (even Dawnstar sort-of did in DC Comics Presents 17, but this seems to have been an isolated instance).

Since 1985, it isn't just speed; Pocket-Universe Superboy could but Superman couldn't, and even the Flashes had more problems in time travelling, even with their Cosmic Treadmill.

Basically, in the mid-80s DC realized time travel was too easy, and shouldn't be as taken for granted as it had become.

It would seem odd for Jo to have that power on his own, at least in a controllable fashion. But we did see Jo time-travel twice in an involuntary (or partially voluntary) fashion: During the Reflecto saga (v.2 277-283) and in his Egyptian exile (v.4, spread out between 10 and 20).

In the first case, he survived an energy attack and was thought dead but was actually immaterial, invisible and undetectable; in a panic he thought Superboy could help and found he could propel himself back in time to him, something he could not do (or never tried) as a solid person.

In the second case, the weapon that shot him was a temporal weapon that sent him back in time 5,000 years, but deposited him on Khundia, far, far from the place he was shot (Winath). So there Jo was able to withstand time travel across space, a presumably harsher condition than time travelling without leaving the same environment (a consideration most CB writers ignore anyway).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Ok, do the Legion comics take place in the Milky Way galaxy as a whole or do the characters travel from one galaxy to the other in their ships or with Superboy flying through space? Just from reading the comics this is not clear to me.

What is the limit in size to the DC universe (in regards to where the storylines take place. I have a map from DC games which seems to indicate that the Khundish empire, The Dominion, The Dark Circle, and UP Space are all part of the Milky Way Galaxy. Does anyone know if this is true. The map is rather poor and provides no scale in miles or light years so it is tough to get much out of it. The only thing I really get is the location of planets in comparison to one another, but again no scale.

Anyone have a good DC map? Anyone know if the above empires are all in the Milky Way?

--------------------

Triplicate Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triplicate Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think I've seen the map you're thinking of. I don't know if there's a better one.

The Legion is generally limited to our galaxy. Green Lanterns, whereas, range across the universe (though the writers' conception of the spatial universe makes no sense).

--------------------
Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it was said Mon-EL was stronger because he had all his weaknesses gone. He had his Serum to protect him from lead and he wasn't vunerable to Kryptonite. That's why he was "stronger".

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
I think I've seen the map you're thinking of. I don't know if there's a better one.

The Legion is generally limited to our galaxy. Green Lanterns, whereas, range across the universe (though the writers' conception of the spatial universe makes no sense).

Yea, I think it's time to make my own on the computer. I'll end up making a lot of my own calls as to what is where, distance between worlds, that sort of thing.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

For what it's worth, I believe the Khunds were originally described as being "from a distant galaxy", but more recent depictions have tended to move them much closer to Earth.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Do we have a list of EVERY Legion series and mini-series somewhere? I know we have the recent compliled list offered by one of the fans, but I'm talking about a title list we could take to the store and use as a shopping guide. I'm sure there are tons of titles and spin offs people like myself are unware of and therefore don't go to that section of the comic archive files. If no such list is available I think we should have a sticky thread for such a list. This type of list would be invaluable for those who are "getting into the hobby" either for the first time or from a leave of absence. This type of list should include:

The title
The month and years that it ran
The issue numbers
Also what "Legion" it is tied to....original, reboot, etc.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

There's the Legion Checklist over in the Encyclopedia Galactica section of this site. Currently, it's only updated to 1976, however.
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Sounds like it's really outdated, I'd expect most of the mini-series came in the 1990's as well as the 80's and 90's seeing the majority of the title changes. What can we do to update it?

--------------------

Triplicate Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triplicate Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.legionclubhouse.com/wiki/index.php?title=Legion_Publication_History

--------------------
Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 67 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  65  66  67   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.