Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 44)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
Community on NBC ... it's getting better and better ... Danny Pudi is great ...

Community rules!

30 Rock, anyone?

Yeah, Community rules! 30 Rock is great too, but I don't watch it faithfully like Community or the Office or Parks and Recreation ... I tend to save up a bunch of 30 Rocks and watch them all at once ...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
Where are you watching the "Up Series," Ex? It sounds amazing ... like a longitudinal psychological study ... I'd like to check it out ...

I've been renting them from Netflix (though if you have the service, they can actually be watched online on the Netflix site). You're right about the longitudinal study comparison... the director, Michael Apted, admits on the commentary that it probably wasn't until about 14 years in that he realized the series was no longer just a political statement about class divisions, but really about the human experience as a whole. I think you'd really like it, Sharky.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I mentioned the series to my friend today, and it turns out she's a big fan and has the first few series on dvd, so hopefully I'll be checking it out very soon ... thanks for posting about it!

--------------------

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
The latest Community (Physical Eduation) had me laughing very hard. It's actually replaced 30 Rock as my favorite comedy...and I love 30 Rock.

The 7UP series sounds amazing.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The History Boys

On a bit of an intermission but so far, blows away carpe diems and such. Not yet "To Sir With Love," but funnier.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Community is a great series! A lot of differen characters bring the funny. I love the roll credits sequences each episode.

30 Rock is one I dong follow but catch sometimes. My wife hates it because they always win awards. I watched the Jon Hamm episodes recently on a plane (love Mad Men) and thought they were great.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Lately I've been addicted to a group of documentaries collectively called the "Up Series".

In 1963, a group of English 7-year olds from different backgrounds were interviewed on topics ranging from the class system to race relations to gender issues. The conceit was that these children would be representatives of the generation who would be in power in the year 2000. The initial program was called "7 Up".

The same group was interviewed 7 years later at age 14, and thus started a series that could very easily be called the first "reality series," as subsequent entries visited the same group at ages 21, 28, 35, 42, and 49, with "56 Up" currently in preproduction.

I'm up to the 35 episode and am just astounded at what a beautiful experiment this series is. It's like a stone was skipped through time, allowing you just the briefest touch points as you watch these fourteen people grow in ways that for some you could have well predicted at age 7, but for others you never could have imagined.

I'm not doing it justice, but it's good, good stuff.

I love this series! I first saw 7, 14 & 21 Up when I was a teenager and have caught the rest (up to 42) as each one came out. It made me kinda feel like I was growing up with them.

It's a devastatingly powerful series. Just thinking about how all the grand hopes and dreams of those 7 and 14 year-olds are either slowly destroyed by the bitter disappointments and mundane realities of growing up and facing a harsh world, or are ultimately fulfilled and transcended through their acceptance and happiness in the lives they eventually find for themselves, makes me emotional even now.

There is a US version and I think a couple of other countries have versions too but the UK one is definitely the best (and by far the longest running) so I would recommend starting there if anyone is interested in checking them out.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

I'm in the middle of 28Up ... truly an amazing examination of the paths one's life can take ... I've gotten so invested in some of the participants' lives, I have to keep myself from "spoiling" it by looking up on wikipedia what happened to everybody ...

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I rewatched Clue with my wife the other day. You know, it holds up pretty well! Its funny, the actors & actresses all deliver in every scene and there is a great bit of mystery in it to make you think. The dialogue is snappy and it shows just how awesome Tim Curry might have been if he'd had the career Clue made it seem like he might have had. I used to love this movie as a kid and I like it even more as an adult.

I also watched The Wicker Man (the original); this is the second time I've seen it. But wow, I forgot how offbeat and weird it is! It's not scary really, and only eerie for like two minutes in total--but rather, just plain weird. But that isn't a bad thing, as I do like the movie quite a bit. You can see how it played on the fears of people during the early 70's and their inability to understand the hippie movement post-Charles Manson. Christopher Lee is incredible as always though here he is obviously just enjoying being Christopher Lee and playing parts in the Hammer horror films in whatever way he felt like playing just then. And of course the final few minutes are just fantastic and horrific--again, not scary, just horrific because it feels so realistic. I think in terms of horror movies, the Wicker Man stands apart in a class of its own; I wish more directors would go this route and just get completely offbeat.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

As for TV, besides Lost I'm kind of just catching things here and there these days. One show I've started trying to watch when I can is House. Its on basically all the time but I of course am watching all the seasons out of order. That's okay because the show is really just fantastic. Hugh Laurie does a great job but so does his large supporting cast, and the writing is intelligent and thought-provoking. Great show--I'm considering buying the seasons.

And I find myself watching Castle more and more. It's one of those shows that's just plain fun and it thrives on the strengths of the actors. Both of the two leads are smart, funny, have great dialogue, have emotional and poignant moments when it calls for it and have incredible sexual tension. It's more light-hearted and in all the best ways.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^ I love Clue. I must have seen it at least a hundred times. It's weird that an actor as talented and charismatic as Tim Curry is didn't have a bigger career.

Something I'm watching - Fringe. A friend leant me the first season on DVD and I'm about 5-6 episodes in. He told me it was a bit like The X-Files but to that I want to say "I knew The X-Files and this sir is no X-Files." I'm finding it really boring. And I don't like any of the characters either. My love of JJ Abrams (thanks be to Lost) is the only thing keeping me going at this point.

So my question is - Have any of you Legion Worlders watched it? Does it get better? Should I stick with it?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I lost interest in "Fringe" after two or three episodes. I found it very annoying, with a "weird just for the sake of being weird" vibe.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I was on the fence about Fringe for the first few episodes but thought it got better as it went along. It never gets mindblowingly good or anything, but worth watching I'd say. I haven't watched the second season.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
As I type this I'm watching the episodes of Flashforwad that are available on abc.com.

It's pretty impressive. Wish I'd been watching it all along.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Peter Graves' passing has made me break out the Mission: Impossible DVDs. Reviews of selected episodes to come.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.